All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
nahsha
join:2001-10-18
Montreal, QC

nahsha

Any unlimited data or UMB plans around these days?

Hello,

Any one knows about providers that offer unlimited data or UMB plans that don't block ports?

Thanks

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Most IISPs? Start, TekSavvy, eBox... they all have unlimited plans.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to nahsha

Premium Member

to nahsha
are you asking about mobile (cell based) or wired connections?
nahsha
Montreal, QC

nahsha

Hello! Sorry, I should have mentioned earlier.. I am asking about cell providers.
I haven't found any forum for cellphones but hey this is a broadband forum, so doesn't make sense to have a category I guess. Once in a while I see cellphone questions popup

Thanks!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Dream on, you're lucky to find the old $30/6gb plan

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

Yep. I'm holding onto that for dear life.
julienvf
join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC

julienvf to nahsha

to nahsha
Public Mobile offers unlimited 3g data. Tethering is disabled on their phones but with a rooted phone, you can enable this.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to HiVolt

to HiVolt
Likewise I'm holding on to my 6GB plan from Rogers with an iron grip.

WiFi
It's In The Air
join:2002-06-06
NiagaraFalls

2 edits

WiFi to nahsha

to nahsha
Wind Mobile. You might check out the Canadian cell forums on www.howardforums.com

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
Once your contract runs out Hivolt,it's gone. That's what happened to me. They then wanted $80 or so for the same thing.

GreenEnvy22
join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON

GreenEnvy22

I've not had that issue. As recently as last month I did a hardware upgrade (with 3 year term) on one of our employees who is on the 6GB plan.

Another employee I sadly had to switch to the $30 1GB Canada/US data plan (corporate) because she was using way more money in roaming in the US. The rogers rep was actually like "are you sure you want to give up this 6GB plan? it rocks!" and I said I know but had to do it. so sad.
nahsha
Montreal, QC

nahsha to WiFi

to WiFi
Thanks, these look good but they are out of Quebec..

WiFi
It's In The Air
join:2002-06-06
NiagaraFalls

WiFi

?? Wind is from Toronto. Howardforums hosts a Canadian cell forum with all of the carriers. Not understanding your comment.

GreenEnvy22
join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON

GreenEnvy22

I think he means they are outside quebec, he is looking for a quebec based one, or at least one with good quebec coverage.
nahsha
Montreal, QC

nahsha to WiFi

to WiFi
Thanks, these look good but they are out of Quebec..

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Public Mobile's primary market is Montreal... but they don't allow tethering.

There are no providers that offer unlimited data with tethering in Montreal.

Sean1
@start.ca

Sean1 to HiVolt

Anon

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by elwoodblues:

Yep. I'm holding onto that for dear life.

Is that $30 for voice and 6GB data? Or just data?

I currently get 200 daytime minutes canada-wide, unlimited: evenings/weekends/text/mms, call display, voicemail, and 6GB of data from Fido for $50/m plus tax. Are you getting better from Rogers?
loyd
join:2012-09-24
Toronto, ON

4 edits

loyd to nahsha

to nahsha
My wife has Holiday Miracle 2011 from Wind. One of features is unlimited data, 6G at full speed, then 256kbps (that is still very generous, because in theory 256kbps * 30 days = 663GB). Plus she got $400 phone included in 3yr contract (unlimited everything US/Canada) Well, the phone is worth $150 today, but it was a good ride so far. I have PAYG plan myself and my wife's phone is practically our home number.

Unlimited is overrated and mobile data is costly.

In my small town there is about 25 public free WiFi hotspots listed in WiFi Finder database, and such as TH or MCD are not even listed there. Even some shops that I know have guest access are not listed there.

Mobile data drains your battery fast, you want to be on WiFi as much as possible and on 3G as little as possible. Even 2G drains battery faster than WiFi.
loyd

loyd to julienvf

to julienvf
I like the public mobile $30/m offer. Certain services get throttled (VOIP, VPN, web video) :

»www.publicmobile.ca/pmco ··· ffic.pdf

Even throttled, the offer is very good.

And they have coverage in Montreal, QC

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Once your contract runs out Hivolt,it's gone. That's what happened to me. They then wanted $80 or so for the same thing.

Pfft. It's appropriate calling them Robbers then. I have a voice+data plan m2m promo with 6 GB on Telus right now. Apparently they never remove plans so I might have it for a long time.
alpovs
join:2009-08-08

alpovs to loyd

to loyd
said by loyd:

in theory 256kbps * 30 days = 663GB

256kbps x 30 days = 79.1GB
Because "b" - bits; "B" - bytes.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Sean1

Premium Member

to Sean1
It was 30 for 6gb of data,it would have been gone if I reupped for another couple of years.
loyd
join:2012-09-24
Toronto, ON

loyd to alpovs

to alpovs
You are totally right, my mistake.

Off topic and not arguing my DIV 8 mistake. DIV 8 formula is misleading in some cases, for example serial 8N1 link byte = 10 bits. 10Mbps DSL line is OSI Physical Layer bitrate, while 32kbps throttling rate is OSI Transport Layer bitrate and DIV 8 is appropriate here. The bitrates between layers may differ even more dramatically, for example G.723.1 8kbps voice compressed into 5.3kbps stream requires 20.8kbps of Ethernet bandwidth.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to BACONATOR26

to BACONATOR26
said by BACONATOR26:

said by elwoodblues:

Pfft. It's appropriate calling them Robbers then. I have a voice+data plan m2m promo with 6 GB on Telus right now. Apparently they never remove plans so I might have it for a long time.

I have a similar plan (voice (100 min) + text (unlimited) + data (6 GB)) with Telus for $57
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman

There are people on bell and fido that have grandfathered unlimited plans. LTE is not allowed, hspa+ only. You could try taking over one of those.

From what I remember the fair use policies of such plans limit usage to 15-20gb per month, ymmv.

Also, I believe Rogers has a max overage of 500$/ month fwiw
DSL_Ricer
Premium Member
join:2007-07-22

DSL_Ricer

Premium Member

said by Cloneman:

Also, I believe Rogers has a max overage of 500$/ month fwiw

Do you know if that's documented somewhere? I know of a situation where that may actually be a good deal.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to nahsha

MVM

to nahsha
The new wireless code sets explicit limits on overage charges though, after which Rogers would have to cut you off.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Well, my contract ends at the end of this month. If it disappears, so do I from Rogers.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

It was 30 for 6gb of data,it would have been gone if I reupped for another couple of years.

Please don't bend the truth. You posted about his yourself on these forums anyone can go look it up. You wanted Rogers to offer you something within a specific pricepoint and the best they could do was offer you a lower data plan to try to accommodate your request. The $30 for 6gb was never taken away from you, they just refused to renew the discounts on top of it and you decided to cancel. If you were willing to pay regular price for the plan you would have been able to keep it.
nahsha
Montreal, QC

nahsha

Actually, I do have an unlimited data plan from Fido, however, I only use it as home inet, I'd like to get something for streaming in the car, I currently have XM, but would like to broaden my options

I've seen pc financial unlimited data before for 7$ a month, but that was removed awhile back and its almost impossible to find people who are willing to sell now