uniqs

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf to burner50

MVM

to burner50

Re: [Connectivity] Illegal to activate my own coaxial line?

said by burner50:

I don't know about the specific system but in general, yes, a device must be installed. It is a filter that will pass only specific frequencies used by HSI, and not those used by the majority of the Video services.

This is definitely not the case with Comcast. Cable TV and HSI come in on the same coax. You don't need any filters or other devices other than a cable modem and TV box.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

said by graysonf:

said by burner50:

I don't know about the specific system but in general, yes, a device must be installed. It is a filter that will pass only specific frequencies used by HSI, and not those used by the majority of the Video services.

This is definitely not the case with Comcast. Cable TV and HSI come in on the same coax. You don't need any filters or other devices other than a cable modem and TV box.

Yes, it is. Many areas still install physical traps to only pass HSI/CDV carriers / frequency ranges and block the video carriers if the subscriber is HSI or CDV only. They are moving away from it as more areas go all digital, but it's still done and common.

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Never had any of that stuff here and cable has been for more than 25 years.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium Member
join:2002-06-05
Iowa

burner50 to graysonf

Premium Member

to graysonf
said by graysonf:

said by burner50:

I never insinuated that they were on separate lines.

You don't understand what I'm saying. You don't need any device to receive the signal... Comcast needs a device to BLOCK the services to which someone may not subscribe... This has traditionally been done with a trap or filter. If the local cable system is 100% encrypted, then a device would not be necessary.

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

I know what you are talking about.

30 years ago where I had cable TV they put a notch filter in the line to filter out channel 5 which was HBO.

The don't place filters here to prevent HSI from being consumed without payment, they authorize the modem instead.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium Member
Iowa

burner50

Premium Member

said by graysonf:

I know what you are talking about.

30 years ago where I had cable TV they put a notch filter in the line to filter out channel 5 which was HBO.

The don't place filters here to prevent HSI from being consumed without payment, they authorize the modem instead.

No, but they DO place filters to prevent VIDEO from reaching CPE when it is not subscribed... Unless the system is 100% ENC, then you would need a DTA on every TV and THOSE could be authorized at will...

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

They don't do that here. Every TV set needs a box.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

Then since that has been enacted, they wouldn't use a filter to block video on HSI subs, they can just rely on addressable CPE.

Prior to that though, it was extremely common since the dawn of cable internet. Same principal for the old filters that blocked HBO, Disney, etc.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium Member
Iowa

burner50 to graysonf

Premium Member

to graysonf
said by graysonf:

They don't do that here. Every TV set needs a box.

Well, that is a relatively modern system. Most systems around the country haven't been upgraded and are not 100% Encrypted like yours.