All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
DjEclipse
join:2007-11-20
Niagara Falls, ON

DjEclipse to cvc44

to cvc44

Re: Why is automatic withdrawl mandatory?

said by Anon80:

So what I gather from this thread, is that you don't trust Start with your banking/cc info. OK, no problem, I get that. What I don't understand, is, why do you think Start should trust you?

That is a redundant question. I know myself, I know my credit score I know my payment history. I work my ass off for my money and the only one that should have authorization to take it is the one that worked so hard for it.. me

Start doesn't know me from a hole in the wall, but that is the way business is done. You don't go into a garage give them pre authorized credit card access before they do the work. They provide a service, you pay for said service after it is complete. That is how business is done.

Its not that I don't trust start. I trust them with my credit card information. I trust them as far as me giving them authorization to put a charge on it for say purchasing the new modem, a one time charge. I do not trust them with indefinite ability to take money out at their will (that is what you are agreeing to with pre authorized payments), there is a big difference.

cvc44
@hostnoc.net

cvc44

Anon

I'm just saying, that you are asking Start to do something that you are not willing to do: extend a certain level of trust.

I completely understand and agree with not permitting anyone access to a bank account, I don't ever do that myself, primarily because of what someone said up thread - mistakes happen, and the impact can be worse on a bank account vs a credit card.

I do permit certain companies to do auto-payment on credit card. We have tools at our disposal (this site, for example), to do some homework, check out a company's reputation, a "credit check" if you will, considering factors such as professional and customer reviews, message board posts, length of time in business, and so on, to satisfy oneself that they can enjoy a certain level of trust when it comes to the payment arrangements.

No reputable company is going to refuse to fix genuine errors if they happen, and a credit card gives leeway, in terms of time, to address errors, if any. If any ISP represented on this site routinely tried to steal, or refused to fix an error, I have no doubt they would be called out pretty darn quickly (for example, Canadian Broadband's Westlink thread).

I realize I'm not likely to convince ya, but the great thing is at least there is choice - the terms offered by Start don't meet your needs, but I think there are a few other ISPs out there that have terms that would. It means you may have to compromise, a trade-off, but it all comes down to which aspect of the service offering is most important to you.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to DjEclipse

to DjEclipse
said by DjEclipse:

said by Anon80:

So what I gather from this thread, is that you don't trust Start with your banking/cc info. OK, no problem, I get that. What I don't understand, is, why do you think Start should trust you?

That is a redundant question. I know myself, I know my credit score I know my payment history. I work my ass off for my money and the only one that should have authorization to take it is the one that worked so hard for it.. me

Start doesn't know me from a hole in the wall, but that is the way business is done. You don't go into a garage give them pre authorized credit card access before they do the work. They provide a service, you pay for said service after it is complete. That is how business is done.

Your analogy here doesn't work. You're making the assumption that Start is operating under normal market conditions, in full control of costs. There are very few markets in NA where the government sets the price for the product (dairy milk would be one instance). Applying the same principals to virtual market just doesn't work. IISPs operate on paper thin profits for residential services. It's smart management to sure risks for loss are minimized as much as reasonable.

Also, going to a garage is on demand service, internet service is a continual service. Pre-authorized payment is simpler and less resource intensive. You may think this doesn't concern you but it allows Start to have the economic value their prices have and their staff dedicated to answering the phones for support and sales inquiries rather than chasing people for payments every month.

Dj Eclipse
@24.204.162.x

Dj Eclipse

Anon

said by TypeS:

said by DjEclipse:

said by Anon80:

Your analogy here doesn't work. You're making the assumption that Start is operating under normal market conditions, in full control of costs. There are very few markets in NA where the government sets the price for the product (dairy milk would be one instance). Applying the same principals to virtual market just doesn't work. IISPs operate on paper thin profits for residential services. It's smart management to sure risks for loss are minimized as much as reasonable.

Also, going to a garage is on demand service, internet service is a continual service. Pre-authorized payment is simpler and less resource intensive. You may think this doesn't concern you but it allows Start to have the economic value their prices have and their staff dedicated to answering the phones for support and sales inquiries rather than chasing people for payments every month.

Fine, use, Gas company, use, electric company, use Water company, all the same thing. You don't give them access to the money before they give the service. Things don't work that way and shouldn't. It's too much power to give to anyone in an industry such as this.