just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

1 recommendation

camper to JasonOD

Premium Member

to JasonOD

Re: [IPv6] Why all the hoopla over IPv6?

said by Anon80:

Anyway Comcast can monetize IPv6? I'm thinking along the lines of NAT elimination where Comcast would be able to count every device in a household issued an IP and bill accordingly.

That depends if you are looking at a tactical or a strategic business opportunity.

If you are looking at a tactical business opportunity, by all means, charge on a per IP address used basis.

However, if you are looking to develop a new market as opposed to exploiting an existing market, then you would want lots of IP addresses ~out there~ so that there are a lot of devices which will create long-term "product delivery" opportunities.

Give away the platform, but charge for the applications and services built upon that platform.

When you create a new market space, you automatically have 100% market share, and your competitors have to battle you to gain their market share. When you add a new product to an existing market space, you are the competitor that is trying to get in.

From my viewpoint:

Comcast is viewing cable TV, as we currently know it, as a dying industry. That is why Comcast is putting lots of investment money into improving their HSI capabilities. That is where the future resides.

At some point, cable TV as we now know it will be an anachronism. The more flexible (and {as we have seen in the Time-Warner vs CBS dispute} amenable to content providers) video streaming will reign supreme. Netflix has seen this trend, and has appropriately shifted its focus to the Netflix streaming product.

Comcast is putting significant investment into their HSI network now, in order to have a strategic advantage five years from now. Just as google was buying up dark fiber in 2005. The people who see the trend before everyone else can buy the infrastructure much more cheaply than those who are late to the party.

My $0.02, fwiw, and ymmv and all that....