spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Monmonoke

@verizon.net

[Southeast] Very slow Fios upload speed at night and during week

We've had fios for a couple of years. The speed seems to be fine most of the time but for the last couple of weeks it's almost unusable. Download speed test is ok but upload speed is less than 1m and sometimes just times out during the test.

The speed seems to slow down mostly in the evening and during the weekend. Can't upload pictures. Even just browsing webpages gets very slow since page requests go through upload - it took a couple of minutes to open some pages.

VZ sent a new router but didn't fix the issue. Tech replaced the ONT box today but we still got the same speed.

Our contract termed and needs to be renewed. We would like to try a different package with higher speed eventually but giving the current situation, we hesitate to upgrade.

I googled about this and it seems like many people (some on this forum) have the same issue with upload but no solution?

Could someone please help?

monmonoke

join:2013-09-07

Re: [Southeast] Very slow Fios upload speed at night and during

A few updates...

Someone in the same area (Dallas, TX) replied to my post on Verizon's forum saying that he/she's having the same issue.

Our internet speed dropped about the same time last week (Thursday/Friday).

I contacted Verizon again today to upgrade my plan to 50/25 just to test and see if that will fix the upload issue, got around 10m upload when they just upgraded the plan, now is back to under 1m again... download is ok but still took forever to open some pages.

On the phone with tech support now, got put on hold...

For more details: »forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Inter···p/621097

Sjc

@verizon.net

I had similar problem here in NY. After getting new router and ONT finally VZ realized problem outside of my house. Took 2 weeks but they finally replaced "a card" in my CO which fixed problem for me and several other customers. Be persistent and also start thread on VZ direct forum, it helped.
Good luck

monmonoke

1 edit
Thank you Sjc.

We are really frustrated as Verizon sent a second tech guy Tuesday. He spent about 5 minutes in our house, saying one of my neighbors also has the same issue and he's been to her house 3 times already. He said he'll talk to his manager, trying to escalate the issue and will call us back Tuesday or today. Well, he never did.

I got a text yesterday evening saying the ticket was closed. So we chat with online support asking why the ticket was closed when the issue is not solved. We were asked to repeat many of the steps that we've already done many times, run optimizer, reboot router, run multiple speed tests and they reset something on their end...

The online agent was trying to convince us that it's our computer because the RWIN value from the TCP analyst is low. Well, we just don't buy it since we are not the only people that have this issue in the area. Also, we ran the TCP optimizer on all of our computers already.

It's a shame and such a waste of time that the customers have to contact Verizon multiple times, repeat the exact same thing every time and not getting the problem resolved, their only solution seems to be sending out another tech to the house... yes, they are sending another (3rd) tech to our house tomorrow.

Rain7249

join:2008-12-12
Potomac, MD

2 edits
I'd post in the Verizon Direct subforum here. Explain everything. Tell them that it wasn't a problem until recently, and if possible, give them the exact date it started to occur. Also mention that your router & ONT have been replace which didn't change anything (suggesting that the problem is on their end, not yours). Explain every test that you've already done, and your results.

Because your neighbors are experiencing problems as well, the problem is likely a failing device in your CO. What needs to happen is that the problem needs to be escalated to Teir2 support and/or network technicians.

I've had this happen twice now (short 5 min outage and then great download, not-to-bad latency, but terrible upload when it reconnects). The first time I fought with tech support over the phone and in person. Took over a week to get it resolved. The second time I reported it in the Verizon Direct subforum and they had it handed up to Teir2/Network Technicians within 48 hours and the problem was resolved within 3 days. I was very impressed. (Each time it was the PON card I was hooked into in the CO. The first time they just reset it, the second time a few months later they completely replaced the PON card and pulled new fibre from where it enters the building to "my" PON card).

monmonoke

Thank you! It turns out my issue was also due to the PON card.

The 3rd tech they sent was the same guy that came for the 2nd visit. He called yesterday morning to follow up and came yesterday evening. However, speedtest didn't work on his device so he had to come again today and was asked by the Verizon solution center to reboot our router, run multiple speed tests just to prove them that the upload speed is slow even on their device, then they were able to escalate the issue to tier 2.

The tier 2 tech researched it for like 10 minutes and reset the PON card this morning. Ever since then I've been getting the upload speed of around 25 with no issue. However, they said there are still some errors on the PON card that might cause inconsistency so they are going to replace it tonight. Supposedly, there shouldn't be anymore issue tomorrow.

The whole issue took about 2 weeks to get resolved. I wish it was escalated to tier 2 sooner but now I'm just glad that it's finally fixed.

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX
reply to Monmonoke
Sounds like your PON splitter is or was saturated. When they say they "replaced" a PON card that usually means they're setting you up on a new splitter because of saturation.

32 customers per splitter

BPON
622 Mbps down per splitter / 32 customers = 19.4 Mbps per customer
155 Mbps up per splitter / 32 customers = 4.8 Mbps per customer

GPON
2.4 Gbps down per splitter / 32 customers = 75 Mbps per customer
1.2 Gbps up per splitter / 32 customers = 37.5 Mbps per customer

They don't like adding new splitters because most of the time this necessitates adding a new PON card if all the others on the OLT are at capacity.

Just remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House
reply to monmonoke
said by monmonoke:

Thank you! It turns out my issue was also due to the PON card.

The tier 2 tech researched it for like 10 minutes and reset the PON card this morning. Ever since then I've been getting the upload speed of around 25 with no issue. However, they said there are still some errors on the PON card that might cause inconsistency so they are going to replace it tonight. Supposedly, there shouldn't be anymore issue tomorrow.

The whole issue took about 2 weeks to get resolved. I wish it was escalated to tier 2 sooner but now I'm just glad that it's finally fixed.

+1 on frustration.

I've suffered the "bad PON card" issue twice in the past 5 years. Fact of life: equipment occasionally fails, and I'm OK with that.

But my frustration level soars through the roof getting VZ to acknowledge the problem. Field techs are also frustrated, because they have to defer back to FSC techs who suffer remarkable cases of denial. While on the phone with the FSC, the tech plugged his laptop directly into my ONT and got 50-60% packet loss pinging the default gateway. Yet the FSC guy said the problem wasn't on the VZ network. (what???)

After arguing with the FSC tech for some time, the field tech finally gave up and said there's nothing more HE could do because the problem is further up the line. He said it would probably not be fixed until more people in the same area complained of the same problem. He was right. If you can believe it, I got a call from him (!!!) some time later saying a lot of people in the area complained and VZ opened a master ticket to replace the PON card at the CO.

It shouldn't take THAT much effort to get these kinds of problems diagnosed and fixed.

me3jewelsao

@verizon.net
reply to Monmonoke

"VZ sent a new router but didn't fix the issue. Tech replaced the ONT box today but we still got the same speed."

I am having the exact same problem in the Phila area.