Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

Roland Emmerich plans to reboot 'Stargate' as a film trilogy

»www.theverge.com/2013/9/6/470141···-trilogy

Toss another movie on the reboot pile. But maybe a reboot would be good for it.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
White House Down flopped so his immediate hunch is to return to an old hit.

NO THANKS.

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
join:2002-07-30
Denver, CO
reply to Snakeoil
The TV series was excellent and he won't follow that cannon. It won't feel like the same show to me.

I am against this.
--
What smells like blue?

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Snakeoil
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
reply to Omega
So, that means O'Neil (with one 'L' ...and no sense of humor at all).

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
He did have a sense of humor, it was just a dry sarcasm though.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to TigerLord
White House Down was a blatant rip-off of another movie that came out earlier this year. I skipped both, but detest how different studios blatantly rip off from each other to try and cash in on a certain storyline.

»www.11points.com/Movies/11_Damn_···ame_Time
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Snakeoil
Good God no. Leave it alone. This has always been one of my favorite movies and I don't want to see it messed up. The television series alone was terrible. Jaye Davidson had Ra The Sun God nailed down in the motion picture.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8mK5q5L38A

GlennAllen
Premium
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Krisnatharok
More like a blatant coincidence. Both scripts were purchased in the same month, and the filming for each began in the same month. Of course, each is also much like previous movies except for a different setting (the White House), so the major theme of most Hollywood movies still is and will always be "rip-off"... or should we just say "homage".

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to Snakeoil
Not really interested in a reboot of Stargate. I would however like to see a new TV show.
--
Add a signature here

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

1 edit
reply to Snakeoil
I'm not anti-reboot. Some reboots ended up being quite nice and some movies could really use a reboot... but I just recently rewatched Stargate and it is not one of them. It's still holding up quite nicely and nothing in it needs any rebooting. If he wants to continue to tell the tale, or base it on another SG team or something, that's fine... but this is just a lame and easy way out when you can no longer come up with anything original.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to Snakeoil
I'm interested,...

I guess I am for it because it shows renewed interest in the franchise which could in turn spark more series productions,..plus the trilogy could actually be good. The only time we as scifi fans definitely lose out (being deprived of / cease to retain) is when nothing new is made and the industry no longer caters to our interests.

If a reboot is the rehash that starts something new, then so be it,.....I'm there.

I'm also somewhat interested in the sequels to Independence Day (ID Forever Part I and Part II).

Bring it!

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to PhoenixDown
I would like to see a 2 to 4 hour TV movie that ties up Stargate Universe.

Not sure if I'm that "vested" in a reboot of the movie or not.
I thought they did ok with the original TV series, but were reaching with Atlantis and Universe.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to ekster
said by ekster:

but this is just a lame and easy way out when you can no longer come up with anything original.

This!!!

Add to that, this movie is just going to be all action and very little plot. If you look at many of Emmerich's movies, there about special effects and action (remember 2012 with John Cusack?).
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

SRFireside

join:2001-01-19
Houston, TX

2 recommendations

To be fair Stargate was his idea to begin with. He made the first movie, and it was a pretty good movie if you ask me. For all of you Stargate TV series fans out there keep in mind the show was an adaptation of the movie. So now he wants to reboot (likely his movie). I see nothing wrong with this because the concept was neat to begin with. Plus the movie was released almost 20 years ago so I can see how this can even be a sort of homage to Emmerich's last decent film before he went all "hey lets destroy cities and landmarks" disaster filmy.

GlennAllen
Premium
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
said by SRFireside:

last decent film before he went all "hey lets destroy cities and landmarks" disaster filmy.

Does that bode well or ill for his "reboot"?

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to SRFireside
said by SRFireside:

To be fair Stargate was his idea to begin with. He made the first movie, and it was a pretty good movie if you ask me. For all of you Stargate TV series fans out there keep in mind the show was an adaptation of the movie. So now he wants to reboot (likely his movie). I see nothing wrong with this because the concept was neat to begin with. Plus the movie was released almost 20 years ago so I can see how this can even be a sort of homage to Emmerich's last decent film before he went all "hey lets destroy cities and landmarks" disaster filmy.

Hmmmm... I did not realize this. YOu make and excellent point, and a compelling arguement my friend.

Though I would really prefer to see a resolution to SG-1 and Atlantis more than anything. Could do without a new film. in SG-1 you just can't replace RDA as Col. Jack O'Neill, Amanda Tapping as Dr. Samantha Carter, Michael Shanks as Dr. Daniel Jackson, and Christopher Judge as Teal'c.
And in SGA, you just can't replace Joe Flanigan as Lt. Col. John Sheppard, Rachel Luttrell as Teyla, David Hewlett as Dr. Rodney McKay, and Jason Momoa as Ronon.

Uh-uh. Ain't gonna happen. Those guys made those roles their own, and absolutely owned them. Seeing anyone else in those roles would be like seeing someone other than RDJ playing Tony Stark/Iron Man.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to GlennAllen
said by GlennAllen:

said by SRFireside:

last decent film before he went all "hey lets destroy cities and landmarks" disaster filmy.

You know, I honestly don't know.

At the very least, it'll be visually entertaining.
--
Oh, Opera, what have you done?

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

said by SRFireside:

Hmmmm... I did not realize this. YOu make and excellent point, and a compelling arguement my friend.

Though I would really prefer to see a resolution to SG-1 and Atlantis more than anything. Could do without a new film. in SG-1 you just can't replace RDA as Col. Jack O'Neill, Amanda Tapping as Dr. Samantha Carter, Michael Shanks as Dr. Daniel Jackson, and Christopher Judge as Teal'c.
And in SGA, you just can't replace Joe Flanigan as Lt. Col. John Sheppard, Rachel Luttrell as Teyla, David Hewlett as Dr. Rodney McKay, and Jason Momoa as Ronon.

Uh-uh. Ain't gonna happen. Those guys made those roles their own, and absolutely owned them. Seeing anyone else in those roles would be like seeing someone other than RDJ playing Tony Stark/Iron Man.

perhaps but they did replace Torri Higginson as Dr. Elizabeth Weir and she was an original cast member. Rainbow Francks as Lt. Ford was dropped. The addition of Jewel Staite as Dr. Jennifer Keller was welcome IMO as well as Robert Picardo.

Also for some reason I seem to recall that Jason Momoa wasn't even in the early episodes. I could be remembering incorrectly but I don't think Momoa even showed up until season 2.

And for what its worth RDA as Jack O'neill didn't drop a bunch of one liners in the earlier incarnations. The more serious version of O'neill in the series was more believable IMO.

Anyway, as I said I welcome the the Trilogy. I'm just glad that they are doing something with the franchise rather then just let it rot.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Dropping Torri Higginson was a big mistake as far as I'm concerned. And Momoa didn't show up until episode 2 or 3 of season 2.

I'm actually going through the entire series right now, just finished season 2, it's such a great show.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

SRFireside

join:2001-01-19
Houston, TX
reply to GlennAllen
said by GlennAllen:

To be honest it depends on if Emmerich is over his disaster movie phase or not. Before Independence Day he not only directed Stargate, but also Moon 44 and Universal Soldier. Moon 44 had a pedestrian plot, but a really engaging level of character development. Universal Soldier was a pretty well balanced flick as well. I never saw, but he also produced The High Crusade which is a comedy about a bunch of Crusaders stuck in an alien world.

It would be nice to see Roland go back to his roots. It sounds to me if really is intent on revisiting Stargate this very well may be happening.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Snakeoil
I would rather see Atlantis get its loose ends tied up but sadly the SG TV 'verse is DOA since MGM had all its money issues everything is perma-shelved. SGU made me sad to see it go because it started out kinda corny and emo drama sappy crap, But in the second season it started to really mature and I think once they had control of destiny they really could have had something.

SG-1 is imo one of the best scifi shows on TV.

Stargate is also very unique in that its faction neutral in the world of scifi. Nobody hates it just because its Stargate. It does not matter if someone is a Trek, Wars or B5 fan they rarely have negative views of the SG 'Verse.

I am wondering if he will be able to procure the Stargate itself or if it got scrapped, I am guessing not much of the SG sets remains. And I know the SGC gate was a pretty sweet piece of set/prop hardware, AS the only thing it did not do was open actual wormholes. Otherwise it did spin and light up.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to SRFireside
said by SRFireside:

To be honest it depends on if Emmerich is over his disaster movie phase or not.

I kinda doubt it. It seems there is a preference for people to see disaster movies and little plot involved. As an example, Godzilla with Matthew Broderick.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
Disaster movies have always been hits, And have been around almost as long as Hollywood itself.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

join:2013-07-08
MA
reply to Snakeoil
Skip new movies give us a GOOD new Stargate series for TV.