spc
Search similar:

uniqs

TheUncleBob
@frontiernet.net

TheUncleBob

Anon

[DSL] Frontier DSL - Two Modems?

Quick question. I have Frontier Communications (Southern Illinois, former Verizon territory) and have dry loop DSL.

Currently sporting the Westell 327w modem on one side of my house.

I wanted to get something on the other side of my house and considered setting up a bridge or getting one of those network extenders, but didn't want the loss of speed that you usually get by doing that.

Can I purchase another Westell 327w and plug it into a phone jack on the other end of the house? Or is that going to confuse the Frontier computers?
Action2
join:2010-06-29
Champaign, IL

Action2

You will not be able to put two modems on the same DSL line, what you most likely need is one of the longer Ethernet cables.

I am assuming that wireless is not an option, but the loss of speed associated with it will not be noticeable if setup correctly with most DSL speeds.
atigerman
join:2002-01-19
Tigerton, WI

atigerman to TheUncleBob

to TheUncleBob
I think the longest ethernet cable you can buy is 100 foot long, anything else you will have to make your own.

cool88
@frontiernet.net

cool88

Anon

so this one thing i want 2 know if i am not on dry loop dsl and have phone and internet with frontier can i use the backup modem i have via another phone jack with the main modem on i have a netgear 7550 (main) and westell 7500 (back up) modems can i use them both at the same time. without get charged extra.
atigerman
Tigerton, WI

atigerman

If you look one post up you will find that answer...

But one dsl internet account per modem.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

Hank to cool88

Premium Member

to cool88
Your post does not quite make sense. I think you are saying that you currently have telephone and internet service with Frontier. But you also want to get either the second connect with Frontier or a dry loop internet connection with another provider. You certainly can use both connections at the same time because they are separate services and each line uses a separate phone line, even if Frontier supplies both connections. But as previously stated you can only use one modem on one DSL circuit. You cannot use two modems on the same circuit nor can you bond them, they are designed to be used independently. If you connect the second modem up to a phone jack at the other end of the house you will have to make sure that jack is connected to the pair for the second line.

Strider7Sfga
@50.126.222.x

Strider7Sfga to TheUncleBob

Anon

to TheUncleBob
A couple possible solutions present themselves.

1.) Depending on the distance and number of walls the wireless signal has to pass through, you could have Frontier send you their latest wireless N gateway modem.(Netgear 7550-wireless N.) Although I'm far from crazy about the 7550's overall performance, (mass produced, Chinese POS in my opinion,) it will greatly extend the strength and range of wireless coverage your current Westell 327w can't give. (wireless G if memory serves. Had one when we first subscribed to DSL with Verizon.) I'm surprised that Frontier hasn't sent a replacement modem long ago. Westell 7500-w/g replaced the 327 before Verizon dumped us. The Netgear 7550-w/n since then. As an FYI, If you call tech support and have an in home visit scheduled, they may, at your request, swap out the gateway modem for you. This may, or may not keep you from having to pay the additional equipment rental / support fee. Ask to be certain.

2.) Have you looked into the use of Power line Adapters lately? I use them and have had great results with them. Most are pretty much plug-n-play, Pop one adapter into an electrical wall socket close to the modem. Plug one of the, (usually included in the kits,) RJ45 Ethernet cables into an available Ethernet port, the other end into the adapter. Place the other adapter(s) wherever you need them for internet connectivity. The most I've ever had to do to get the various adapters to synchronize was a modem power off/on cycle. If the electrical wiring and breakers are fairly new, you probably would have no problems using that as a cheap, dependable way to get internet access to the other end of the home. If the connection is being used for streaming, or gaming, both perhaps, then a hardwired solution surpasses wireless anytime. They're quite a few to choose from, depending on your throughput needs. The online retailers such as TigerDirect, Newegg, etc... have been running some pretty nice specials on a variety of power-line adapters. I picked up the 2 set's of Actiontech 500mbps adapters for half as much as 1 set of trendnet 200mbps adapters cost me a couple years ago. Price is coming down, dependability is going up. Not to mention the the size of them these days being small enough to no longer cover both plug outlets.
pittpete1
join:2009-06-12

pittpete1 to TheUncleBob

to TheUncleBob
Bob, run an ethernet(CAT 5)line from your modem and use a router or another modem(bridged)
I have it like this in my home.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank to TheUncleBob

Premium Member

to TheUncleBob
Strider7Sfga and pittpete1 - Those are both very good suggestions. I was confused by his second post. But if he has just the one line and doesn't want to get a second line the options the two of you have posted are very viable options for him.
atigerman
Tigerton, WI

atigerman

said by Hank:I was confused by his second post.
[/bquote :

Just wanted to point out that two different people posted issues...

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to atigerman

Premium Member

to atigerman
said by atigerman:

I think the longest ethernet cable you can buy is 100 foot long, anything else you will have to make your own.

They can be up to 100 Meters (roughly 300'). Amazon has a listing for a 300' Patch cable @ $36:
»www.amazon.com/300ft-Eth ··· _cp_pc_1

TheUncleBob
@frontiernet.net

TheUncleBob to Strider7Sfga

Anon

to Strider7Sfga
They offered to send me a new modem at one point, but tried to pull the $7/month fee. Not interested, aside from the range, this modem has been a workhorse. I've obviously had it a long, long time.

I might have to look into those power line adapters. Thanks for the tip!

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

2 edits

Hank

Premium Member

TheUncleBob - purchase your own. But do they still have the rental fee? For some reason I thought they did away with the rental fee.

Thanks atigerman.

Strider7Sfga
@50.126.222.x

Strider7Sfga to TheUncleBob

Anon

to TheUncleBob
You're welcome. I got around the modem support / rental fee by buying and installing my own ADSL2+ gateway modem. Bought an Actiontech GT784WN (wireless N, dual external antenna.) It's compatible with a number of ISP's, Frontier included. Cost around $80.ish 2-3 years back. Current sale price is $65.00 free shipping @ newegg. URL: »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 784WN-01
Actiontech 500mbps power line adapter kit (2) not a bad price at the moment. 55% off $44.00 free ship.
URL: »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· er%20kit

The Modem has a nice feel and look to it, much like the westell 327w did. settings interface is pretty speedy and easy to learn and It surpasses the performance of any of the products that frontier is shipping out to most of us on above ground copper wire services. Modem is upstairs, 2 power line adapters downstairs and one in the guest room upstairs. No long runs of Ethernet cable to try and hide or pull through existing conduit, No hassle with trying to bridge modems for use as a wireless extender, etc.. It was an Easy setup for the modem. released the IP on the old modem. powered down. Connected the Actiontech and the wizard pulled the settings auto-magically. It's been my, as you put it, Work horse ever since. I'm sure there are newer, better adsl2+ gateway modems out there available, but this gives quite a bit of bang for the buck and will keep you on budget if you need a cheaper, but dependable solution.