how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

chunk73
Premium
join:2002-02-22
Fairfield, CT

[OOL] Did CV upgrade all their public wifi hotspots?

I live in Fairfield and have noticed the hotspots are different now. No more node like component with an antenna hanging down off the wire. These are now just nodes and I am connecting at N speeds.

SHoTTa35

@kfvaluation.com
Haven't noticed those but I've noticed they now have 5Ghz ones as well. 2.4Ghz N ones have been around for a bit.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
reply to chunk73
Yeah...they have been upgrading them. They pulled the Belair strand mounted access points and replaced them with Cisco gear.

I've also noticed that they've added additional ones for denser coverage and popped directional panels on some of the Cisco APs.

Booost

@optonline.net
The ones I see are white, with three stubby white antennas.

psilocybin

join:2007-07-19
Monroe, NY
said by Anon80:

Ooo baby... who knows the model?

Fallen_Anjel

join:2011-04-07
Rocky Point, NY
reply to chunk73
I noticed they seemed faster the last few months.

cablewizzard

join:2009-06-14
Hicksville, NY
kudos:1
reply to psilocybin
said by psilocybin:

said by Anon80:

Ooo baby... who knows the model?

A trivial Google search shows the Cisco Aironet 1550 series is the only one currently shipping for outdoor and cable-plant use. The AIR-CAP1552C seems to be the model you see most often: it has internal antennas specifically for the wire cable strand (1 ft. max space) :

»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collate···373.html

There's a 1552CU model supporting external antennas - but I don't recall if I've ever seen that - it must be pretty rare. The page lists numerous antenna options, 2/5/8 dBi omnis and a 13 dBi, dual polarized patch (2.4 , values go 5Ghz vary).

andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA
reply to chunk73
All the ones in my area don't have antenna's on them, just white boxes hanging from the strand.

Booost

@optonline.net
Click for full size
We have these.