dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« My Keyring
This is a sub-selection from nice story.
ihatedslr
join:2000-12-11
US

ihatedslr to Metatron2008

to Metatron2008

Re: nice story.

I didn't say anything about doing nothing wrong... just saying if I choose to send emails to someone, it's logical that every connection point in between me and them has the opportunity to read/log/collect data. I am ok with that.

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium Member
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

Thespis

Premium Member

The same could be said about paper mail. Are you OK with that too?

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

3 edits

rebus9 to ihatedslr

to ihatedslr
said by ihatedslr:

I didn't say anything about doing nothing wrong... just saying if I choose to send emails to someone, it's logical that every connection point in between me and them has the opportunity to read/log/collect data. I am ok with that.

Well many of us are not OK with it, and it has nothing to do with hiding anything. It has everything to do with privacy.

When I use encryption to send messages, my expectation is it will be safe in transit and read only by the recipient. I shouldn't have to care if the intermediate path has been compromised-- that's the WHOLE PURPOSE of encryption.

But now that the NSA has cracked the very encryption I trusted to keep my stuff safe, it's wise to assume they aren't the only ones on the planet to have done so. Russia, China, and a small list of hostile nations have extremely talented programmers, mathematicians, and cryptanalysts. It's reasonable to assume they've made significant in-roads also, now that we see it CAN be done.

And if Snoden has taught us anything, it's that JUST ONE insider feeling morally obligated can unravel very dark, closely held secrets. Who's to say the next leak won't be the formula for using these crypto exploits? Who's to say Iran or China or Russia aren't already doing it? You think they'd tell us if they were?

Edit to add: I'm glad we know the NSA has broken our crypto systems. We needed to know what we thought was safe, isn't, so we don't ignorantly use them on blind faith. The end result will be better, stronger systems, but that will unfortunately take time.
« My Keyring
This is a sub-selection from nice story.