how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

arvand007

join:2011-08-09
l4s

[Cable] help modem diagnostic and connection

My tsi cable been down since Thursday. I gave up on teksavvy support phone as they never pickup.
Right now i have all solid lights but still no connectivity. The diagnostic page doesn't load either. However if i disconnect the coaxial cable i can then see the diagnostic. Any idea what might be wrong? I live in Richmondhill L4S area.

zolotoiy

join:2010-12-16
Richmond Hill, ON
Post in direct forums, leave your cell # so you don't have to wait.
I am in L4S area but my Inet is ok.

arvand007

l4s
reply to arvand007
thanks i have done that already.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
I have asked one of my team members to pick your thread up in the direct.

arvand007

l4s
thanks

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
reply to arvand007
Welcome

monsoon66

join:2007-01-13
Toronto, ON
reply to arvand007
The technicolor dcm476 has an issue where if you are having DHCP issues you cannot access the diagnostic page.

When I was having DHCP issues last week my lights were all solid, but I had no connection and could not access the modem. Once the connection came back I could access the modem diagnostic.

arvand007

l4s
ok, my modem is actually thomson dcm475. I finally got able to talk to teksavvy (they called me) and did some trouble shooting and everything seems good except the fact that i cant get an IP. The tech believes the issue is because of the older firmware on my modem and also mentioned that this modem is out of support and even if they wanted to open a ticket with rogers, it wouldnt be accepted by rogers. The modem and internet were just fine until Wednesday and all of a sudden its out of support! Anyhow, they are swapping my modem and once the new one arrives i will test and see how it goes. For now my neighbor has been nice enough to let me to use his WIFI

garbage911

join:2013-09-04
l5b
reply to arvand007
let us know if this gets resolved.

personally, i think this might be one of their rf signal/dhcp issues and they're just stalling for time.

but still; let us know, will be very interested in hearing what happens

arvand007

l4s
reply to arvand007
ok here is an update on this issue. I was away for few days and finally got my new modem last night. I hooked it up and got connected but only for 10 minutes. After that the modem recycled itself and went to an infinite loop. I had to factory reset it to make it work again for another 5-10 minutes and then infinite recycles again. Been like that all last night and this morning. And as usuall teksavvy customer support never picks up and im on hold for more than an hour. pretty bad service

TSI Jonathan
Premium
join:2011-08-24
canada
kudos:10
Hi arvand007,

Feel free to post in the direct forum so that we can assist you from there. Our apologies about the wait times, If you wish to have a callback by one of our technical support agents, feel free to ask for that in the direct forum with you best contact number and time.

»TekSavvy Direct

Cheers,

TSI Jonathan
--
Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

arvand007

l4s
i did reply to my older thread there, is that enough or do i need new topic?

TSI Jonathan
Premium
canada
Nope, that's good.

arvand007

l4s
well, seems nobody is calling. i want somebody to call me now. I dont have the whole day to wait on your tech support and seems your customer service is getting worst day by day.

TSI Jonathan
Premium
canada
Hi arvand007,

Can you PM me your phone number and I will place a callback in our phone system to have a Tech Support agent call you back instead.

Thank you,

TSI Jonathan
--
Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

TSI Jonathan
Premium
canada

1 edit
Nevermind, just saw you posted your number on the direct forum.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to arvand007
said by arvand007:

ok, my modem is actually thomson dcm475. I finally got able to talk to teksavvy (they called me) and did some trouble shooting and everything seems good except the fact that i cant get an IP. The tech believes the issue is because of the older firmware

The firmware is not causing your issue. However, the firmware you have (almost certainly 2.08) isn't great, and you should have it upgraded if you can. I do this for $10, but there are several other users on dslreports who do it as well (from Pir8pete's sig ):
:Firmware upgrade Team:
mlord See Profile (Ottawa) - DCM475 & DCM476
Pir8pete See Profile (Ottawa) - SB5101, SB6120 & SB6121
Teddy Boom See Profile (GTA) - SB5101, DCM425, DCM475, DCM476, SB6120 & SB6121
zinc See Profile (Waterloo/Kitchener) - DCM475 & DCM476
--
electronicsguru.ca

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to monsoon66
said by monsoon66:

The technicolor dcm476 has an issue where if you are having DHCP issues you cannot access the diagnostic page.

It is not an issue, it is the nature of TCP/IP networking. All cable modems behave the same way. The modem's internal web server is still running, but the equipment connected to the modem doesn't have the right information to access it.

Set a static IP in your computer, and connect it direct to the modem, and you will get access to the diagnostics pages again. You could set a static IP on most routers too, though I admit I've never tried that
--
electronicsguru.ca

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to arvand007
said by arvand007:

Anyhow, they are swapping my modem and once the new one arrives i will test and see how it goes. For now my neighbor has been nice enough to let me to use his WIFI

Haha, I should have read ahead
--
electronicsguru.ca

arvand007

l4s
And that didnt fix it either. It works for 10 minutes or so then modem goes to infinite recycles and never recovers. I have to unplug the power to make it work. TSI now wants to send technician to take a look and thats going to be 3 days from now. Not acceptable at all.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
said by arvand007:

And that didnt fix it either. It works for 10 minutes or so then modem goes to infinite recycles and never recovers. I have to unplug the power to make it work. TSI now wants to send technician to take a look and thats going to be 3 days from now. Not acceptable at all.

Have you been able to check your RF levels? Can you post a screenshot of them?

The whole thing is very frustrating, to be sure, but the rules that Rogers sets for third party internet access are what they are.

It breaks down like this:
The incorrect firmware was almost certainly never related to actual issues on your service, but Rogers requires correct firmware before they'll look at a problem, and Teksavvy can't do anything about that. At the same time, the firmware you likely had does have known issues, so getting it upgraded is important for service quality as well as satisfying Rogers requirements.

You had a DHCP problem, and it sounds like that has gone away during this process, even though none of what is documented here would have addressed that.

You seem to have an RF problem that needs to be investigated. It could not be investigated until the firmware issue was addressed, so here we are days later..
--
electronicsguru.ca

arvand007

l4s
Click for full size
Indeed it is very frustrating. I wish teksavvy was quicker in responding at least. Their customer service line is horrible. Any how here is a screen shot of my diag page.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
Ya, those look fine.. I mean, Forward Path Power is a little low, but shouldn't be a problem.

Try factory resetting (little button on the back). I know you just hooked it up, but it might help kick it into better behaviour. Otherwise, yes I guess we have to see what the technician can do.
--
electronicsguru.ca

arvand007

l4s
Thanks thats the plan for now but i have a feeling that the tech will come and blames the modem and then back to square one. I have lost my faith

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

Ya, those look fine.. I mean, Forward Path Power is a little low, but shouldn't be a problem.

Try factory resetting (little button on the back). I know you just hooked it up, but it might help kick it into better behaviour. Otherwise, yes I guess we have to see what the technician can do.

A little low? That -11.2 on Channel 2 is probably what's causing the cycling, as well as 3 & 4 so close as well in power. Anything below -11 or above 11 is typically bad news.

There is most likely physical damage on the feed to your home, a technician visit may not be wasted after all. The only time a Rogers tech will say it's the modem is if the DHCP issue is still there, because they know none the better about separate DHCP pools for TPIA providers. They'll plug in their modem that grabs an IP off Rogers' DHCP pool and assume its a modem issue.

If you're getting actual internet connectivity for 10 minutes, then your DHCP issue was fixed and its an RF issue now.

arvand007

l4s
Before all these drama started 3 weeks ago i always had drop connection issue. Through out the day at random moments i would get my connection dropped for 30 sec or so and then resume. It was happening at least 6-7 time a day. Could this be the same issue im experiencing now? Maybe the older modem was able to resume the connection but this new one cant and needs to be restarted?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to TypeS
There are no errors, and the SNR is very good, some people argue that +/-15dB is acceptable. So ya, a little low.

It is inconsistent with the Return Path power though, at 42dB the return path is fairly good. That may be clearer indication of a problem than I was thinking before.. Still, no errors.. If the tech wasn't already on the way (or if the service was more functiona) I'd say we should monitor that for a day or two..
--
electronicsguru.ca

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to arvand007
said by arvand007:

hrough out the day at random moments i would get my connection dropped for 30 sec or so and then resume

That's the classic problem with the 2.08 firmware, so...
--
electronicsguru.ca

arvand007

l4s
said by Teddy Boom:

said by arvand007:

hrough out the day at random moments i would get my connection dropped for 30 sec or so and then resume

That's the classic problem with the 2.08 firmware, so...

ok thanks. So this is a new thing.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
said by arvand007:

So this is a new thing.

Ya, probably. I mean... The problem with the old firmware is worse when the power levels are worse, so there could be some relationship there.

-11dB might be worse than I'm allowing.. The error counts get zeroed when you factory reset, so maybe check the Diagnostics page now.

Most likely the tech will be able to fix this up and you'll be fine, but there is so much going on at this point, deconstructing what's caused your issues is really a mess.
--
electronicsguru.ca