uniqs

DrugTito
join:2013-01-17
canada

DrugTito

Rogers to Wind

Hello guys,

Yesterday i bought Nexus 4 for my wife.

Currently, her phone is on Rogers (no contract).

We are thinking about getting $30/mo plan for hew new phone.

How long does usually porting takes? Is Rogers going to give Wind hard time to do this?

Thanks
camelot
join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON

camelot

Porting my wife's number from Fido (Rogers) to Wind took about 2 hours. It's a completely automated system- human hands don't touch the porting.

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito

so, all i have to do is take the new phone to wind?

do i have to call rogers once the number is ported, to cancel?

thanks
camelot
join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON

camelot

NO!!! Do not cancel with Rogers. Wind will do that for you. If you cancel with Rogers first, you will not be able to port your number and the number will be re-pooled.

Simply take the phone to Wind, pick your plan and they'll take care of the rest.

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito

Perfect.

Thank you!
Pesterd
join:2013-01-22

Pesterd

It has only taken me 5 mins top to transfer numbers 2 times. Sometimes, it's done within a minute.

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito

Are you guys happy with Wind?

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga

My wife's phone is with Wind, and we've been very happy with it. The only downside is their coverage. But their roaming rates aren't overly terrible, for voice and text anyway.

By default data is off while roaming. If you are willing to pay the $1/MB, you can ask about how to enable it. I don't believe they use the setting on the phone for that. There's something on their side. The phone you buy from them have this little java app that lets you change the option (if I remember correctly).

My phone is paid for by work, otherwise mine would be with Wind too.

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito

Thank you cybersaga.

»www2.windmobile.ca/en/Pa ··· one.aspx

I can bring my own phone and still get $30/mo (includes everything listed here? : »www.windmobile.ca/en/Pag ··· 65478446 ) dollar plan with Wind, correct? (no activation fee, etc - Does it mean that i don't even have to pay for SIM?)

As for their coverage, as long it works fine in Kitchener\Waterloo - and lets say Toronto, we are good, really

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga

That page doesn't mention anything about paying for the SIM, so I assume not, but don't take my word for it. We bought my wife's phone from them.

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito

np thanks man for helping

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON

nekkidtruth to DrugTito

Premium Member

to DrugTito
SIM cards are $25 and they are not known to waive that. Still, $25 for the freedom of WIND and half the price of regular cell phone service is a small price to pay.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to DrugTito

to DrugTito
Call Rogers and have them put a 30 day port out tag on the line you want to port out and then port out at the end of that 30 day period. Make sure you explicitly state you are porting out so they put the port out tag and not the cancellation tag. If you do not have the port out tag you will be charged another 30 days of service which you cannot use and then you'll have to fight with Rogers and the CCTS to get that money back.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to camelot

Premium Member

to camelot
Yes a couple of hours is all it took for me too.
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to cybersaga

Premium Member

to cybersaga
25 bucks is what i paid for the SIM
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to yyzlhr

Premium Member

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

Call Rogers and have them put a 30 day port out tag on the line you want to port out and then port out at the end of that 30 day period. Make sure you explicitly state you are porting out so they put the port out tag and not the cancellation tag. If you do not have the port out tag you will be charged another 30 days of service which you cannot use and then you'll have to fight with Rogers and the CCTS to get that money back.

I ported out with 15 days left in my contract, I called Rogers after i was ported out and I was NOT charged another 30 days, nor was i charged for leaving my contract early.

The CCTS already ruled that they cannot charge 30 days for nothing.

Seriously do not call Rogers, they'll fuck it up bad on you.

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito

Thanks for info.

No, i don't plan on calling them, as, i will waste at least 2 hours of my time talking to them, and having them "convincing me" to stay with them, etc.

We will see how this turn out.

Once again, thank you all !!

Stewy6
Premium Member
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON

Stewy6

Premium Member

said by DrugTito:

We will see how this turn out.

please let us know how it turns out.

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito

I will, for sure, i am curious as well.

Phone should arrive on Tuesday, so, if it comes before 5 pm, i will go to Wind on Tuesday.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

nekkidtruth to DrugTito

Premium Member

to DrugTito
I recently picked up a Nexus 4 for the other half and bought a WIND SIM card to put in it. I'm in London. This is the second month with the service. No complaints thus far. Personally I find the connection speed to be erratic and slow, but the other half has no complaints. Downloads apps, browses Facebook and the Internet and is fine with the speeds. We didn't port a number at all though.

I'm thinking of possibly jumping ship myself from Rogers.

WiFi
It's In The Air
join:2002-06-06
NiagaraFalls

WiFi to DrugTito

to DrugTito
Check out the promo plan until the end of the month for $33/mo.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Seriously do not call Rogers, they'll fuck it up bad on you.

Exactly. There's a good chance they'll just up and cancel the account and then you'll never be able to port the number out.

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito to WiFi

to WiFi
said by WiFi:

Check out the promo plan until the end of the month for $33/mo.

I believe its if you purchase phone from them, only.
Correct me if i am wrong.
markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf

I think the only thing included in the $33 plan that's not in the $30 plan is global text and reduced international long distance.

If you don't call or text outside of Canada often, the $30 plan is probably a better bet.

I've been with Wind just over a year and very, very satisfied with the service. Data has been fine in my area and so has reception. I have no issues with Wind (although it doesn't work well in my basement, I'm guessing most services have a tough time down there too).

I would highly recommend Wind for people who are predominately in a Wind Zone.
loyd
join:2012-09-24
Toronto, ON

4 edits

loyd to DrugTito

to DrugTito
Actually, if you bring your own phone, they will give you service credit. $200 on $30/m plan

»www.windmobile.ca/en/Pag ··· one.aspx

Bring your own phone and take Wind40 everything unlimited plan and pay only $25/m. Wind has no contract, so after 20 months you can downgrade your plan.

Btw. is basic voicemail included in all Wind plans ? The major turn-off for me is if carrier charges extra for voicemail.
markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf

No voicemail is included.

It's steep at $8/month.

I'm with voip.ms, so I just give places that need to leave me messages my home number and the email with the message comes through on my phone.

I'm sure I can set up some call forwarding scheme to make it all work, but I don't have the motivation.
loyd
join:2012-09-24
Toronto, ON

2 edits

loyd

Never tried, but Fongo or TextMe give free canadian local phone number with voicemail. There is some kind of forwarding, so you could use Fongo number as public number forwarded to your private Wind cell number.

Btw. does voip.ms receive traditional fax ? I currently use RingCentral virtual PBX, receives and sends fax, has softphone, works great and I get 10 extensions too, but little pricey, although for full-blown PBX worth the value.
arahman56
join:2011-08-11
Etobicoke, ON

arahman56 to loyd

to loyd
"The monthly credit is applicable only for monthly add-ons and pay per use charges and is not valid toward your monthly plan fees (that is, the $20/month, $30/month, or $40/month plan fee), the cost of devices, or accessories."

Still, the $10 credit on the $30 plan is enough to get free upgrade to Unlimited US Call/Text.

As for Voicemail: I would suggest FreePhoneLine.ca. I have set calls to forward to that if I'm unavailable, and that works quite well. Just add an email notification for Voicemails, and you are set. For free. Needs a data plan to get the emails, though.
fparker
join:2008-04-28
Scarborough, ON

fparker to DrugTito

to DrugTito
Ported from Mobilicity to Wind yesterday at 5 PM. It is now 24.5 hours later, port has still not been done. As well, SIM card would not connect at all yesterday (Sunday), and decided to start connecting to WIND network at around 10 AM today.

eeeaddict
join:2010-02-14

eeeaddict to DrugTito

to DrugTito
everyone here will disagree but wind has been terrible for me, pings over 500ms in any urban area, cluesless reps and worst of all they've "accidentally" disable my sim card twice when I wanted to make a small plan change.