spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ihyln

join:2013-05-01

Got Fios TV for home? Think twice about business Fios 'net

Think twice before embarking on this type of journey. Our story started a few days ago when we moved to a new house and ordered Fios TV after experiencing the terrible DVR cablevision was offering. I then decided to also ditch cablevision for the internet too as their upload/download speeds across the country were pretty poor in relation to Fios.

So on 9/5 a Fios tech activates the ethernet port on the ONT and he leaves after simply telling me to install a switch by the ONT and have a cat5 cable go into the WAN port on the actiontec. I did this because my business relies on using site to site VPNs through sonicwall and ciscos. The tech should have remained on site before confirming the tv was borked but I had work to do and signed off. Big mistake. Turns out that once you order business fios while having residential TV service the actiontec will not pick up a DHCP lease on its wan port. I even tried passing internet through to the actiontec via our router but VOD movies would not load and we'd always get "audio/video lock" errors.

the only way to rectify this was to order a static block of IPs and give the actiontec its own static IP. 1 IP would have been just fine but being forced to pay $20 in order to get residential TV and business internet to work seems extremely unfair. We aren't going into the poorhouse over $20 but the principle of the matter is that Verizon should anticipate these kinds of configurations and support it accordingly.

Any thoughts on this?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
said by ihyln:

telling me to install a switch by the ONT and have a cat5 cable go into the WAN port on the actiontec.

The tech was assuming you had static IPs. You can't connect multiple devices to the ONT using a switch without static IPs.

said by ihyln:

the actiontec will not pick up a DHCP lease on its wan port

Business accounts without static IPs get one DHCP address just like a residential account.

said by ihyln:

the only way to rectify this was to order a static block of IPs and give the actiontec its own static IP

Not true. Presumably you also have a router connected to the ONT (you didn't mention this). You can simply connect the Actiontec behind your router. If you don't otherwise need static IPs for your business, there is no need to get them just for FIOS-TV.

said by ihyln:

1 IP would have been just fine

If you go the static IP route, you would need one static IP for each device connected to the switch off the WAN port on the ONT. This would be at least two. One for your router and one for the Actiontec, You can't get a DHCP address on an account with static IPs.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

ihyln

Sorry, I forgot to mention that yes I had our router connected to the switch from the ONT. Even when I did try to get the actiontec to work behind our router VOD would not work. We'd get the guide and pull up the VOD menu but actual titles would not load without a audio / video lock error. Once I got the static IPs the VOD suddenly worked so I assume it was some kind of double natting issue going on?

Either way my main gripe is that Verizon should support fios business internet and residential TV without hoops.

I have coax running to my office as well so I could bring the actiontec upstairs where the router is and try it again but if it didn't work the last time I don't know why it would now.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
said by ihyln:

Even when I did try to get the actiontec to work behind our router VOD would not work. We'd get the guide and pull up the VOD menu but actual titles would not load without a audio / video lock error.

I don't know what kind of router you have in front, but when there are video lockup issues with the Actiontec behind another router, it's usually due to QOS settings in the primary router.

Yes, the Actiontec is double NAT'ed, but that doesn't matter. VOD is a well behaved DHCP client and double NATing is not an issue.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

ihyln

A Sonicwall TZ 205 and no QOS of any sort is being applied.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
If you have stateful or deep packet features turned on that will tank the routers performance. And it has QOS, by default I believe it enabled for the VOIP LAN traffic. For sure its something configured in the Sonicwall that's causing the VOD issues

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX
reply to ihyln
You know, I don't think there is even a point to have a business DHCP account. There is honestly no difference between that and residential except that you pay Verizon more.

ihyln

I will try turning any DPI off. QOS for VOIP is also off.

As verizon has recently showed us that residential "unlimited" isn't unlimited. Plus we need ports open.

mario44222

join:2003-11-22
Cliffside Park, NJ
I have my actiontec router running behind my Sonicwall and works fine for VOD and tv guide. It's possible you have something enabled that is blocking the traffic to it.

McBane

Plano, TX
reply to ihyln
And when they pushed those people on business accounts and the bandwidth continued to be used they sent them the exact same notices.

See thread: »[Business] VZ going after me again for bandwidth usage. On small.

There is really NO difference at all between business DHCP and residential fios other than you are paying Verizon more money for the same service. You are just wasting money on it for nothing.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
reply to McBane
Fios business has as a benefit is static IP option, for DHCP it would be no blocked ports, like 25 and can configure reverse lookup for running your own email services

McBane

Plano, TX
Yeah, that used to be the case, but from what I hear and understand they no longer block any ports on residential.

I've always had business with a static IP block since I've had fios so I have no way to confirm myself.

ihyln

reply to guppy_fish
Mario,

Would you be able to send me your config file or send screenshots if you would rather do that? If I'm going to pay for a block of IPs I don't want to waste one on the actiontec

McBane

Plano, TX
This doesn't give exact screenshots and commands but you can gather how it's done from here:

»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

You may even find yourself a better option.

ihyln

1 edit
Just a quick update. I contacted VZW escalations when I explained the issue to them and they told me that due to my configuration I should have two ONTs from the get go. A tech is scheduled on Friday to install it so I can go back to one static IP and save myself the $20 towards some good food.

Pher9999

join:2011-07-06
Carmel, NY
reply to ihyln
You don't need 2 ONT, I had business Net with Residential TV and Phone off one ONT. The difference is I had 5 statics. Sounds like the Sonic wall isn't letting the VOD traffic through. I was using a CISCO 3600 as my primary with the Actiontec behind it. In the end I went with the Actiontec on it's own static off the switch directly connected to the ONT.