spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ListedGuru
join:2001-09-14
Canton, MI

ListedGuru

buying own cable modem

Does WOW have a list of approved modems? I'm thinking about buying my own cable modem to get away from paying the $5.00 month rental fee. Is a Motorola surfboard modem okay?

Thanks,

-LeeC
gen2Hipster
join:2013-09-02
Palm Harbor, FL

gen2Hipster

Using a surfboard SBG6580 here perfectly fine.
adam1991
join:2012-06-16
united state

adam1991 to ListedGuru

to ListedGuru
See my post on this elsewhere here, but this may not work out well.

If--make that when--you have broadband problems, WOW will tell you that (despite the DOCSIS standards) they cannot get the information they need to help you from your personal modem. But if you had one of theirs, they can get everything they need to start the process.

So when there's an issue you'll end up going to the WOW office and picking up one of theirs, and paying the five bucks/month until they resolve the problem and you take it back. Lather, rinse, repeat as needed.

What a pain.

Beware.
anobix
join:2010-03-01
Columbus, OH

anobix to ListedGuru

to ListedGuru
SB6120 here for the past couple years, easily paid for itself

va176thunder
Columbus, OH

va176thunder to ListedGuru

to ListedGuru
I picked up a SB6121 off of Amazon, and after they pushed they pushed the right firmware to it, it worked great.
ListedGuru
Canton, MI

ListedGuru

Would a docsis 2.0 modem work with WOW? I'm only on the 15mb plan and have acess to a 2.0 modem...

-LeeC
devolved
join:2012-07-11
Rapid City, SD

devolved

Docsis 2.0 is fine for your speed tier. You'll need a Docsis 3.0 for 30mb and up.

But even if you invested in a Docsis 3.0 modem now, you'll be invested for the future, as 3.0 is backward compatible.
LittleBigToe
join:2005-08-06
Prospect Heights, IL

LittleBigToe

said by devolved:

Docsis 2.0 is fine for your speed tier. You'll need a Docsis 3.0 for 30mb and up.

Not true,,, at least with the SB5101U which is docsis 2.0. I would only get 8mb down on the 15mb plan.

Best bet, get the SB6141. Worked from the get go after a call in to give my mac ID with no problems.

Don't be put off by some folks who say it's not a good idea. I've been running my own modems for about 10+ and never had a problem communicating with WOW if there was a problem. The only time I needed a rental for 1 month was after the one I was using previous to the SB5101U crapped out.
baess
join:2011-01-28

baess

said by LittleBigToe:

Not true,,, at least with the SB5101U which is docsis 2.0. I would only get 8mb down on the 15mb plan.

Best bet, get the SB6141. Worked from the get go after a call in to give my mac ID with no problems.

Don't be put off by some folks who say it's not a good idea. I've been running my own modems for about 10+ and never had a problem communicating with WOW if there was a problem. The only time I needed a rental for 1 month was after the one I was using previous to the SB5101U crapped out.

WOW stopped supporting that modem long ago. Even with that I have an SB5100 and it will get 15mb easily so not sure why yours doesn't. Problem is it's not consistent especially during peak usage times.

OP should get the same DOCSIS 2 modem WOW uses. It's what I and many others use with no issues.

»www.ebay.com/sch/i.html? ··· from=R40

It will pay for itself in less than three months. If he wants to go to DOCSIS 3 he can do that in the future.
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count to ListedGuru

to ListedGuru
docsis 2.0 can do 15 meg download easily. I was using my own webstar docsis 2 modem before getting ultratv and was getting 15 meg download without any issues.

it's all about getting the correct config file downloaded to it so it runs at peak speeds.
adam1991
united state

adam1991 to LittleBigToe

to LittleBigToe
said by LittleBigToe:

Don't be put off by some folks who say it's not a good idea. I've been running my own modems for about 10+ and never had a problem communicating with WOW if there was a problem.

See this thread:

»Internet drops every 30 minutes

nadams5755
join:2001-11-13
San Jose, CA

nadams5755 to ListedGuru

to ListedGuru
sb6121 here, no problems for over 2 years.

none of technology is perfect. if wow performs tests (swap with wow-owned, signals, errors, etc) and it shows your modem is at fault, it's on you to replace it. that's what you get for $5/mo, wow manages the modem.
adam1991
united state

adam1991 to ListedGuru

to ListedGuru
my point is, they stop right away when it's your modem and they insist they can't do anything else unless it's one of their modems.

We all know that's crap, but that's the game they play. So if there's any broadband trouble whatsoever, you're stuck with driving to their office and swapping things out and then when they discover the problem is entirely outside your house and in their infrastructure somewhere, you get to swap everything back.
Body Count
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count

It's not crap. They can't do anything with your modem. If they break your modem then they are liable for replacing it which they will not do. So in the business sense they are doing the right thing by not touching your modem.

it's the price you pay for not renting one of their modems.
ListedGuru
Canton, MI

ListedGuru to baess

to baess
So I should buy a webstar modem then for docsis 2? For some reason I figured WOW used a Motorola surfboard modem for docsis 2.0

I'm currently using an Arris cable/phone modem but I'm not going to be on their phone service for much longer...

-Thanks,

-LeeC
devolved
join:2012-07-11
Rapid City, SD
Ooma Telo

devolved to LittleBigToe

to LittleBigToe
I had a Docsis 2.0 modem and upgraded to 30 megabits several months ago. Unaware that Docsis 2.0 modems couldn't go faster than 15 megabits, I traded the Docsis 2.0 modem for a 3.0 modem and now get the 30 megabits I'm paying for. Docsis 2.0 is good for up to 15 megabits down. The only way the tech knew what my problem was because he probed my modem and saw it was a Docsis 2.0 modem. So he ha scheduled a service call to swap out my old modem for a new one. My complaint to him initially was I told him I upgraded to the 30/5 and was only getting 15/2 and I wondered why I wasn't getting any speed increase. He confirmed after looking at the diagnostic screen that the modem showed it was a Docsis 2.0 modem connected to the cable headend at Docsis 2.0 speed (15/2). Talk to any tech and they will tell you that if you plan to up your speed above 15 megabits, you better have a Docsis 3.0 modem. Else you're not going to see any noticeable benefits in speed.
devolved

devolved to adam1991

to adam1991
They're not responsible for the modem you purchased, you are.

JustAnITGuy
@hfh.edu

JustAnITGuy

Anon

I was previously on a Linksys CM100 (DOCSIS 2.0) Cable Modem with the 15/1 plan, and I was pulling 15-17 downstream and 2.1-2.3 upstream. I then upgraded to the 30/3 plan and kept my CM100 even though the tech told me I wouldn't get full speed. I already know the DOCSIS 2.0 spec allows for 38 down and 27 up, but is limited by single channels on both, so I went ahead with the faster plan and the older modem. For reference I am a Network Administrator and usually know more then the various tech support staff at times. I was actually getting about 25-28 down but only 1.6-1.7 up with the old modem, so a DOCSIS 2.0 modem is "capable" of achieving the 30 Mbps speeds easily, provided that your ISP supports the use of that Cable Modem through their firmware even if it is a generic profile. The main issue is that my speeds would drop to around 12-18 down at peak times, which I knew was related to it being on the single channel. Because of these sporadic slowdowns, I bought the Cisco DPC3010 (DOCSIS 3.0) and I am now at a solid 29-32 down and 3.3-3.5 up, and all the slowdowns are gone. WOW uses all 8 channels for the downstream, but only two channels for the upstream on the 30/3 plan. I am guessing that if you upgrade to the 50/5 plan, you might get three of four channels active on the upstream.
Body Count
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count

That's funny about your CM100 modem. I had the same modem and always had issues during prime time (around 9:00 PM). I would lose connection for 5-10 minutes at a time. It would always end around 11 PM to Midnight though. After doing a Google search on it, I found others with the same exact problem as me.

Found out that WOW didn't have a config file made for that modem thus it was running at default docsis 1.0 speeds. After looking up the docsis 1.0 spec on the wiki I found that the 1.0 version had issues when a lot of people were on the node. This is why they came out with version 2.0 to fix that issue. I put one and one together and figured it out. During prime time was when my neighborhood would get online thus my modem would basically crash.

I'm shocked that you had no issues with yours. Either your node has no one on it, or you were not online when it did happen.

JustAnITGuy
@hfh.edu

JustAnITGuy

Anon

I had the CM100 for about 4-5 years on WOW, previously in Berkley, MI, and just now moving to Rochester Hills, MI. I am not sure of the version of my CM100, but I bought it from NewEgg for $20 as a refurb, so I was really happy with that price. I will check the firmware version on that unit tonight, as maybe I had a later version. The firwmare on my DPC3010 is d3000-v302r125561-120727a.bin and has been flawless so far. They might have applied the wrong default config file to your modem which might have been your issue, as technically, any DOCSIS 2.0 modem should handle ALL conections up to 38/27 as per the DOCSIS 2.0 spec.
JustAnITGuy

JustAnITGuy

Anon

Just got home from work - the hardware version of my CM100 is v54.0, and the software version is 0.0.6.13170.
baess

baess to JustAnITGuy

to JustAnITGuy
said by Anon80:

They might have applied the wrong default config file to your modem which might have been your issue, as technically, any DOCSIS 2.0 modem should handle ALL conections up to 38/27 as per the DOCSIS 2.0 spec.

Making sure your own modem is configured correct is many times an issue. It took help here to get several SB6120 (and similar) configured correct. Just calling CS doesn't work many times.

Also it has to be a "supported" modem. Are both of those Ciscos supported?
My old DOCSIS 2.0 Moto supposedly wasn't supported anymore. Since I was having issues I bought the same modem WOW uses, assuring it would be supported/configured correct.

JustaAnITGuy
@wideopenwest.com

JustaAnITGuy to JustAnITGuy

Anon

to JustAnITGuy
Just releasing we kinda strayed away from the real subject of the thread, and I don't wanna thread steal. So...

...WOW does NOT post their list of approved modems anymore, however, you can ask them via the phone if you have a question about a specific modem, but remember, you may get differ answers, as not all the techs know as much as the next one. For starters, a DOCSIS 2.0 modem will be perfect for the 15/1 and lower tiers, but will work decently on the 30/3 plan, but you may not get full speed due to the single channel. If you go with the 50/5 plan, you will definitely need a DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

ARRIS and Motorola are now the same company essentially. The ARRIS line is the corporate line, and the Motorola line is the consumer line. Both of these are great units. Cisco is the other top brand for modems, and any of these three make great devices. The other brands are either cheaper or not in the field enough to make a solid judgement.

If you are buying a modem, I would suggest a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, as they can be had for almost the same price as the older DOCSIS 2.0 modems. For example, I just purchased my Cisco DPC3010 (8x4)1 month ago for $35 shipped off of eBay, and a brand new unit would cost $60-$100 depending on sale and store. The Motorola SB6120 (4x4), SB6121 (4x4), SB6181 (8x4), and SB6580 (8x4) are all great units. I would personally choose the SB6181 out of that list, as I prefer to use my own wireless router, and I would not want to be limited to the 4 downstream channels of the SB6120/SB6121. HOWEVER, if you can find a great sale on a brand new unit, or a great price on a good used one, that will be the deal sealer.

JustAnITGuy
@wideopenwest.com

JustAnITGuy to baess

Anon

to baess
It actually doesn't have to be supported, as they have 'default' config files that they can push, and sometimes this is the better way to go. I have seen them incorrectly configure supported modems and you will see issues on your connection. The plus side to supported, is that they "hopefully" will release updated config scripts that will fix certain issues. The plus side to the default script, is that most of the time you should see increased speeds as they have to allow for more modem types. The downside to this, is that IF you have issues with your device, you may not see a fix happen, or you might see it with the next default file however those fixes are far and few between.

My CM100 was on the original supported list when I bought it, but the phone tech I spoke to knew nothing about the DPC3010, so I took a gamble on it, but at $35 it wasn't much of a gamble. Heck, that tech told me my CM100 would NOT work on the 30/3 plan, but I knew better, I just didn't get a full and reliable speed.
kevinbuckeye
join:2011-10-19
Columbus, OH

kevinbuckeye to ListedGuru

to ListedGuru
Dan,
I was thinking of getting the motorola sbg6782. Do you anticipate WOW would be able to push firmware upgrades to the modem in the future? It's a new modem and I wouldn't want to be stuck on the original firmware if there was some type of problem.

Thanks.
Body Count
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count to JustAnITGuy

to JustAnITGuy
said by Anon80:

Just got home from work - the hardware version of my CM100 is v54.0, and the software version is 0.0.6.13170.

Here's my original thread about my CM100 modem issues. This was before I figured it out.

»[Cable] Cisco CM100 modem and WOW (Wide Open West) Cable

Always nice getting help from someone who didn't believe me when I said it was my modem webpage and not my router.

Here's my second thread about the subject with a little more information on it.

»Anyone use the Cisco CM100 modem?
baess

baess to JustAnITGuy

to JustAnITGuy
said by Anon80:

It actually doesn't have to be supported, as they have 'default' config files that they can push, and sometimes this is the better way to go. I have seen them incorrectly configure supported modems and you will see issues on your connection.

I was told my old modem was no longer "supported". I believe they went on to say by that they meant they wouldn't be updating the firmware and that's why I was having issues (inconsistent speeds during peak usage times). I think firmware and config files are different (obviously I'm not that well versed). Since it was not supported they wouldn't troubleshoot any further so I figured it was easier to get a different modem.

JustAnITGuy
@wideopenwest.com

JustAnITGuy

Anon

Wow, that guy didn't have the luck of the Irish when getting his IQ. Even if I didn't have the same modem and know the page, the text in the upper right, "Cable Modem" kinda gives it away. Even if you don't trust that text, look at the model number and do a Google search on it, and you'll see what it is. That was quite humorous. Well, not knowing everything about your setup, I see two possible issues. One is that the software is much different then mine, and it might have a bug in it with WOW service....I am not sure about that but simply taking a guess as mine worked perfectly even with the 15/1 service and almost full speed with the 30/3 service. The biggest thing to jump out at me is the 52 dBmV Upstream power, as that is insanely high. You want a power in the 40's preferably, and mine was around 34-37 dBmV which was great for my speeds. When you get to around 50-52dBmV you can start to experience network dropouts and it will be even worse at 53 or higher. My guess is that you had something wrong with the cable, connections, splitters, or something. There are a couple of threads that show recommended signal levels and explain what they all mean.

This is a good start:
»Cable Modems and Wiring Issues »What kind of signal levels do I want on my cable modem?
Body Count
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count

said by Anon80:

Wow, that guy didn't have the luck of the Irish when getting his IQ. Even if I didn't have the same modem and know the page, the text in the upper right, "Cable Modem" kinda gives it away. Even if you don't trust that text, look at the model number and do a Google search on it, and you'll see what it is. That was quite humorous. Well, not knowing everything about your setup, I see two possible issues. One is that the software is much different then mine, and it might have a bug in it with WOW service....I am not sure about that but simply taking a guess as mine worked perfectly even with the 15/1 service and almost full speed with the 30/3 service. The biggest thing to jump out at me is the 52 dBmV Upstream power, as that is insanely high. You want a power in the 40's preferably, and mine was around 34-37 dBmV which was great for my speeds. When you get to around 50-52dBmV you can start to experience network dropouts and it will be even worse at 53 or higher. My guess is that you had something wrong with the cable, connections, splitters, or something. There are a couple of threads that show recommended signal levels and explain what they all mean.

This is a good start:
»Cable Modems and Wiring Issues »What kind of signal levels do I want on my cable modem?

This was a couple years ago. I sold that modem on craigslist a long time ago. Bought a webstar 2100 off ebay which solved my issues since WOW pushed their config file to it.

My signal levels are now a little more normal. That was fixed as well.