Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

OldSatUser

join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH
reply to Hartflat

Re: Grounding issues with new install

Exede requires solid copper cable to work properly. If your installer did not use solid copper cable (copper clad isn't good enough), then you need to contact customer service to get an installer out to your location and fix the install.

james1979
Premium
join:2012-10-09
Quinault, WA

2 edits

First, Hartflat, I hope that you don't mind me "expanding the scope" of your thread. if you do, just say so.

said by OldSatUser:

Exede requires solid copper cable to work properly. If your installer did not use solid copper cable (copper clad isn't good enough), then you need to contact customer service to get an installer out to your location and fix the install.

A re-installation would be expensive as the installers insisted upon an extended cable run ($150 extra) across my driveway (contradicting previous installers who showed up without a pole and concrete and therefore couldn't perform the installation). The installers just left the cable "buried" under 1/2" of crushed gravel. I had to rent a trencher, and then borrow my neighbor's tractor, and then buy new gravel to bury the cable and then repair my driveway. As to whether the installer used the wrong cable, some Chinese company sold him an out-of-spec cable, or copper clad cable is approved for Exede-12, I wouldn't know. Since there is a cable loop, the cheapest thing to do is just snip off the rusted crumbling, exposed ground wire, strip off the insulation and use the unrusted wire for the grounding block every year or two. (I am not altering the installation of course.)

I was surprised to learn that HughesNet does allow the use of copper clad steel or bronze for grounding wire:

»d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3···78228298