Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to kevinds

Re: [Home Phone] Sorry To Get On The Slam TS Bandwagon, But . .

said by kevinds:

They charge a fee for touch-tone access?

Does pulse dialing still work? Can it be opted-out of? Just curious

Thats the hilarious part... touch tone cannot be opted out of... i'd be willing to bet my left nut that there's not one analog switch left in Bell's major markets.

Funny thing is, they have to install a pulse dialing module or something for old ladies who have grandfathered plans that dont have the touch tone fee, with old rotary phones.
--

heavenlyevil

join:2013-09-06
Actually my in-laws are still on pulse dialling. They never agreed to opt-in when Bell first starting porting everyone, and refuse to add tone dialling every time they are asked. Since they've never cancelled and made a new account I imagine they'll be on pulse dialling forever unless Bell pulls something sneaky on them.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Funny thing is, they have to install a pulse dialing module or something for old ladies who have grandfathered plans that dont have the touch tone fee, with old rotary phones.

Bell's digital switches support rotary dialing without adding additional equipment. At one time, Bell's old mechanical switches didn't support touch tone, so they used converters.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

Cubytus

join:2007-08-24
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Vonage
said by HiVolt:

Actually I am still in my twenties and I remember, as a child, that Granny used a rotary phone... How many youngs do actually know how to dial with a rotary?

My parents had the most recent phone tech when they bought a wireless phone at the end of the 80's that worked on 49MHz with an extensible antenna.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to HeadSpinning
said by HeadSpinning:

said by HiVolt:

Bell's digital switches support rotary dialing without adding additional equipment. At one time, Bell's old mechanical switches didn't support touch tone, so they used converters.

Oh.. I remember someone posted info here that said that Bell had to install some sort of pulse dialing converter on the new digital switches, for the old grandfathered accounts. Perhaps he was incorrect.

So if you're right, I can just switch my phone to pulse dial and it will work? or is it disabled by default for everyone but those people that are on pulse only?
--