trparky
Android... get back here
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:4
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

[Rant] Microsoft Office 2013... WTF Microsoft!

So here I am setting up a computer for a member of the family because they pretty much look to me for any and all computer issues, computer advice, and anything computer related.

So they asked me to set up their computer. One of the pieces of software that they want me to install is Microsoft Office 2013 Home and Student. All they got at the store was this little envelope with a card that looks like a credit card with a scratch off area. So I scratched it off and that revealed an install code. Cool.

Then the instructions say to go to »www.office.com/setup. OK. I go there, input the installation key like they say to do on the web site. I click the "Get Started" button and then they send me to a Microsoft Live account login page.

WHAT?!? I need a Microsoft Live account just to install Microsoft Office? I'm not installing Microsoft Office 260 that absolutely needs Microsoft Live here!

OK, so I search for something resembling a stand-alone installer. Can't find one. So I look for a trial that I can ultimately install and convert to a paid install. Nope, can't find that either.

WTF Microsoft! How the hell do you not provide a stand-alone installer for people like me who are in many families are the go-to guy for anything tech related?
--
Tom
Tom's Tech Blog

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
yeah it sucks many companies are pulling this BS now. they seem to think once you register and they have your info you'll just not be able to help using all their cool ass services.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
reply to trparky
This is how it is going industry-wide. Apple, Google, MS all want you locked in to their ecosystems. If they don't already have a Hotmail addy kicking around, just create one and move along. Ditto for Android. Ditto for Apple. In a few more years, local installers will have gone the route of the 5.25" floppy diskette drive.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
reply to trparky
WARNING:

After dropping my Xbox Live $60 a year extortion fee, (I preordered a Ps4) which also requires a Microsoft Live account, it took me 6 MONTHS to get them to stop sending me their email crap. I called on the phone, I emailed every email that I could locate having to do with mailing lists, and used every Unsubscribe link that I could locate.

Eventually, the only thing that actually worked was submitting every one of their emails to SpamCop.

Rob
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to trparky
The Skydrive feature is actually nice to have, which requires a Live account.

You can save your files directly to Skydrive and then access them from anywhere.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
reply to trparky
said by trparky:

WHAT?!? I need a Microsoft Live account just to install Microsoft Office? I'm not installing Microsoft Office 260 that absolutely needs Microsoft Live here!

It also appears that a Microsoft account will be required to get the free Window 8.1 upgrade.

TechRepublic: Fact sheet: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (Preview)

quote:
Updated information

Microsoft has announced that Windows 8.1 will be released as free update on the Windows Store to all Windows 8 and Windows RT users on October 18, 2013.

According to reports as of August 24, 2013, Microsoft Windows 8.1 has been released to manufacturing, but no RTM version will be made available to developers and other IT professionals before the October 18 release date.

If this is true, the also appears as if Microsoft is shooting itself in the foot, again.

No chance for developers to test their programs against the release version, nor for IT professionals to test & document a way to work around any issue prior to the actual release.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
said by SCADAGeo:

quote:
According to reports as of August 24, 2013, Microsoft Windows 8.1 has been released to manufacturing, but no RTM version will be made available to developers and other IT professionals before the October 18 release date.

If this is true, the also appears as if Microsoft is shooting itself in the foot, again.

No chance for developers to test their programs against the release version, nor for IT professionals to test & document a way to work around any issue prior to the actual release.

Absolutely not true. Devs can download Windows 8.1 RTM via MSDN and TechNet subscriptions as of 9/9. VS2013 RC bits are also available today. This was previously announced through the MSDN, Partner, and enterprise channels at the beginning of August. I love how the rags and blogs make up stuff if they're not in the loop, or just don't like MS.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
reply to SCADAGeo
Well Steve Balmer is gone, YAY maybe this crap will stop soon.
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

jagged

join:2003-07-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to trparky
I actually really, really like Office 2013. Makes 2010 look awful.

Having to log in with a Microsoft account isn't all that bad. I lost an important Excel file last month, erased it by mistake, and if it hadn't backed up on Skydrive I would have been toast big time. And would have had to spend another 4 days re-creating it

So for me, logging in isn't all that bad. Plus it's 2013, almost 2014, features like that make sense. If you don't like it don't install Office. Go with Open Office or something

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to trparky
Is Office 2010 an option?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
reply to jagged
Um just do shadow copy

at work we run shadow copy on the fileserver so no matter what file it is if you delete it (so long as it existed for more than 6 hours) we can get it back without having to touch the tapes.
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

RWSI

join:2012-11-27
Albuquerque, NM
reply to trparky
I just went Linux and installed Open office. No more problems and by the way it's free!

SCADAGeo

N California
reply to DC DSL
said by DC DSL:

said by SCADAGeo:

quote:

Absolutely not true. Devs can download Windows 8.1 RTM via MSDN and TechNet subscriptions as of 9/9. VS2013 RC bits are also available today. This was previously announced through the MSDN, Partner, and enterprise channels at the beginning of August. I love how the rags and blogs make up stuff if they're not in the loop, or just don't like MS.

Would you please provide a link to the Microsoft announcement dated at the "beginning of August".

Here are articles that may be of interest:

ArsTechnica (Aug 27, 2013 1:01 pm UTC): Windows 8.1 officially finished; nobody to get it until launch day (MSDN, TechNet, and volume license customers will all have to wait).

quote:
Microsoft confirmed this morning that Windows 8.1 has been released to manufacturing ahead of its October 18 retail launch.

Microsoft also confirmed rumors that the new operating system would not be made available early to any customers. Traditionally, the company has made its new operating systems available to MSDN and TechNet subscribers, as well as volume license customers.

This allowed developers to test and update their applications ahead of release day to ensure that there were no day one upsets and similarly allowed IT departments to try out the new software.

ArsTechnica (Sep 9, 2013 5:00 pm UTC): Microsoft relents: MSDN and TechNet will get Windows 8.1 early after all (Visual Studio 2013 Release Candidate also released).

quote:
When Microsoft officially announced that Windows 8.1 had been released to manufacturing, the company said that MSDN and TechNet subscribers would have to wait until October 18th to try out the new software. This was a big—and universally unpopular—change in policy, with a massive online backlash immediately following.

Microsoft has heard the response and has changed its mind. Its new policy is the old policy: MSDN and TechNet subscribers will get immediate access to Windows 8.1 for testing and development purposes. Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 will be available to download now, and volume license versions of Windows 8.1 will be made available by the end of September. The company does warn that it is continuing to develop the online services that Windows 8.1 uses, so the software will not deliver the full, final experience just yet.

In addition to Windows, Microsoft is also making available Visual Studio 2013 Release Candidate. This version will be go-live licensed, so it can be used for developing desktop and Web applications.

One thing it can't be used for is publishing Metro-style Windows Store applications. Microsoft still isn't taking submissions of updated applications until October 18th. Our expectation is that the final version of Visual Studio 2013 will be published at some point between now and then and that app submissions will need to be built with that final version.

said by RWSI:

I just went Linux and installed Open office. No more problems and by the way it's free!

Libre Office is also available for free.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
reply to trparky
When looking at installing Office 2013 I was pretty skeptical. I'm kind of sold on it now, however. $99 per year for Office 360, and you can install Office on up to 5 computers and on your smartphone/tablet, all connected by SkyDrive so no matter where you work on your document it's always the most recent version. I'm in grad school and personally have 3 computers at home (2 desktops and a laptop), so it's very convenient.
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to trparky
said by trparky:

WTF Microsoft! How the hell do you not provide a stand-alone installer for people like me who are in many families are the go-to guy for anything tech related?

As DC DSL See Profile described, it is happening all over. Adobe CS6 is like that where you HAVE to register (authenicate) the suite with an e-mail address. This is all in the name of anti-piracy.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

BG5150

join:2008-08-14
New York, NY
reply to bionicRod
said by bionicRod:

all connected by SkyDrive so no matter where you work on your document it's always the most recent version.

You can do that with Evernote, too. Cross OS's even.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits
reply to SCADAGeo
said by SCADAGeo:

said by trparky:

It also appears that a Microsoft account will be required to get the free Window 8.1 upgrade.

TechRepublic: Fact sheet: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (Preview)

quote:
Updated information

Microsoft has announced that Windows 8.1 will be released as free update on the Windows Store to all Windows 8 and Windows RT users on October 18, 2013.

8.1 is a minor update

just like all programs that run on nt5.1 work on NT5.2 (2003 server ed) assuming license agreement allows server edition
--
Live Free or Die Hard...

SCADAGeo

N California
said by Anonymous_:

8.1 is a minor update

just like all programs that run on nt5.1 work on NT5.2 (2003 server ed) assuming license agreement allows server edition

Our experiences differ. I've had production code affected by "minor" slip-streamed Microsoft library changes.

"Regression testing" is not a phrase I associate with Microsoft.

Fortunately, Microsoft has changed its mind and reverted to its previous policy, hence the early access via MSDN and TechNet.

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to trparky
See that's the one thing I despise about Office 2013 in that you have to force the program *not* to use Skydrive.

Offer it to me as an option? Sure I get that, but don't "negative bill" me, forcing me to turn a feature off that I do not want to use.

My home PC files stay on my home PC thank you very much, if I need access to them while on the road, that's what my remote access software is for

NefCanuck