Search similar:

uniqs
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Second bonded upstream channel disappears?

Click for full size
Earlier
Click for full size
Now
Earlier this evening, my Upstream Power level was 54dBmV and my second bonded upstream channel was gone. They were both there on Wednesday (didn't check on Thursday) and the power level was at 51 dBmV. I've had two upstream channels for about 5-6 months. (The Kona side has had 3 upstream since May...I don't know why the Hilo side only has 2).

I unplugged the router and modem a little while ago, waited a few minutes, rebooted the computer and plugged the modem in, let it sync, and then plugged in the router. I have 2 bonded upstream channels again and the Upstream Power level is now 53dBmV.

My upstream power level fluctuates from 44dBmV to 55dBmV and has been doing this for a long time. It has not crept above 51dBmV in awhile though until tonight. I've never lost an upstream channel before tonight. Why did I lose it? Because of the upstream power level? I'm wondering also if the reason I don't have the third upstream bonded channel that the other side of the island has (and maybe most of Hilo too for all I know) is because of high upstream power level at times and the wide fluctuation of the upstream power level?

Modem log shows a T3 and then T4 timeout on Thursday late afternoon when I wasn't here. I bet when the modem rebooted is when the second upstream channel was lost. That's the first time I have seen a T4 timeout since I got this modem back in November 2013.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

2 edits

DocDrew

Premium Member

Your upstream signal levels are too high and fluctuate too much. The upstream should ideally be 50-40 dB and not fluctuate more than 3 dB in 24 hours. The high levels are what is causing the modem to drop down to a single upstream channel. Wider channels and multiple channels reduce the maximum individual transmitted channel power the modem can output.

You should really get that fixed. It's probably caused by a loose connector, corroded connector, or damaged cable. Something is interrupting the signal flow on the center conductor of the cable.

»volpefirm.com/docsis-3-0 ··· -modems/

kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
54dbmv is borderline drop for those channels(modulations/symbols) thats why it dissapears sometimes, most likely it will show up as t4 timeout errors/partial service.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew
I would get it fixed but it is IMPOSSIBLE to contact Oceanic. NHD cannot get through either.

There is great disrespect of Oceanic internet customers now. I cannot reach Tier 1 to set up a truck roll which NHD agreed was needed.

If I had a TV problem it would be easy and quick to reach Tier 1 and Oceanic would be falling all over themselves to get out here as quickly as possible to fix it. But if you have a Road Runner problem (and here it is still Road Runner) you will go through hell trying to get help.

It is Saturday afternoon so I can't imagine why Tier 1 has so many calls mine gets dropped AFTER WAITING ON HOLD FOR 11 MINUTES. Used to we would be invited to leave our name and number for call back in a few minutes. Now we just wait and NHD keeps trying to get a connection then eventually we get disconnected.

Line Quality test here shows FAIL at low, medium and high bandwidth streams.
»/pingt ··· /3082379

Should I post in the RR dedicated forum here?

kilrathi
Premium Member
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
do u have any splitters that u can remove or change before it comes to your cable modem?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

The cable line is on a two way splitter - one to modem - one to TV. Both are within 6 feet of the wall cable outlet. The computers are desktops on wired only connection.

I did crawl under a piece of furniture to reach the cable line where it goes to the splitter. I tightened the connections...although they don't seem to really tighten - the connection from the splitter to the cable line from the wall I could tighten but the two splitter lines don't seem to tighten. I had wanted to remove the TV line and see how that affected the modem connection but I couldn't get it off. One hand is weak from brain damage years ago (drunk driver hit me) plus, grip strength, especially in women, weakens as one gets older. Plus, I was straining my back trying to reach the splitter. So, I couldn't get it off to test without the TV.

Now when I check the modem stats, I have even wilder and more rapid fluctuation on the upstream level. It was at 52dBmV on both channels when I first tried to tighten the connections and then rebooted and restarted the modem and router. Then I decided to try removing the TV but couldn't do that and I came back to the computer and refreshed the modem stat page, it was at 49dBmV for both upstream channels! I was pleased for about two minutes when I refreshed the page again and upstream level changed yet again to 53 dBmV (on the 64QAM channel) and 50dBmV (on the 16QAM channel). I just checked the levels again after typing this and they are 52dBmV and 53dmV now.

Maybe I just need a new splitter....whatever, it should not be such a huge hassle to get Oceanic out here to fix it.

I haven't had a decent line quality test here since July 17. Since that date ALL tests have shown COMPLETE FAIL at low, medium and higher bandwidth streams.
»/pingt ··· /3082379
Mele20

Mele20

Premium Member

I'm not a big chat fan but I decided to try LOCAL Oceanic chat. Hmpf. That is misleading as it does not exist any longer. Oceanic.com chat page simply flipped me to TWC.com chat which appeared blacked out. I'm on Fx 17.0.8 ESR which supposedly is supported. I was really surprised to see that IE 10 (which is the first version of IE since IE6 that is good) is NOT supported! (What do all the Windows 8 users who have only IE 10 64bit do)?

Anyhow, I don't know exactly what I did other than look to see what Ghostery might be blocking (advertising, Google) and I didn't pause Ghostery or allow the advertising or Google snooping through but right after I looked at Ghostery, the page went from black to white. But I didn't try chatting as that is NATIONAL chat. It was informing me that I now have CBS back...well, I never lost CBS. That tells me this chat will have ZERO to do with Oceanic tier 1 which is who I need to reach to schedule a truck roll. Chat will be a repeat of the phone call to Oceanic that sent me to NHD which could not connect me to tier 1 to schedule an appt.

I am really pissed at how bad contacting Oceanic has become UNLESS I call and lie and say I have a TV problem. Really awful situation which screams that TWC does NOT value any customers except TV ones.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal

1 edit

DocDrew

Premium Member

Wow you talk yourself out of help before you actually use it. You make getting help way too complicated. Just call the generic help number 808-643-2100 or actually use the chat
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I am not calling LONG DISTANCE AND PAYING LONG DISTANCE RATES. There is no overall "generic" number in Hawaii for Oceanic. The number is different on each island so that neighbor island users can call toll free...not "800" number but a "643" number which a lot of businesses use for toll free to Oahu from the neighbor islands.

I always call the LOCAL Oceanic number in our phone book "643-2337". That gets me a local recorded voice that asks if the problem is TV or internet. If I say TV then I get LOCAL Oceanic tier 1. If I say internet then AUTOMATICALLY I am immediately transferred to NHD in the Philippines. I followed the rules and this time when asked by the automated voice to describe the problem I was careful to just say "internet problem". Then I was asked if I had Earthlink Broadband, AOL Broadband or Road Runner Broadband. We still have Road Runner everywhere here....no mention of TWC internet. (The cashier in Target, a few minutes ago, said she didn't know what do when she got flipped (like I did) to "TWC internet" when she has "Oceanic Road Runner". I had to explain to her about the rental fee going up on the next bill for the modem as she couldn't believe Target still has NO 6141 modems and hasn't for a month now. The clerk who cares for that area told me Target cannot get anymore and it will be MONTHS before the store has them again).

I didn't know AOL was still offering broadband. I wonder how you order it? Anyhow, calling the "generic" Oceanic number just gets me sent to NHD and NHD was UNABLE to connect me at 2PM to Oceanic Tier 1. I have not been connected to Tier 1 via NHD since these insane changes where there now is no offer to call you back when your turn in the queue comes up. NHD tries to connect to Tier 1 (or Tier 3) but I always end up (after 15-30 minute wait on hold) with a dial tone. Oceanic must have been told to fire almost all Tier 1 employees so there is a huge backup and wait time and, ALWAYS, in instances like this the neighbor island callers are the ones that get "accidentally" dropped during the waiting. This is if you have Hawaiian Telcom landline as I do. (I complained to them thelast time and they said it is deliberate on Oceanic's part and that if I want Oceanic to not drop the call that I need to get Oceanic's phone service instead as this is a way to make us do that).

So, I am not calling again and wasting more of my time. I don't need to waste time on a NHD chat either. I need to communicate with Tier 1. I'll have to go by the local office next week but I probably won't be going into town until the middle of the week. That's probably better anyway because if I do get Tier 1 on the phone they will tell me that they cannot give me an afternoon appointment like they could from 2001 until last quarter 2012. They will tell me that TWC Mainland (corporate) requires now that I be at home from 7:30AM to 5:00PM on the day they are scheduled to come out. Since I sleep from 4:30AM to 11:30AM it is bit absurd to think that I am ok with three hours sleep and then maybe waiting all day for them to come. If I go by the local office they should be able to give me an afternoon appointment.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

2 edits

DocDrew

Premium Member

Click for full size
The number on the Oceanic website is 643-2100. I tried it with an 808 area code and it picked up. »www.oceanic.com/help/abo ··· ne_hours

Long distance rates? haven't seen those in more than 10 years....

But if you don't like that, call your Oceanic Technical Manager friend you say you can easily call. Tell him how bad it is to get tech support and you need help. No point in keeping the number if you're not going to use it.

Stop convincing yourself you are going to fail before you really try.

kilrathi
Premium Member
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
check if that splitter has any numbers on each connection, like -3.5db or -8db
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I don't see any numbers. Years ago the splitter clearly showed -3.5db on it.

It's at 48dBmV again this afternoon on both channels at 3PM. Now, at 4PM it is at 48 on one and 49 on the other.

Konaguy
Live From Hawaii
Premium Member
join:2000-10-21
Kailua Kona, HI
·Hawaiian Telcom

Konaguy to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
I repeatedly tried to help you resolve the issues with your Internet service, but all you did was make excuses. This is why I stopped talking to you. It got really frustrating, so I had to step away. I can only do so much.

There is an inherent signal issue with the node serving your area. Richard Gamberg was able to successfully get help for you the last time you had service issues. However, you've gotten yourself stuck in the tar baby syndrome, which has made you too content with your speed issues.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Sorry, but INSISTING that I had to downgrade to 3/384 was NOT a viable way to fix my problem! You just made matters worse by contacting the VP for operations when I never asked you to do that. I was stunned when you told me you had done that! Then you got upset and said because the VP was ignoring the situation that I had to downgrade so that he would pay attention to the problem. That made no sense to me ...any of it.

You also have a bad memory. Richard called the VP for operations ((Roger Ponder) on my behalf back in 2002 I believe it was. I didn't ask Richard to do that either and it was a bit embarrassing that he did becauseRoger then got Blayne (head of operations for Hilo) out of his nephew's wedding on a Sunday afternoon and demanded he call me right then. There was no reason to drag Blayne out of a wedding when it could have waited until Monday...especially after how long I had already waited. (But much of the problem is that you and Richard are kanes and I am a wahine and you guys always want to take action (blindly and too rushed a lot of the time) and gals want to discuss the problem (maybe for too long sometimes). So, its really a gender clash!

It is a little strange that you are claiming that I have had a perfect connection from then until you got mad at me last year as you know that isn't true.

Further, you insisted, just before you got mad at me, that I had to downgrade to 3/384 since I was not getting my money's worth and somehow downgrading would force Oceanic to pay attention and fix it. That was a cockamamie notion I thought. So, I didn't do it and you got mad because I didn't do what you insisted I had to do. Then later, you acted immaturely. I apologized to you even though I thought the reason you were mad made no sense. You refused to accept my apology and did not even reply until now (where you have replied publicly, I guess out of spite, which also shows immaturity). I thought we were long time friends yet you did not even have the grace to accept my apology. Plus, you never even told me, in the first place, that you were furious with me. I had to finally ask why I hadn't heard from you in awhile! I had no idea you were mad.

I didn't make excuses either. I got it fixed! I got upgraded to 20/2 for a year for the same price I was paying for 15/1 ($10 a month more than Standard tier). Since it is usually $20 a month more for 20/2 I though I did good! Plus, I got a brand new DOCISIS 3 Surfboard modem (6141) from Oceanic rather than the crappy other modems they were forcing on most users. That was last November and I've been fine most of the time since then.

For the past several days now, upstream has been at 46-49 dBmV. I have had no more T3 or T4 timeouts (only had one T4 timeout). My speed was never affected (at about 23/2.4). I don't have any idea what you reference by "tar baby syndrome" which I have never heard of. Looking it up, I have no recollection of "Brer Rabbit" being what? read to me as a kid? I'm not "stuck" in a repeating problem which is what I guess you mean. Thane would not agree that there is an "inherent" problem on the node. He FIXED the problem I had back in 2002 which affected everyone on the node but I was the ONLY person who HAD THE GUTS TO TAKE ACTION AND GET IT FIXED. I've had problems off and on since then but not always node problems...there have been numerous building problems, drop line, etc. EVERY TIME, the problem has involved MANY RR users yet I have, each time, been the ONLY USER TO TAKE ACTION TO GET IT FIXED. Then I have been profusely thanked by everyone else who was affected but they refuse to take responsibility to get anything fixed. And you have the gall to claim I am stuck in tar and I don't take responsibility? Wow.

Konaguy
Live From Hawaii
Premium Member
Kailua Kona, HI
·Hawaiian Telcom

1 edit

Konaguy to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
I tried to help you with your speed issues and encouraged you to take the steps necessary to get the problems resolved. However, you consistently dragged your feet whenever I tried to help you. I grew tired of your constant complaints and unwillingness to address your ongoing issues with your connection. Its like you enjoyed complaining and doing nothing about the issues at hand. This is why I stopped communicating with you.

I don't regret suggesting that you downgrade your service to 3/384. There is a serious issue with your node, which is causing your spotty service. Oceanic is unable to fully address these issues, as they repeatedly seem to crop up over and over again. So, why pay for service you are not getting your monies worth?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I am getting my money's worth! I don't know why you think I am not. I have NO speed issues. I had an upstream bonded channel drop ONE TIME.

I like to discuss things. I should have known that as a male you hate discussing anything.

I never dragged my feet.

You have ignored what I asked for in this thread. I asked for a way to AVOID ALWAYS getting the NHD when I call Oceanic. It is an AUTOMATIC TRANSFER (unless I lie and say the issue about my TV service). I never get local customer service on the phone. Is there a trick to getting tier one on the phone now? I also asked why Oceanic evidently no longer has chat? I get thrown to that horrible new, extremely ugly, and depressing looking National TWC site if I try to initiate chat with Oceanic. I don't want to chat with National TWC. Besides, nothing on a site as horrible looking as the national TWC site could be good. Only idiots would design such a ponderous, heavy, and bleak looking site that has almost zero help where the old RR help site was OUTSTANDING.

So, is chat gone from Oceanic with Oceanic customer service reps or is there a way to get that?

Also, is there some way when I do get NHD to NOT get disconnected? I get disconnected every time. Plus, I get echo and static. Is there a way to avoid that? Obviously, I want to talk to Oceanic customer service to avoid the myriad of problems that happen when I get connected to the Philippines. How do I get to Oceanic customer service? (Yes, I can email Chris but he so busy that is not really that helpful). Is there a way to get a truck roll scheduled for any afternoon without being punished because I ask for afternoon appointment as I will be asleep at 8AM? I get told the first afternoon appt is two months away but a morning appt is just a few days. That doesn't make sense especially when if I go by the office I get an afternoon appt right away. So, how do I avoid the punishment that NHD inflicts if you want an afternoon appt? How do I resolve the issue of NHD rarely being able to contact Oceanic on my behalf? They get continuous busy signal and try for 10 minutes and still can't get through.

The above are all valid issues that will NOT be fixed if I were to punish myself by downgrading to 3/384! So, if you want to give me help give me USEFUL help ....not tell me to downgrade when I have NO speed problems. I have SHITTY customer service (except when I go by the office) and that is what needs addressing.

I recall that you got much more upset about YOUR SPEED ISSUES. Why didn't you take your own advice about downgrading?

Konaguy
Live From Hawaii
Premium Member
Kailua Kona, HI
·Hawaiian Telcom

Konaguy to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
There is a difference between discussing and complaining, as you are aware. Your e-mails gradually descended between the latter. You blamed Oceanic for everything and refused to lift a finger. I tried to help you, but I can only do so much. Any self respecting individual would've stopped helping years ago, but I'm not like that. However, my patience ran out when you refused to take the last step and threw up barriers instead.

I did downgrade my service two years ago for a few months until Oceanic upgraded their network infrastructure.
Expand your moderator at work
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Konaguy

Premium Member

to Konaguy

Re: Second bonded upstream channel disappears?

Huh? You downgraded a couple of months ago also.

I thought we were FRIENDS. Friends do not treat each other like you did me. I don't think you really know what a friend is. I NEVER asked you to take the liberties you did and you should not have written to Oceanic management without first asking my permission since you mentioned me by name.

You got upset because the VP for Operations began ignoring your emails about your own speed problem. Then you got crazy and said I should downgrade to 3/384. I wondered why I should do that but you shouldn't since you were getting ignored about your problems.

I have all the emails between the two of us going back many years and they do not reflect what you claim. You keep no emails from anybody (you used to ask me for my copy of emails that you immediately deleted that had to do with Oceanic) so I doubt you recall any of this accurately. You are just mad because your emails to the VP of Operations got ignored because you kept bugging him about your problems and then added mine without bothering too tell me you planned to do that. I would have told you NO don't write him about my problem because it was obvious you were cooking your own goose with him and I sure didn't want you including me there. (I groaned when I got that first email from you about what you had done but I said nothing because you had already done it. So, I chose to be very nice instead and support what you did).

You even left Oceanic a few years ago for HawaiiTelcom because you pushed it too far with your own complaints. Eventually, you did the same thing with HawaiiTelcom.

I know you want to have the last say so go ahead but I will not reply any further and I will not read this thread again. Please don't send me a copy of your reply in an IM. If you have something else to say in an IM (like an apology) then that is fine but please no copy of your posts here sent also to me by IM.
jpatton1979
join:2011-08-10
Louisville, KY
Pace 5268AC
Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

1 recommendation

jpatton1979 to Mele20

to Mele20
Part of your problem is you're expecting to always get to talk to someone locally in Hawaii, since that's the way it was in the past. I hate to burst your fragile little bubble but things change. I used to be with Insight (before TWC bought them out) and I could call our local office for issues during business hours and after hours I got routed to Louisville (~1 hour away). Now that the acquisition has completed I get routed to the NHD first for pretty much everything. Things change. DEAL WITH IT!

Another part is that you keep saying you want to talk to tier one. Tier one is the lowest level of support/help (usually can only go of written scripts/procedures). Tier one is almost always the NHD (it has nothing to do with how close it is to you). If their scripts can't fix your issue they have to send to a higher tier or schedule a service call.

So the way I see you you can:

1.) Call the local number DrDrew was nice enough to provide and initially tell them it's a TV issue (or it with all services). They may or may not re-route you to the NHD after you say it's an internet issue. If your conscience has issues, then;

2.) Call the NHD and schedule a truck-roll. You can either request an afternoon appointment and wait serveral months like you claim or you can request a morning appointment and wait a few days. That one morning you *MAY* miss a few hours of beauty sleep.

Either way no one really cares anymore. It's time to put on your big girl panties and actually do something other than complain. Yes, I said COMPLAIN. There's nothing to "discuss" as you like to say. You've been told SEVERAL times by different people on what to do, yet you basically refuse. Why is it that when a woman asks for help and she doesn't like the answer she complains, all the while expecting the answer to change. IT'S NOT!