spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RCon15

@bankofny.com

[iO] Dolby Digital now working along with HDMI

I have my set top connected to my TV via HDMI cable. I also have digital audio out from set top to my receiver. I have this same set-up in two different rooms. One set top is a Sci Atl and the other is the Samsung. I was unable to get Dolby Digital signal on the receivers (both receivers do not have HDMI ports otherwise I would have just used them) Anyway, I searched the web and found out that this was a known issue that started some time ago -- if you were using HDMI , you lost Dolby Digital audio signal. If I switched to component cables, I was able to get DD on my receiver. The other night at around 2 in the morning my cable box received a download. I wondered if the download had addressed the audio signal issue and to my surprise it did. I can now listen to my surround sound in DD. So, if you were one of those folks who switched from HDMI to Component in order to receive Dolby Digital audio, you can now switch back.

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online

CV has delivered a Dolby Digital feed for some time. Problem is that most of the feeds still are 2.1 at best, even though the receiver itself registers the correct codec in the incoming stream as negotiated with your STB.

But less wires in your setup is still a perk nonetheless.

RCon15

@optonline.net

Not sure what you mean by "for some time". Yes, CV has broadcast in DD for a long time- - but at some point , they had changed something and I could no longer receive DD when listening through my receiver (as opposed to my TV's speakers) when the connection from cable box to my TV was via an HDMI cable. Therefore my receiver indicated "Pro Logic" instead of "Dolby Digital" and there definitely was a difference in the sound coming through my surround sound set up. Just the other day, it started picking up the audio signal as Dolby Digital instead of Pro Logic and there definitely is a difference.

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

Yes it stop working after the new guide roll out
Glad to hear it was fixed

RCon15

@optonline.net

Not working with my Sci Atl box for some reason today. Unbelievable. As soon as I unplug the HDMI connection on the box, my receiver picks up DD. Oh well. I guess it is time to trade in for the Samsung box.

Ike2

@optonline.net

Not with the Samsung box, no Dolby.

Ike2

@optonline.net

Correction......I do get Dolby out of the cable box, not out of the TV digital audio out.

kdshapiro

join:2000-03-29
Eatontown, NJ
reply to RCon15

Could you clarify. On HD SA 8300 DVR with an HDMI, no DD from box to receiver. My received used to register DD before the new guide rollout.
--
Ken

flatline_

join:2003-01-18

said by kdshapiro:

Could you clarify. On HD SA 8300 DVR with an HDMI, no DD from box to receiver. My received used to register DD before the new guide rollout.

Same issue here. Used to be able to get DD via coax line from my 8300dvr to my receiver, even though I was using an HDMI connection to my TV. Noticed that this no longer works after the new guide rollout. Ugh !!!

RCon155

@myvzw.com

Yes, we all lost Dolby Digital after the new guide came out if our AV connections were the same as described above. But it is back--at least when using my Samsung boxes. With my Sci Atl box, it is still Pro Logic.

UofMiamiGrad
Premium
join:2001-02-03
Great Neck, NY

said by Anon80:

Yes, we all lost Dolby Digital after the new guide came out if our AV connections were the same as described above. But it is back--at least when using my Samsung boxes. With my Sci Atl box, it is still Pro Logic.

Per Wilt in Yahoo Groups code push for SA boxes should be pushed out in October to fix issue.

flatline_

join:2003-01-18
reply to RCon15

So I bit the bullet and replaced my aging receiver with one that has HDMI passthrough. No issues, DD working as it should. I'm Actually very satisfied with the upgrade. I guess things happen for a reason

LaptopVaio

@optonline.net
reply to RCon15

What channels are in DD and how would I know if its DD please?

Thanks,

kdshapiro

join:2000-03-29
Eatontown, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Most of the channels are in DD; movie channels, broadcast networks, food network, etc. Your AV receiver should have a light or display indicating it is receiving the broadcast in DD, provided you have the proper hookup in your home theater system.
--
Ken