how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gjkiii

join:2010-12-02
Los Angeles, CA

Fios Phone Service Question

Can you tell me if Fios phone service has this feature. When someone calls me they are required to disable there caller ID for the call (perhaps by pressing zero on the keypad). I have been getting alot of calls that are "out of area" or "private" and I want to know who is calling. Thank you.

mckenna797
Premium
join:2004-08-25
Astoria, NY
"out of area" or "private"
Most likely they are telmarketers

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to gjkiii
I used to have FIOS phone service but not anymore. I am 90% positive there was a feature called "anonymous call rejection". I don't remember if anonymous callers where just dropped or were given a message to unblock their caller id and call again (and then also dropped) but it was one of these 2 choices. The point is, when the call is already in progress they can't unblock caller ID by pressing anything - they have to call again.

squirrel21

join:2007-03-12
New Port Richey, FL
reply to gjkiii
I use to have FIOS phone as part of triple play but have since dropped to Internet only. When we had POTS with Verizon, we paid extra for I believe was call or privacy manager, which would force such callers to supply some sort of info, thus screening out computer generated calls. We had to pay extra for it and I'll bet Verizon will also charge you and arm & leg for the service. A good VOIP service will provide the same service for free and is quite convenient. I use ViaTalk myself which can screen such callers, and I'm happy with the service.

Call Verizon and add it on to your package or switch to a good VOIP. You can check the reviews of VOIP providers on this site.

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to gjkiii
I don't think "out of area" or "private" will be blocked by a phone company. it's been a while since I researched that, but there are 2 means of identifying callers, and if the one is messed with, you can't get the ID. I think it can only be blocked if "anonymous" is used. I think the reason is phone companies want political and telemarketing and some others to get through. there are phone adapters on the internet that are sold that will block anything without a phone number though.

HD_Ride
Premium
join:2000-10-18
Jerseyastan
reply to gjkiii
VZ does have (or had) a feature for callers who are blocking their number from being displayed on your CID, it’s called “Call Intercept”. That comes with an additional fee on Freedom Essentials & POTS. Sound great right, it’s a waste of money because the workaround for telemarketers and scammers is just to spoof their number.. Needless to say we dropped Call Intercept.

As mentioned above 3rd party VoIP services are your best bet for privacy features and ALL features for that matter. They have all kinds of features, for example you whitelist all your contacts and everyone else goes to voicemail. Or any calls after 9:00pm go to voicemail. Distinct rings for certain contacts like Mom, earmark any number to always go to voicemail and on and on… VZ has barebones phone service which is ironic since they started as the phone company, now it’s their worst product.

Shady Bimmer
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Northport, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to gjkiii
If you already subscribe to caller-id service you may enable anonymous call rejection at no cost. Privacy manager and similar services go beyond that and add other features. With anonymous call rejection callers will hear a message that they need to unblock their number and try again.

Note that anonymous call rejection (or any other service that uses caller-id) is not entirely effective against telemarketers. In those cases caller-id details are often spoofed rather than blocked.

wmcbrine
213 251 145 96

join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD
kudos:1
reply to HD_Ride
said by HD_Ride:

VZ has barebones phone service which is ironic since they started as the phone company, now it’s their worst product.

One of the things they pioneered, back in the Ma Bell days, was nickel-and-diming the customer for every little thing. They seem reluctant to give up that business model. Don't get me wrong -- I think core Fios is a great service. Even Freedom Essentials (my phone service, the POTS equivalent on Fios) does away with a lot of the nonsense (in particular, long distance calling) that used to be de rigueur for telephone service. But my bill still has nine separate "fees" and five different so-called "taxes" added beyond the advertised price. You can only get that kind of service from The Phone Company.
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
said by wmcbrine:

Even Freedom Essentials (my phone service, the POTS equivalent on Fios) does away with a lot of the nonsense (in particular, long distance calling) that used to be de rigueur for telephone service. But my bill still has nine separate "fees" and five different so-called "taxes" added beyond the advertised price.

Freedom Essentials is still regulated so the rate structure you see there is legacy. Yes there's fees and taxes. Switch to Digital Voice and you'll see some of those go away, simply because it doesn't fall under that regulation umbrella.

This is one of the reasons VZ is so eager to switch subscribers from FE to FDV. There are other more bottom-line focused ones as well.