share rss forum feed

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to Mike Harris

Re: [Home Phone] Sorry To Get On The Slam TS Bandwagon, But . .

It would be much appreciated if you could put something about POTS in the subject line.

Regarding porting numbers.. It would be possible to port your number to VoIP but then have it forwarded to your new POTS number by the VoIP provider themselves. This is extremely reliable, and if you went with an Anveo VoIP number would only cost a few dollars per month, plus the $25 porting fee of course.

And thinks komi, very interesting that you can get ~$20/month from Bell. Any hints on how to go about getting it?
--
electronicsguru.ca

bbiab

join:2004-05-26
said by Teddy Boom:

It would be much appreciated if you could put something about POTS in the subject line.

Regarding porting numbers.. It would be possible to port your number to VoIP but then have it forwarded to your new POTS number by the VoIP provider themselves. This is extremely reliable, and if you went with an Anveo VoIP number would only cost a few dollars per month, plus the $25 porting fee of course.

And thinks komi, very interesting that you can get ~$20/month from Bell. Any hints on how to go about getting it?

Okay, so now the gears are turning. How much would say Voip.ms charge to forward a ported POTS # to a new Teksavvy POTS, is this the approach you are describing? reliable?

oceros

join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON
reply to Teddy Boom
Hm.
Is that forwarding done at the ATA level or right at the VOIP provider network side?

In other words, would the forwarding fail if the internet connection went down at home?

bbiab

Anveo Value on a free plan seems to be saying 1.5 cents per minute over 40 per day. So depending on the answer to the above question (what level forwarded) the gears are really turning now. And I guess you can configure over the internet or with support, all the while having no intention of using the VOIP? I guess the level where forwarded is key to this.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to bbiab
I do that, voip.ms forwarded to numbes, very reliable, it has been the phone I am forwarding it to acting up, when it doesn't work

$10 for the number port
$1.99/month for the number
$0.0149/minute for the incoming call
$0.0052/minute for the outgoing forwarded call

-According to my account page

To forward a telephone number to another telephone number
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON

1 edit

I think it is $25 everywhere to port the number.

Anveo has unlimited incoming for $2/month on Toronto numbers. Voip.ms does unlimited incoming for $4/month. Then you only have to pay the outgoing per minute rate, which might even be able to be a little lower than half a cent per minute on some providers.

Of course it is all in US$ and HST applies.

Very reliable in my experience. VoIP failures are typically local failures.

(Edit: and thanks for editing the title, it makes it a much more interesting and useful thread on every level )

(Edit Edit: Oh, it doesn't have home phone in the subject, just the group... It really would be helpful if it could be in the subject too... I guess maybe it is too late to change that )
--
electronicsguru.ca

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to oceros

said by oceros:

Hm.
Is that forwarding done at the ATA level or right at the VOIP provider network side?

In other words, would the forwarding fail if the internet connection went down at home?

It is done by the provider. You don't even have to own an ATA.
--
electronicsguru.ca

bbiab

said by Teddy Boom:

said by oceros:

Hm.

It is done by the provider. You don't even have to own an ATA.

I'm quite intrigued by the Anveo possibilities. Am I right in thinking $2 per month for incoming plus 40 free minutes outgoing per day on the free plan? Makes 7 cents a day for 40 minutes and I guess they throw in voicemail too.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
I've never noticed the 40minutes.

Voicemail is definitely included though. I found Anveo's website harder to work with than voip.ms..
--
electronicsguru.ca

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 edit
reply to Teddy Boom

said by Teddy Boom:

I think it is $25 everywhere to port the number.

»voip.ms/news.php
Febuary 27, 2013
"$10 per number, effective as of today"

No ATA required.

--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.