how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LoveHD

join:2011-07-31

1 edit

[Content] Comcast: Bandwidth for HD

General question for anyone who can answer....

Does Comcast have bandwidth issues which prevent the company from delivering more programmers' high definition?

This is the top cable company for subscriptions in the U.S. I don't understand whether its systems are not up to standard for capacity. With some areas getting boosts in available levels of high-speed Internet service, it would seem that Comcast could deliver even more specifically with HD.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Re: Comcast: Bandwidth for HD

they don't have SDV and I think some comcast plants are only at 750 MHz

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to LoveHD
While they don't use SDV and many systems are at 750 as Joe mentioned, right now in the Delaware and Philly region they are sitting on handfuls of open QAM's right now. And on 9/30 more space will be claimed when ESPN3D is taken down. I'm not sure what they are up to. They'll either continue to sit on it - or, are prepping for another HD push. In my area, we haven't seen an HD addition in 15 months. And I'm in the home turf of Comcast. But, as with any company other than Brighthouse, getting info on HD channels is harder to obtain than top secret war documents.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to LoveHD
they will most likely add more docsis carriers, as more and more x1 is rolled out they will need the bandwidth.
--
I'm better than you!

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to JeepMatt
By me, and I think other areas, ESPN3D is paired with the Xfinity 3D channel. Whether or not they open up the other half to something is hard to say, although I wouldn't be surprised to see Comcast drop their 3D channel, too.

By me, there are tons of open channels, although some in VHF-Low (RF2-RF6) may not be usable due to noise. What's weird is that many in Chicago, where I think some areas are still sub 850MHz, have FXX-HD, but I don't (and I can't watch FXX OnDemand as it says I don't have a subscription to the channel, even though I have Preferred and can watch the linear channel.)

To add, Comcast is also setting more and more channels aside for HSI and OnDemand. By me, OnDemand used to be 4 channels, then 8, now it's up to 12 as far as I can tell.

LoveHD

join:2011-07-31
reply to LoveHD
Thanks, everyone, for your responses!

I hate to, but I have to, admit that I don't exactly get the technology. I looked up some of this and came to Wikipedia.org's explanation @ »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_ca ··· al_cable. (Or part of it.)

Digital cable channels typically are allocated above 552 MHz, the upper frequency of cable channel 78. (Cable channels above channel 13 are at lower frequencies than UHF broadcast channels with the same number, as seen in North American cable television frequencies.) Between 552 and 750 MHz, there is space for 33 6-MHz channels (231–396 SDTV channels); when going all the way to 864 MHz, there is space for 52 6-MHz channels (364–624 SDTV channels).

In the U.S., digital cable systems with 750 MHz or greater activated channel capacity are required to comply with a set of SCTE and CEA standards, and to provide CableCARDs to customers that request them.
With the channels lineups varying from one market to another (and some franchises within some of the markets), I was curious whether the huge Chicago, Illinois has had cuts in mulit-screens of premium movie programmers' HD because of capacity problems from Comcast.

If this is a huge issue for so many of its systems, wouldn't Comcast have to upgrade substantially in order to accommodate considerably more programmers' high def. …No?

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
That thing about digital cable being mainly above 552MHz is out of date. That was when there were still many analog channels. By me, we have digital channels as low as RF7 (177MHz).