Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

1 edit

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

[Business] 2nd Business Hookup Install

So, we had a 2nd business location hooked up for Phone and Internet yesterday. At our retail location we got set up 2 years ago with the SMC D3 gateway, separate modem for phone - all has been fine.

I wasn't able to be there yesterday - but it appears they set us up with an Arris modem that appears to be about 5 years old - but, frankly, it's only for the phone so I really don't care.

However, where i'm confused is that they hooked up what appears to not even be a D3 modem, let alone a D3 gateway. Since we use MacBook's, we couldn't even test the internet yesterday since we didn't have ethernet ports available on the laptops and since it wasn't a gateway, there was no wireless. So, I have to go down to the 2nd location today with our own router - and figure out what they installed.
SeattleMatt

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Stopped by the location a bit ago -

Turns out this is what they installed:

»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net ··· evid=347

Low and behold it is a D3 8x4 gateway, but w/o any wireless options. So, we threw a Netgear on it - and all is well. I had never heard of this before in a biz location.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

nothing new. i have seen them in businesses for about 6-8 months now.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt
All the SMC's, that most people have for their business connections, aren't gateway's either. I always thought the lack of wireless was the norm for Comcast installs.

Gateway
@comcast.net

1 edit

Gateway

Anon

said by ropeguru:

All the SMC's, that most people have for their business connections, aren't gateway's either. I always thought the lack of wireless was the norm for Comcast installs.

Apparently neither you nor the OP understand the definition of "gateway". In networking, the word "gateway" is an alias for "edge router". Both the SMC and Netgear gateway boxes issued by Comcast for their HFC business class customers are indeed gateways.

WiFi accessibility is provided by a Wireless Access Point which may be either standalone devices or incorporated into a router. Just because a router does not have in internal WAP does not mean that it is not a "gateway".

Mod Note: Please don't be condescending with others here. Usually, if you keep it dry, technical and non-personal, you won't hear from a moderator. Sunny See Profile.

»Site FAQ »What are the Rules on Posting?

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Well thank you Mr. Dictionary! I'm well versed on what a gateway is, however was used to wireless gateways. Thanks for the bolded first letters - I probably wouldn't have understood you otherwise.

Gateway
@comcast.net

1 edit

Gateway

Anon

said by SeattleMatt:

Well thank you Mr. Dictionary! I'm well versed on what a gateway is, however was used to wireless gateways. Thanks for the bolded first letters - I probably wouldn't have understood you otherwise.

I am glad that you actually do understand what the term gateway means in networking; but from your original posts that was certainly not clear.

I have been involved with hundreds of Enterprise and SMB network installations, and I can count with the fingers on one hand the number of them that had a gateway router with an integrated WAP. Therefore, for me, the term gateway in no way means WAP. Apparently, your experience has been different.

Please see moderator comment in your post above.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Frankly why would you want any additional services from the device?