spc
Search similar:

uniqs
SecretAgent
join:2013-09-06

2 edits

SecretAgent

[DSL] someone knowledgeable in dsl wanna help diy manual install

Alrighty ladies and gents here's the story.. I recently subscribed to frontier business dsl 15/2M bonded I'm sure adsl2, might be 2+ but tech I think wanted to initially try it over already installed old cat1... As the story progresses during the install my fears of line quality (and install quality of who did this duplex... you're typical old wiring horror story) came to fruition when an epic amount of line static was discovered. Basically I ended up finding out later that two different runs of wire were twisted midway through the building... and... when I say twisted I mean not twisted. That is if you count half a twist and scotch tape a connection. I wish I was joking.

Anyway, the wire ran through the other side of the duplex which I didnt have access too until later in the day. So frontier tech left me with a generous amount of cat3 (really, thanks dude ha Im a cheep sucker for computer parts) programmed modem, and some form of sheet that just looks like install notes from an internal cms type of system? It was really nice and I appreciate awesome techs out there.

Now heres where we get into my issue. I'm kinda jimmy rigging some wiring to get various network connections across two rooms in the building connected by cat5.

upstairs living room
| |
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
| |
| |
------------------
| |---------------------cat1 to kitchen for normal phone-- -------------
| box o wires |------------------------------------------------------- -----------------
| | cat 3 to street 1pair:(r,g)1 phone line,dsl1 / 1p air:(b,y)dsl2
| |------------------------------------------------------- ----------------
------------------
| |
| |
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
| |
| POTS (1 pair) phone |
| 100base-tx (2 pair) |
| |

Now, I've done several medium size installs before and I've checked all the way out to the street box several times and I'd just be plain floored if theres a problem in the wiring. One thing to note is that all internal phone circuits are not directly connected to the cat3 (r,g). They can be but just incase I would need a filter or some different wiring in the near future regarding internal POTS.

I just started with "now" in that last paragraph because I have to admit it wasn't initially that way. Before I has accidentally crossed over the b, y with the brown pair I was using on the cat5 end. So... being extremely tired after a long day of work I had just reset all the programmed settings in the modem instead of checking my end first. Because after all, every good engineer / programmer knows it couldn't possibly be their work :p

Well great, now I've been sitting here super stoaked to use my new interwebs and I can't :(

Now that I've rambled on about my internet connecting saga lemme give a status on my headway!

1.) I've gotten the modem to get a dsl "link"!
-Just chatting with the tech during the install I learned our town (Kearney, NE) actually has some limited vdsl deployed. On the install sheet I have it says both dslam card types are vdsl2 but I couldn't get that to work..I have high doubts I have that setup because 15/2... pretty sure bonded adsl can even handle that.

-bonded adsl, adsl2, and adsl2+ connections seem to "link" up. Using 0/35 vpi/vci as thats what I have for another connection in town on a network I admin. Its an old single line adsl connection though so don't know enough dsl goodness to know how well that may translate.

2.) auth doesn't seem to work :(
-have been trying using PPPoE with both usr/passwd schemes "user, password" "user@frontier.com, password". I have a static ip. I've tried both having a the ip dynamically assigned and specifying it. Oh ya, also tried oA

3.) Ok, however... it may not be auth, and this is where my relative knowledge starts to wain.
-So finally wised up and tried ssh, telneting the modem. Got a telnet (gotta say I love the exit message. Something like have a nice day) and started poking around. It looks unixy which excited me hell of a lot.

Overall conclusion... here's where it comes to a head for me. ifconfig on the atm0 device I always see it transmitting but not receiving anything. I hope that the fact that the lights, gui, and "adsl info --show" all seem to indicate that I have some form of a link with the dslam that I'm golden on wiring. Speed on connection two might show a bit slower than it says in the install sheet but thats not a worry at the moment ha. Is it maybe that the network is routed instead of bridged-PPPoE? I've tried messing with that idea to no avail (and would be stoaked even more so if that was the case). Not knowing very much atm tech could it be that the network uses different channels for different segments of town? Perhaps even different virtual paths? Maybe because its bonded? Idk I'm just talking out of my ass at this point so apologies haha, please point out if I misunderstand concepts or something like that too. I came here instead of calling because I love figuring things out to be quite frank.

Simply put, anyone willing to help me with a slightly more technical question? It'd be much appreciated! :D

Thanks!
atigerman
join:2002-01-19
Tigerton, WI

atigerman

Re: [DSL] someone knowledgeable in dsl wanna help diy manual ins

I by far am no expert, but let me ask you a few questions to get the ball rolling.

What make/model of modem/router do you have. And what is the color and how many lights do you have lite up on it?
SecretAgent

SecretAgent

Oh, ha I'm sorry. I can't believed I forgot that bit of info. Its an Actiontec FV2200. 2dsl conn lights are up and interwebs light down (not lit). The modem indicates from what I can tell I've got layer 1 up, layer 2 somewhere in the atm maybe vpi/vci or PPP is where I believe the issue stems.

Frontier Com
@50.121.70.x

Frontier Com

Anon

Hi,
My name is Andrew, and I am a lead technician here at Frontier Communications. The issue your stating leads me to believe there may be a problem with line or possibly an issue with the card at our central office. We will have to perform some live troubleshooting to determine the problem.

In order to better serve you, and solve your problem as quickly as
possible, it would be helpful to verify a few things with you over the
phone or via a live chat session. Please contact our Technical Support
Department at your earliest convenience using one of the methods below.
We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Phone: 800-239-4430
Chat: »www.frontierhelp.com/liv ··· chat.cfm

Sincerely,
Andrew H
SecretAgent

SecretAgent

Rad, thanks Andrew! I'll have to hit you guys up when I'm off work today.
SecretAgent

SecretAgent

So... update because why not.. Called the number Mr. Andrew recommended. Gotta say I expected more technical expertise but alas I called after 5pm edt. Which, hey I completely understand and the guy was nice as hell so no complaints there. one funny thing... so the tech guy was like, "lets try one more trick up our sleeve" and had me go through the 30sec reboot routine, which hey, completely valid last try. But then had me ping abc.com. I've got a couple interweb connections coming to my house so.. of course it worked. Thus I said, "Imma telnet into the modem and try it there, after all I remember seeing a ping command there" so I did, ran the ping, and told him it was still dead. I then get asked, "can you try and ping the modem itself". Ya... lemme do that after I telnet into it.

But all in all the guy was great taking into account the network technicians were probs out. Got someone looking into it apparently tomorrow at the latest 6pm. Guess I've gotta make sure I make it home by 4.

Hopefully tomorrow I get this sorted out, ended up making sure my settings were solid inline with frontiers which is nice but still getting to RX packets over atm0 . Working in tech I've gotta say I get there's a lotta bs that exists in trying to get technology to work properly. Given everything, I've also gotta give frontier a thumbs up for being laid back enough to talk and do business with. Like I said, hopefully I get this all sorted out tomorrow and I can get on my way with new interwebs connection.