how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jaberi

join:2010-08-13

An all out brawl

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/s ··· awl.html

does clapping constitute a violation in which someone has to be choked out, taken down and thrown out of council chambers?
sad day if citizens who attend council meetings are treated like this.

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON
He called in to Newstalk 1010 while I had it on and the guy is nuts. I've no idea if he deserved the treatment he received in Oshawa, but he's a piece of work for sure.

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
kudos:7
reply to jaberi
The bigger issue is, the auditor said the city council may be corrupt, so their response was to fire the auditor....

Sheesh.

joeblow3

join:2000-12-27
London, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Styvas
Ya I listened to that interview on 1010. The guys is an absolute activists. He goes to many city council meetings around Ontario. Me must expect to get thrown out. He was complaining because they wouldn't wait until he picked up his electronics he carries with him, cameras, GPS. Asked why he would carry a GPS: he said so he could prove his whereabouts when needed....ya sound like he deserve to be thrown out. Even before he gets there he is expecting trouble.

hmm

@videotron.ca
reply to PX Eliezer
said by PX Eliezer:

The bigger issue is, the auditor said the city council may be corrupt, so their response was to fire the auditor....

Sheesh.

Seems to me, from what I understood, they eliminated the position all together.

1. They fired the guy for doing his job.

2. They eliminate the position so that another person can't discover anything, or even follow up on the previous auditors work.

And this got approved.

People in this place should be very concerned and fighting back.

PX Eliezer
Premium
Graustark
In places like Chicago they do their corruption with a little more class and subtlety.

PX Eliezer
Premium
Graustark
Reviews:
·localphone.com
·Callcentric
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
reply to joeblow3
said by joeblow3:

Even before he gets there he is expecting trouble.

He may be eccentric or even a little crazy, but that does not mean that he is wrong on the issues....

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to jaberi
Cameras, outside of authorized media, and recording devices are not normally permitted in Council champers, are they? I know people have been thrown out up here for recording council meetings without authorization and the police have been called after the person refused to leave or stop recording. Certainly there are rules around public conduct. These are for Toronto.

Public attendance and conduct.
A. The only people allowed in the members' seating area during a meeting are the
members, the Clerk, Mayor's office staff, the Sergeant at arms, and anyone the
Clerk, the Chair, Council, or committee authorizes to be in the member's seating
area.
B. No one may display signs or placards, applaud debating participants, or engage
in conversation or other behaviour that may disrupt a meeting.
C. No person, other than a member, may speak to a committee, except by
invitation of the Chair.
D. Unless authorized by the Clerk, the Chair, Council, or committee:
(1) No one except a member may place any material on members' desks; and
(2) No one may distribute any material to members during a meeting.
E. No one may use a cellular telephone during a meeting, and anyone who brings
one to a meeting must turn off the ringer.

»www.toronto.ca/legdocs/municode/ ··· _027.pdf
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to joeblow3
said by joeblow3:

Ya I listened to that interview on 1010. The guys is an absolute activists. He goes to many city council meetings around Ontario. Me must expect to get thrown out. He was complaining because they wouldn't wait until he picked up his electronics he carries with him, cameras, GPS. Asked why he would carry a GPS: he said so he could prove his whereabouts when needed....ya sound like he deserve to be thrown out. Even before he gets there he is expecting trouble.

I don't quite understand your response to his carrying a GPS. Can you elaborate?
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
It's his response to being asked why he has a GPS that's highly unusual. Most people already have a GPS on their phone, but they normally use that so they can simply find themselves on the map app. They don't use it to, say, establish an alibi.

joeblow3

join:2000-12-27
London, ON
reply to Anav
He said exactly that...so he can prove where he was and any one time. I assume it wasn't a car GPS but a hiking GPS of some sort keeping track of where he was.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Styvas
One-sided coverage that leaves out some important details...

All the news coverage' recordings seem to leave out the precursing behaviours of these people causing trouble and asked to leave, with the people insisting they're not leaving.

said by Styvas:

He called in to Newstalk 1010 while I had it on and the guy is nuts. I've no idea if he deserved the treatment he received in Oshawa, but he's a piece of work for sure.

I would have liked to have seen the camera man thrown out as well, screaming his head off like an assaulted woman... and also lying, claiming the guy said he 'offered to get up' which was bullshit, the guy could be heard saying "I'll get up when I'm ready to get up" when he was asked to leave by the older gentleman.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to PX Eliezer
said by PX Eliezer:

Finally, a city just as corrupt as Fort Erie!

(in Fort Erie, our town solicitor told four councilors that they couldn't legally do something, then they harassed her, she filed a complaint, they fired her in response, she filed for wrongful dismissal and then they used town funds to pay her settlement. The Conflict of Interest charges against the four will be heard in court this month...)

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

Cameras, outside of authorized media, and recording devices are not normally permitted in Council champers, are they?

Depends on the individual council. In Fort Erie they are commonly recorded by the public. One of the councilors (involved in the conflict of interest suit) tried to have them banned when he was caught on camera threatening to punch the mayor, but nothing came of it.

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
Back when I lived in Windsor, the city council meetings were televised on the local community cable channel. Not sure if they still are (been gone since 2000).
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by PX Eliezer:

Finally, a city just as corrupt as Fort Erie!

(in Fort Erie, our town solicitor told four councilors that they couldn't legally do something, then they harassed her, she filed a complaint, they fired her in response, she filed for wrongful dismissal and then they used town funds to pay her settlement. The Conflict of Interest charges against the four will be heard in court this month...)

LOL what? You guys have some nice stories there.
I think out Bar is set by Quebec or Montreal. Till all Canadian reach that level we can continue to say we are not corrupt country.
Should I repeat the myth again.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to mr weather
said by mr weather:

Back when I lived in Windsor, the city council meetings were televised on the local community cable channel. Not sure if they still are (been gone since 2000).

Ours all are too. Regional council and the meetings of the larger municipalities (namely St. Cats, NF and Welland) are shown on Cogeco live. Fort Erie's is tape delayed until later in the week. People record parts of the meetings and put them up on Youtube the same night instead.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
said by Gone:

said by mr weather:

Ours all are too. Regional council and the meetings of the larger municipalities (namely St. Cats, NF and Welland) are shown on Cogeco live. Fort Erie's is tape delayed until later in the week. People record parts of the meetings and put them up on Youtube the same night instead.

Rogers shows Owen Sound and Meaford Councils live. The fun one up here is South bruce Peninsula. Unfortunately, no one has the facilities to cover it in Wiarton. Their fights are legendary.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by DKS:

The fun one up here is South bruce Peninsula. Unfortunately, no one has the facilities to cover it in Wiarton. Their fights are legendary.

Haha, yup! I could totally see that happening up that way.

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to jaberi
Oshawa's been having some interesting times lately. Ever since the old mayor lost the last major election.

there has been a lot of statements of corruption and special treatment going around. a large one is the fact that the city has put up "No Parking" signs in front of one of the local major clinics allegitly just after the clinic went pay-by-hour instead of pay-by-stay. The complaint is the Mobility Parking is in the pay-by-hour parking and this is unfair... so it's a bit of smoke and mirrors.

However allegedly The person who owns the building also built the new Oshawa Council Chambers after the same company raised concerns the old chambers were unsafe (They were 1960's awful!)

some local businesses are complaining that UOIT and Durham College are getting fast Tracted and special treatment for building allegedly... and that certain members of the council have undeclared conflicts of interest.

Makes City of Toronto look like it's a well oiled machine.
--
»www.codecipher.com - Marking the way to tomorrow's solutions -- Did you know that Perl is not Dead? »perlisalive.org/