uniqs
share rss forum feed

Goliath

join:2007-01-19
Easton, PA

1 edit

[Connectivity] Transmit Power way too high.. Easton, PA

Click for full size
i called and made an appointment to have this issue checked into but the CS Rep was clueless as to what i was talking about. can someone please help me out.

Pacomartin

join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

Is this the first time you got this reading? Are you having problems? Describe your connection (house, apartment), how many splits in your wiring; if you are using RG-6 or RG-59 coaxial.

For example, I have a point of entry into a four way splitter. One line goes to the cable modem via a MoCa Bridge, and the other three go to televisions. I am at the end of cable run in a house at the end of a rural street.
I have RG-6 coaxial running from the street to the point of entry, then RG-6 to cable modem, but RG-59 to the televisions.

Goliath

Easton, PA

this is the first time i have had this high power reading.. i purchased this house 3 years ago and ive always kept an eye on my levels. i don't see any splitters anywhere aside from the one that's at the point of entry (4 way split).

i noticed last week that i was dropping my connection but i never bothered to check my levels until today.

i really couldn't tell u the wiring that's running into the house because its 9 pm but i'll reply tomorrow with that information.

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

They will probably ask you to simplify your wiring so that there are no splitters, and no wireless (just ethernet from cable modem to your computer.

Try customer service again. If they sound confused, tell them you will begin to read from their own customer support page. If you get past the first sentence, and they still sound confused, tell her to repeat the sentence to their supervisor and transfer you to someone in technical support who can help you.

said by RCN Help page :
Transmit (return) Power:
Represents how "loud" your modem must talk for RCN"s facilies to hear you.
The same way you raise your voice in a crowded restaurant for someone to hear you over the background noise modems do the exact same thing.
Only in the case of cable modem"s, the background noise your neighbors R.C. car, those power lines down the street, HAM radio operators and even that "Amplifier" that you might have purchased to enhance a picture quality.
As with the forward power, every device between your modem and RCN"s facilities represents a degree of loss that forces your modem to talk louder.
The same information on forward power applies in that every splitter between your modem and the outside of your house means the modem must talk louder.
I was dropping my connection and I found a defective coaxial cable. I am a little more careful to have the thicker RG-6 coax leading to the cable modem. The televisions seem to be less sensitive, and since there is no problem with the thinner RG-59, I have not rewired the entire house.

Goliath

Easton, PA

there isnt really a way to simply for the wiring any more.. i have 3 tivo's and the modem in the house; thus having the 4 way splitter.

she booked me an appointment for Wednesday so hopefully its just the splitter outside gone bad. as far as the coax in the house; its all behind the walls, so i changing it out will be a nightmare.

jcjost

join:2004-08-21
Bethesda, MD

1 recommendation

You might consider replacing the 4-way splitter with first a 2-way splitter and then a 3-way splitter. One leg of the 2-way splitter would go directly to your cable modem, the other leg would go to the 3-way splitter, which would then go to your various Tivo's.

Regards,
John

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

said by jcjost:

You might consider replacing the 4-way splitter with first a 2-way splitter and then a 3-way splitter.

That is solid advice in general! Cable TV can stand signal loss much better than cable modems.

But it will still only improve by 3-4 dB. If the OP has been watching the power levels over several years, and they suddenly spike, it is unlikely that this simple fix will help.

Lhvfix

@rcn.com

said by Pacomartin:

said by jcjost:

You might consider replacing the 4-way splitter with first a 2-way splitter and then a 3-way splitter.

That is solid advice in general! Cable TV can stand signal loss much better than cable modems.

But it will still only improve by 3-4 dB. If the OP has been watching the power levels over several years, and they suddenly spike, it is unlikely that this simple fix will help.

The simple fix will help OP get a more stable connection til the underlying problem is fixed which is likely noise on the return path causing higher transmit levels. The noise can originate anywhere along the node and cause hundreds of modems to "work harder"

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA

»images.dipol.com.pl/pict/r6024+.jpg
Wouldn't a 4 way tap (3 TV's and 1 future use) work better?

Lhvfix

@rcn.com

2 way then 3 way as suggested would average 10-11db loss to tv and 3-4db on the modem. The device you recommend paco would create 15-18db loss on tv so how is that better?

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

said by Anon80:

The device you recommend paco would create 15-18db loss on tv so how is that better?

The loss to the modem would be a lot less than 3-4 dB. By my calculations it would be less than 1 dB.

You're taking a bigger loss on cable feeding the TV's so that you have less loss for the cable modem.

Lhvfix

@rcn.com

Jcjost's great suggestion of using a 2 way with 1 leg feeding modem is 3-4db loss. Your device may have 1db loss on the TV leg but 15-18db loss on other 4 legs will cause pixelation due to very low levels. Theres a reason rcn doesnt install splitters like the one you suggest.

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

said by Anon80:

Your device may have 1db loss on the TV leg..

I would put the 1 dB loss on the modem leg...

Goliath

Easton, PA

*Update

The tech came to my house today and changed all the fittings outside my house, as well as checking the tap and changing some fittings there.

Reset the modem & router; problem solved! There must have been a loose or damaged connection outside..

Thanks to everyone who posted here and RCN's tech for helping me get everything back to normal.

*updated picture coming soon!!

Goliath

Easton, PA

1 edit

Mod Note: obscured modem mac

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
reply to Lhvfix

said by Anon80:

Theres a reason rcn doesnt install splitters like the one you suggest.

I rescind my suggestion to use a tap. Lhvfix is correct. The levels would be too low to the TV.
Expand your moderator at work