share rss forum feed

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1

Free Space Optical Link - 220,000 miles range

There is a problem stabilizing the recently launched lunar explorer, but hopefully it will be solved by end of September. Sometime in October, we should be getting HD videos of Earthrise from the moon ... via a 622mbps/384,000km free space optical link!

Hopefully we will benefit from advances like active tracking telescope and carbon nanotube photon detector for really long range terrestrial FSO links ... sometime in the near future.

MIT review article

»www.technologyreview.com/news/51···cations/

NASA video

»www.youtube.com/v/ptfLfrWI648

raytaylor

join:2009-07-28
i get the feeling that i am about to watch a video of a mirror sitting on the moon, with a really really powerful telescope aimed at it from earth, with a digital camera pointed at the eyepiece

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
Near the bottom of MIT review article:

eight satellites whizzing around the planet at an altitude of about 12,000 kilometers would create a total system capacity of six terabits per second—and download speeds of 200 gigabits per second, about 100 times faster than today’s radio links. ... the company’s main aim is to become a wholesale supplier of bandwidth to other carriers ...

It also mentions the upcoming O3B satellite project (150mbps) and the Google Loon experiments.

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to lutful
Now THAT is an ISP lol!

I must admit, I'm a NASA/Space fanatic so this stuff is awesome