Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to Steveo

Re: [rCable] Waiting on Provisioning

said by Anon80:

I just hope it won't take a week or two to resolve

No, generally 10.x issues are pretty quick - just taking an extra day or two currently.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to rocca
We've also now added a warning on the signup page that will require an acknowledgement of outage for customers that are using an active modem from another provider.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

edit: FYI, I've updated our transfer FAQ with a grid. »FAQ: Cable transfers

Haha, love the grid
--
electronicsguru.ca

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to Rykan11
I have to say, I'm having trouble finding a solution that makes sense.. I've always known modems needed to 'rest' between accounts, to let Rogers system get updated and avoid rejected orders. For my customers, that was easy.. Just put the modem at the bottom of the pile

Alternative 1:
I'm semi-serious about a modem exchange service.

Like, you are switching ISPs, so you contact me with your modem make/model. I send you a new MAC/Serial for a different physical modem.

When your activation date comes along (or better the day after) you contact me to check if the replacement modem is active. If active, you come and swap old for new and all is done. If not active... it could be messy.

I'd charge $10, just like the firmware flashing. You'd have a physically different modem, but I would not be able to provide any warranty because it is coming from some other customer--eventually somebody will be upset by that. I'll need to get a couple more DCM475/76 modems to get things rolling.

And the thing about all this is, it is still a huge hassle for everybody, and it ends up costing too much..

Alternative 2:
Maybe Vmedia has the right answer on this one, but the real cost is pretty high..
$5 modem swap fee
$15-20 shipping (two directions)
A lot of time and hassle for customer and company alike

So, ya...
--
electronicsguru.ca

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
A lot of problems there teddy boom ...

THe majority of modem "swaps" are modem "upgrades" e.g. from D2 to D3 ... so you end up with a heap of D2 modems! :-(

Second is Rogers do from time to time seem to provision modems (particularly for TPIAs) on a regional, head-end, CMTS and even node basis. For TPIAs that's so they can route properly.

So they may provision the modem for your client's CMTS, but it doesn't work at your location. Rogers checks it out and finds it's not there, or worse scans the network for the MAC/CSN and finds it at your place and terminates that modem as unusable on Rogers.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
Of course it would only be a like for like exchange. No model flexibility at all. I'd just have a buffer of 4-6 modems of any given type so that people could always be changing MAC and Serial when they change ISP.

Not that I think it would work..
--
electronicsguru.ca

barrist

join:2010-05-28
Ottawa, ON
reply to Rykan11
Looks like im about to enter the same boat. Just got disconnected today (former 3web user) , have 10.x IP , so I guess we'll see how long the downtime is!

Start service has been very good through all this.

Frank White

join:2011-10-01
reply to Rykan11
just an update ......still down

was cut off sept 5th

ill post when it comes back

nbinont

join:2011-03-13
kudos:2
reply to Rykan11
The real question is: when did Rykan11 get back online. It looks like he's had at least a 4 day interruption.

Rykan11

@184.151.61.x
Still down.

Steveo

@rogers.com
Is there any way this could be escalated???

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
We are going through the escalations process on anything delayed. Tickets have been grossly delayed this weekend and I have engaged our account manager to find out why we've had almost no updates since Friday night.

Much is happening in the background that I can't discuss at this point to address these recent shenanigans.
Expand your moderator at work

Rykan11

@bell.ca
reply to rocca

Re: [rCable] Waiting on Provisioning

I got a phone call and email letting me know that I'd be good to go tomorrow.

All things said, I'm pretty impressed with the amount of communication and responsiveness from rocca and the crew.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow morning.

nbinont

Good to hear. Looks like the down time for a transfer these days is about a week! I certainly would have thought twice about switching the way I did if I knew it would take so long.

barrist

join:2010-05-28
Ottawa, ON
Actually I must be pretty lucky as I got the email and call as well that my service should be up tomorrow, so I will only have one full day of downtime if all goes well! Probably just got lucky with the timing of my service disconnect.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
said by barrist:

Actually I must be pretty lucky as I got the email and call as well that my service should be up tomorrow, so I will only have one full day of downtime if all goes well! Probably just got lucky with the timing of my service disconnect.

Just took a quick look and yes, all looks good for tomorrow.

nbinont

Just wondering...at what point in the process should we expect to get e-mails/calls/etc? The only thing I've ever received is a bill. no confirmation e-mails or anything like that.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
The confirmation email is sent as soon as we get the confirmation from Rogers, which won't happen until the transfer is completed if transferring an active modem. We advised them on the 6th at 1:22pm that your modem was released, and I just sent them an escalation on it.

nbinont

Great, thanks. I really appreciate the dedication to pushing these things through, especially when they get challenging .

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Always happy to help and appreciate your patience as things haven't gone as smoothly as normal.

Steveo

@rogers.com
I've heard nothing .. Down since sept 5

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
said by Anon80:

I've heard nothing .. Down since sept 5

If you PM me your account # I'd be happy to take a look.

Frank White

reply to Rykan11
Still down
no email

Frank White

up now

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Excellent, welcome aboard and thanks for your patience.

steveo

join:2013-09-08
I'm hoping I'm next

Rykan11

@start.ca
reply to Rykan11
Up now and speeds are good!

Thanks a bunch!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium