spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CornCobb

join:2013-09-06

Help explain how fiber pricing/infrastructure works?

I live out in corn country Ohio. Internet options around here are WiFi and Cable/DSL, if you're lucky. None of the options are that great, good enough for basic Internet but nothing to try and run a home-office from.

I recently received a quote for a 10 Meg fiber line with a monthly cost around $800 with a 3 year contract, no setup. This would be a business line type of deal, and the install location is approx. 3/4m to the road where their fiber line runs, who knows how far to the nearest connection point.

Is this a decent deal? It seems like it when I've read that the install costs can range well into the tens of thousands of dollars with case studies like this (»bbpmag.com/2011mags/marchapril11···iber.pdf). But other than the great help I've received so far from the fiber guys, I really have no way to compare. Honestly, I can get get more information on how to build a F-16 from ebay parts than information on Fiber to the [whatever] works using my Google-Fu.

We're probably gonna pull the trigger on this, but some 3rd party perspective would be nice.

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
kudos:2
said by CornCobb:

I live out in corn country Ohio. Internet options around here are WiFi and Cable/DSL, if you're lucky. None of the options are that great, good enough for basic Internet but nothing to try and run a home-office from.

I recently received a quote for a 10 Meg fiber line with a monthly cost around $800 with a 3 year contract, no setup. This would be a business line type of deal, and the install location is approx. 3/4m to the road where their fiber line runs, who knows how far to the nearest connection point.

Is this a decent deal? It seems like it when I've read that the install costs can range well into the tens of thousands of dollars with case studies like this (»bbpmag.com/2011mags/marchapril11···iber.pdf). But other than the great help I've received so far from the fiber guys, I really have no way to compare. Honestly, I can get get more information on how to build a F-16 from ebay parts than information on Fiber to the [whatever] works using my Google-Fu.

We're probably gonna pull the trigger on this, but some 3rd party perspective would be nice.

That is a pretty good deal, considering that most companies would either want a high initial cost(12k+) or would want a lot of people to sign up. I personally would try to see if you can get a little bit more than 10meg for 800. Tell them you want 12meg for $800
--
No Victim=No Crime

CornCobb

join:2013-09-06
reply to CornCobb
Just an update. We're going with the 10mbps line, $700/month and we can upgrade to 100mbs for around $1k/month or any other rate easily. I got some quotes from other outfits and the install was, as you predicted, ~$15k with per month pricing about the same. I'll follow up with how it all turns out. These guys are supposedly a non-for-profit business and I guess that makes sense