share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

A suggestion to bring new life to forum

I thought, what if we added internet radio to this forum, heck, what if we added all forms of radio to this forum.

I've signed up for the 30 day trial because Art Bell is coming back, my satellite radio is broken (don't know if it's the wall wart or the radio itself) so I signed up for the internet radio of Sirius/XM. I can listen on computers, tablets (don't yet have one), and smartphone.

I think, if Sirius/XM is smart, they will give ALL the same content to the internet stream, since that is where their customers are going anyways.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI
except that darn are you still listening time out sucks. my xm has been dormant for a while as i went to other streaming options like slacker. SQ off the XM birds leaves a lot to be desired.

Cthen
Premium
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
Sound quality has gone to shit on Sirius as well. I would complain more if I was paying for it.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
join:2007-09-18
Gilroy, CA
kudos:1
Just reduced my subscription to mostly music. Since my wife does not want me to get rid of it.
--
"We are the only intelligent people in the universe." Arrogance 3:10

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI
reply to Cthen
said by Cthen:

Sound quality has gone to shit on Sirius as well. I would complain more if I was paying for it.

must be one of the old sirius radios that won't shut off .

Cthen
Premium
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..

2 edits
said by norbert26:

said by Cthen:

must be one of the old sirius radios that won't shut off .

More recent unit that missed it's deactivation when I cut off service. It's one of four that are working this way.

Even for free, I don't listen to them all that much anymore since the change to crappier sound quality.

RockXradio.com FTW!
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to signmeuptoo
I abandon SiriusXM quite some time ago. I don't know how anyone can stand to listen to audio quality that bad at that price, even if you play the cancellation game. I don't actually pay for any services at the moment, but I will probably go back to Rhapsody in the near future.

I am all for adding internet radio and the on-demand services to this forum. There is currently no good place to discuss them here.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to signmeuptoo
I suspect the problem is with the actual radios, rather than the transmitted codec used. I don't ever recall poor quality sound, and with the XM online the sound is pretty good, Art Bell even negotiated with them to have his show sound better, and it sounds way better than CoastToCoastAM online.

I believe it's a myth that the sound quality is bad, but that's just me.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

3 edits
reply to signmeuptoo
The online version sounds okay, but the satellite version uses increasingly low bitrate codecs. There are a number of music stations on the XM side that do not even broadcast in stereo anymore.

I don't remember what bitrates they are using anymore, but 32kbps aac+ used by AccuRadio sounds quite a bit better in my opinion than the stations I listened to on SXM. So I would say SiriusXM uses lower than that for most of their satellite music channels. That or they just have poorly encoded source files and are re-encoding them. A common practice for many AM/FM radio stations using HD and web streams. There is only so much audio enhancement technologies like BBE MP can do once you get bitrates at 32kbps and below.