DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to Pucelle

Re: [Connectivity] Using built-in cable plugs for home network

MoCA would interfer with HSI, so you'd need to isolate the 2 coax segments.

you're only paying for HSI so you want the cable to make a direct run to the CM then have the CM connect to your router, then feed the MoCA off the Ethernet of the router.

you'll need two coax drops at the CM for this, one for comcast and one for the MoCA network.
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16

2 edits
Click for full size
MoCA should not interfere with HSI in the majority of cases. They were meant to coexist.

The "whole home" master DVR boxes used by Comcast, Cox, and TWC use MOCA boxes to talk to the slave boxes. Many of those same boxes use DOCSIS modem to download menu and guide info

See this:
»www.mocalliance.org/CEDIA/presen···tion.pdf
--
If you need help, I'm here for you. If you're wrong, expect to be called out on it. If it's important, have a back up or two. Don't complain in public if you don't want an answer...

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
Well I'd be careful some MoCA devices are on the same channel as HSI, though some aren't.
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

voiptalk

join:2010-04-10
Gainesville, VA
reply to DarkLogix
Click for full size
said by DarkLogix:

MoCA would interfer with HSI, so you'd need to isolate the 2 coax segments.

you'll need two coax drops at the CM for this, one for comcast and one for the MoCA network.

Sorry, but that's not correct. I had my CM after the MoCA bridge and it worked just fine, no interference. Just like in the pic.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

Well I'd be careful some MoCA devices are on the same channel as HSI, though some aren't.

Retail MOCA adapters, like the ones you get from Netgear, etc., all operate at 1000mhz+, which keeps them well outside HSI ranges. I can say with first hand experience they work fine together, although I wouldn't hang a moca adapter in line with a modem just from a point of failure perspective.

Most configurations I've done isolate the modem drop in the home / business off a 2 way from the drop, and a MOCA filter is placed on the other leg. This was done just to eliminate a possible point of failure, technically you could put the adapter in line. A MoCA adapter would be tied in to a splitter after the 2 way to feed the other outlets.

The only time this would cause problems is if you forget the filter, install it improperly, or someday get Anyroom DVR service.