gat gnitsoP
Premium
join:2002-03-30
Reading, PA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Is there a way to this in GIMP?

»www.techhive.com/article/200184/···cus.html

If you don't feel like clicking the link...

An Easier Method: Stacking Photos in Photoshop
If slaving over the Clone tool sounds like too much work, then I've got a fast and simple solution that you might enjoy. The downside? Not only does it require the full Creative Suite edition of Photoshop, but it's also a technique you have to plan for when you originally take the photo.

In a nutshell, Photoshop can take a series of similar photos and automatically remove parts that don't belong in all the photos, leaving behind only those sections that are identical in every one. Here's a crowded shot, for example, with people moving around in the scene.
Here's what to do: When you take a photo of something in which a bunch of tourists are cluttering up the photo, take a bunch of photos so that, over a handful of shots, you thoroughly photograph every bit of the scene. In each photo, you'll have unwanted people, but they'll move around from shot to shot, leaving the background consistent in every frame you shoot. It's best to shoot this on a tripod, but if you're hand-holding the camera it might be okay; just be sure to keep the framing as consistent as possible in every photo.

When you get home, load all the photos into Photoshop and then choose File, Scripts, Statistics. Change the Stack Mode to Median, and then click Add Open Files. Finally, click OK. That's all you need to do. Photoshop will think for a little while (depending upon how many photos you supplied), and you will end up with a photo with no tourists, almost like magic. I took a series of six photos to get this human-free photo.
--
Photoshop these nuts in your mouth.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
Googled

statistics script photoshop gimp

Found

»registry.gimp.org/node/5012

Not bad, for free.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
I couldn't think of a way to google it properly.
Hmm...that seems like it could get the job done. Only I'd be using this on a Mac. I'm not sure I quite understand how to get this going on GIMP for Mac. Or....if it's already on the version I'm using.
--

Eboli2x4

join:2002-07-20
Hubbard, TX

1 recommendation

reply to onebadmofo
If I had several shots from a tripod, I'd open each in gimp, copy/paste as a new layer until I had all as layers in one session. I'd then make all but 2 layers visible, add layer mask, and remove the unwanted objects possible, then merge visible layers as a single layer. Then make another layer visible, move it up or down, add layer mask, and remove some more unwanted objects, merge visible layers, and repeat as necessary. (assuming I understand what you're trying to do. )

old400

@172.56.27.x
Another option to get rid of cars people not mentioned is to pick a quiet time of day. usually very early morning when not much people around. if people still present use a very dark neutral filter and a small aperture. that will give you exposure time like 10 to 30 minutes. Few people will stay in same plac te for 10 minutes. try filters like two maxed polarizers or an nd400 (1/400 th of the light gets through,,, ~8 stops reduction)

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
reply to onebadmofo
Found this...didn't do too bad a job.
But I moved the tripod ever so slightly for the first shot or 2 and it made the outcome blurry. And you have to do a little maintenance to it like minor stamp/cloning. But over all it did decent job. I'd post the pics but I deleted them a few days ago.
--