You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA

bobrk to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff

Re: iPhone going to sleep on longer phone calls

Doesn't Waze, as a nav app, get a dispensation to stay running in the background?

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

said by bobrk:

Doesn't Waze, as a nav app, get a dispensation to stay runni

That's the point of my question. I set it up to ignore autolock, but I guess, that feature only works if it is the front (for want of a better term) app. If it's burried (beneath a phone call), all bets are off

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA

bobrk

Premium Member

Is your Waze just displaying a map or is it actively giving you directions to someplace. If the latter, it should keep running in the background. Otherwise it would not be very useful for navigation.

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

It was navigating.
Got a call.
Yakked for 10 minutes
Call ended
iPhone was sleeping (but unlike Luca Brazi...not with the fishes, however)

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to bobrk

MVM,

to bobrk
said by bobrk:

Doesn't Waze, as a nav app, get a dispensation to stay running in the background?

I don't think that's the issue here, but maybe I misunderstood. Waze will run in the background, generating notifications and/or voice prompts as necessary after the phone goes to sleep.

It was my understanding the OP wanted the phone to switch back to Waze automatically at the end (or beginning) of the phone call and keep it in the foreground instead of going to sleep.

When the app is in the background, it cannot override the activity timer, but it can still use the GPS and speakers/notifications to generate prompts.