how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aight

join:2001-12-18
Lafox, IL

I need your opinion

I had my phone stolen from a bar. The security camera caught the person on tape and the PD was able to identify the individual. Do you guys think I should press charges or should I just worry about getting my phone back?
--
You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'My God, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
If it was me, I'd call my provider, report it stolen and have them add it to the blocklist so it becomes nothing more than a paperweight here in the states.

aight

Lafox, IL
said by djdanska:

If it was me, I'd call my provider, report it stolen and have them add it to the blocklist so it becomes nothing more than a paperweight here in the states.

Been there, done that.
--
You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'My God, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

2 recommendations

reply to aight
I'd press charges.

lev
Smells better here without the monkey
Premium,Ex-mod 2002-08
join:2001-05-30
Chicago, IL
kudos:2
reply to aight
I can't think of a reason not to press charges. Why would you even ask?

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3
reply to aight
Personally, it would depend on a few factors. The type of phone, the location of the hearing, whether it's worth your time to attend the hearing(s), and, were you asking for it by leaving it unattended... although that's no excuse for it to be stolen.

aight

Lafox, IL
reply to lev
said by lev:

I can't think of a reason not to press charges. Why would you even ask?

I don't know the guy personally, but I have seen him before and he has a family. Having him jailed might cause hardship on his family, he might lose his job, etc, etc ,,,,

I know. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime,,,but his family has to suffer because of his desperation.
--

lev
Premium,Ex-mod 2002-08
Chicago, IL
He'll do it again, possibly to someone else whose family might suffer because they're not able to reach mom or dad.

I hear what you're saying; you want to turn the other cheek. That's noble on the one hand, but what about the other times he gets away with it? What about the time he DOESN'T get away with it, and someone kicks his face in?

There's a lot of what-if games you could play, but the bottom line is, stealing is wrong.

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL
reply to aight
So don't be a dick and your family won't suffer. He should feel bad about his family suffering, not you. Do you think he considered or cared what your personal/financial situation was?

jsinaiko
Premium
join:2001-04-25
Chicago, IL
reply to aight
Good points. Is there some other way to make the guy understand what a dick he was other than involving the "system?" If there's some way to get the guy to own up and/or deal with the fact that he committed a crime, then you may not want to press charges. But if there's no other way, have him charged. Some sort of "restorative justice" (look it up - it's a real concept that is being put into action by cops and citizens all over the place) might be in order if possible.
--
Illegitimati non carborundum

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to aight
Hell yes I would.

He's not going to go to jail, unless he's a repeat offender. He'll get probation and maybe community service, and might learn a lesson.

aight

Lafox, IL
reply to aight
Thanks guys, I waiting for the detective to call me back.
I guess what really bothers me is that he was with his boy when he took the phone.

What a great way to teach your kids not to steal.
--

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL
reply to aight
I know people like this. I have one in my family so I have no sympathy. He's probably stealing to make money to hide something from his wife. I guarantee they don't give a f**k about you or whoever they're stealing from. You're a source of income for them, nothing more.

lev
Premium,Ex-mod 2002-08
Chicago, IL
reply to aight
Jehovah's witnesses bring their kids with them to solicit in the expectation that you won't cuss them out in front of the kids. This guy was in a bar with his kid.

I'll say it again. This guy was in a bar with his kid.

Why the hell are we even having this conversation?

jsinaiko
Premium
Chicago, IL
I used to take my kid to my local all the time - never stole anything though and it was during the day for lunch, not drinking. Somehow he managed to became a straight-A student in high school in spite of it. Now, if I had taken him to the bank, well that would have been exposing him to some really bad people.

In a lot of the rest of the world taking your kids to the local pub is something that most people do, so really, this is about stealing, not taking your kid to a bar.
--

aight

Lafox, IL
said by jsinaiko:

I used to take my kid to my local all the time - never stole anything though and it was during the day for lunch, not drinking. Somehow he managed to became a straight-A student in high school in spite of it. Now, if I had taken him to the bank, well that would have been exposing him to some really bad people.

In a lot of the rest of the world taking your kids to the local pub is something that most people do, so really, this is about stealing, not taking your kid to a bar.

Just to clarify, it is a Bar and Grill,,,locals bring their family there to enjoy the thin crust pizza, burgers, etc

I just spoke to the detective handling this case last Friday.
She told me that even though they have a video of the man taking
my phone & they have identified him (meaning they have a name, address, etc), they haven't charged him of any crime? She said,
they are waiting for someone to activate the phone and then they
can pursue it,,, WTF?
--

hambonepat

join:2003-05-06
Chicago, IL
reply to aight
Weird thread, Im sure all posters assumed police asked you if you wanted to press charges. I guess that wasnt the case and it may never be the case. Time to knock on the guys door ask, him if he "accidentally" picked up the wrong phone the other day at the bar and call it a day.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

2 edits
When someone stole my phone in Chicago, the police wanted no part of it. Literally gave me a police report when I called. Didn't even come out.
On a related note, now that at&t and T-Mobile are sharing their blacklisted phones, (rendering it useless on both networks, and they are preparing to share it internationally), we might see less phones getting stolen. Plus if you don't pay off your eip (equipment installment plan) with T-Mobile. It gets blacklisted. (Sometimes months later!)

I know a lot of crooks who would hang around my store near Michigan avenue and do it all day long and sell em)

aight

Lafox, IL

2 edits
reply to aight
OK, so the Detective called me back and said they are bringing the perp in.

She gave me two options:

1) They can ask the guy to reimburse me because he supposedly no longer has the phone (He threw it away, gave it to a friend, sold it, who knows)

2) They can charge him and I believe the charge would be a class 3 felony since it was taken from a person & the value exceeds $500. (I could be wrong on this)

If I were to press charges, I would have to appear in court several times (my own
cost. e.g. lost of wages from work) and the perp is not obligated to reimburse me in
anyway. The detective said that he will more than likely retain a lawyer and if this is
a first time offense, it might drop down to a Class A misdemeanor, they put him
under supervision or community work and in less than 2 years he can have the
whole thing expunge from his records.

Is it me or does the Illinois theft laws favors the criminal?
--

lev
Premium,Ex-mod 2002-08
Chicago, IL

1 edit
Never mind. It'd only be wasted advice anyway.

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL
reply to aight
He'll never pay. Chances are if he had any money, he wouldn't be stealing.
Ultimately you have to do what's right for you. If you can't take the time off, do what you need to do or just let it go. I'm salary so it's an easy decision for me. I get paid anyway.

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3
reply to lev
said by lev:

Just as well. He asked for opinions - not advice.

aight

Lafox, IL
reply to lev
said by lev:

I have read tons of you previous posts here and you are a very smart and reasonable person and I appreciate your advice.

My goal here is to really get my phone back. I'm sure everyone's
financial situation is different. I can't afford not be compensated &
also spend time driving to and from 2600 California ave. and not get paid by my work.
--

lev
Premium,Ex-mod 2002-08
Chicago, IL
Then I'll repeat what I said. If you appreciate the police's position on this, and show a desire for their to be reimbursed for their efforts as well as you for your phone, they very well might be motivated to talk to whoever might be prosecuting to see that an arrangement eventually happens. It costs everyone money to go to court, but if they get him to sign an agreement that this person, over time, pays back both you and the police department (who certainly invested more manpower hours than your phone is worth) OR accepts jail time without a fight if he defaults...

I'm not a lawyer. I do, however, broker deals when called upon. And people will work harder for you if you acknowledge their effort, and that it has value. They'll could tell the people that they work with that you're a good risk for extra effort.

IF such a thing can be done (and it's just one scenario)... if this man accepts an agreement that for him means no court and no immediate risk of jail, and you eventually get repaid, as well as the Police, that's a win for everyone. If such an agreement can be made and he breaks it, there is no trial. He goes to jail.

So then you're not out of work. Try the path of respect first. It can yield surprising results. I've made some of my best contacts, and some pretty good friends that way.

jsinaiko
Premium
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

reply to aight
If this happened outside of Chicago in Cook County chances are you would be going to the Maywood, Skokie, or Harvey (or whichever burb the southern court is in), not 26th and Cal.

It's also the case that if the victim contacts the prosecutors assigned to the case, and shows up in court, it usually affects the way the state pursues the case. I doubt you will get your phone back, but even if they eventually expunge he records, he's never have a first offense again - you only get one first offense. I generally think it's a good idea to follow though one the cops are involved.
--

jsinaiko
Premium
Chicago, IL
reply to lev
Hah! I just said more or less the same thing.
--

lev
Premium,Ex-mod 2002-08
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

Yes, you did, but I said it first. And was enough of a mature gentleman to recommend your post. That's two high quality beers you owe me.

jsinaiko
Premium
Chicago, IL
Fair enough. Two Miller 64s heading your way!

OK, OK, a few micro-brews of your choosing. There are new a couple of breweries near our place in SW Michigan. I'll pick something up and send up to the near NW burbs ASAP!
--

lev
Premium,Ex-mod 2002-08
Chicago, IL
Bah, I'm easy. I'll settle for a single Guinness.

Back to the topic, a shorter way of saying it is probably, "The law helps those who help themselves."

jsinaiko
Premium
Chicago, IL
Exactly. Prosecutors have to deal with victims - plaintiffs, although the actual plaintiffs are the people of the state of Illinois, who are often crooks themselves, or don't show up, or can't get the story straight, or have major substance abuse issues, or are just plain old morons. SO they tend to look at most minor crimes of this sort with a jaundiced eye until the victim shows some commitment to participating and assisting in the process. If you show them you are serious, they'll be serious too.
--