spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MC

join:2013-09-06

New customer

Had WOW about 5 years ago, then switched to uverse and now coming back to WOW. I signed up for the ultra basic and have 2 HD tv, just wondering what kind of equipment WOW uses and do they still us coaxial cable to run to each box. I'm getting the Ultra basic with 15meg internet and advance phone. I have cat5e through out the house and was wondering if they could use that instead of coaxial cable to the boxes.

boopin

join:2011-08-25
Coax to each box.

And enjoy the switch. I went from a bad local cable company (now bought out by TW) to U-Verse and couldn't switch fast enough once WOW became available.

ClockerXP

join:2001-05-24
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:1
reply to MC
...and if you have a DLNA media server in your house, enjoy that all of your TVs which have an Ultra TV Media Player will now also have DLNA streaming capability.

Body Count

join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
reply to MC
ultratv needs 1 ghz rated coax.

cat5e is rated at 350 mhz.

the bandwidth just isn't there.

cat6 can't even do it at 400 mhz

You need coax cable. Just remove a cat5e jack.. tape on some bulk coax .. and use the cat5e as a pull string to run it back wherever it's going.

You could try one of these:

»www.ramelectronics.net/500302-2PK.aspx

but if you have any problems and call out a tech, they will rip that sh*t out and tell you that you need to pay them to run a coax cable.

MC

reply to MC
Oh, ok I do have coax cable through out the house too that was installed back in 1990, that should work I hope.

Body Count

Columbus, OH
rg59 coax will work but you might have issues. you want rg6. doesn't need to be quad shielded.. but the extra thickness of the wire helps a lot.

MC

reply to MC
I just looked at the type of coax I have and its RG6/U. So I'm good?

Body Count

Columbus, OH
yep it't good to go as long as there are no breaks in the cable. the tech coming out will crimp new ends on it if the ends are bad but that should be free.