spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BobbyD

@bell.ca

[Internet] Fibe - Problems with wifi range and drop outs

I have had fibe installed since April and have had nothing but problems with the wifi. The first thing I noticed when we started using it was the poor range. If you move any further than 5 meters the signal drops completely. Its located next to the TV in the living room, without any obstructions. I bought a wifi extender and that didn't help at all. I suppose that was because the original wifi signal from the Bell router is so poor.
Today I decided to buy a Belkin Wireless router - set it as an access point and turned off the bell wireless. Immediately I noticed an improvement in wifi speed, but as I moved about 10 meters away there was no signal. Frustration again!
The other problem we have had with the bell router is continuous drop outs even when we are just 2 meters away, which is rubbish for netflix and other video streaming. We have a couple of laptops, smart phones and a tablet and all are useless when we move away from the router.
Bell have checked the router and all the settings are fine. I believe its Bell's fibe router that is rubbish, but they dont have an alternative product. Unless I pay a huge get out of contract fee.. I'm stuck with the current poor wifi.

Does anyone have any ideas as my family want to use all their gadgets throughout the house but its currently not possible :-(

Thanks,

Darren

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3

Get yourself a router and bridge the Bell device.

btech805

join:2013-08-01
Greely, ON
kudos:11
reply to BobbyD

Is this happening on more than one device? Ive never seen any case where people lose their wifi signal just 15 feet away. What kind of device are you using? I got a feeling it's whatever devices you're using. Keep in mind asus netbooks are known to have awful wifi speeds and ability to pick up wireless signal, as are some of the cheaper android tablets and "non-flagship" android cell phones ie not the galaxy, xpheria, etc.

My honest advice would be to buy a wireless n usb adapter and plug it into your laptop (these are less than 50 bucks and usually closer to 30) and see if that fixes the problem. Use the sagecom wireless and not your router when trying this and see how that goes.

If this doesn't solve the problem log into the modem ip and change the channel it is operating at until you get more range, but this comes at a sacrifice of speed, so do this ONLY if the usb adapter doesn't work.

Lastly and this may sound crazy but if you have a cordless phone near the modem or in the house for that matter, unplug it completely (ppowr supply, phone cord and all) and see if that improves your range, if it does, time to go buy a new phone as it's cordless transmitter runs in the same frequency band as wifi and if it's defective it'll interfere.

Hope these help!

hlo207

join:2012-11-16
North York, ON
kudos:1
reply to BobbyD

Since you said the gateway is right next to the TV, could it be interference? Is the problem worse when the TV is on?

BobbyD

@bell.ca

Thank you to everyone who has responded, I will try and answer each question -

'Get yourself a router and bridge the Bell device' I thought my new wireless router acting as an access point would work all around the house? Is there something else I can try?

Its happening on all our devices - we have brand new Dell and HP Laptops, Nexus Phones and a Nexus 7 tablet. All drop out and have very limited range from Bells' wireless router.

We have already changed the channel on the router and made sure the power is 100%

No cordless phones

The Bell router has to be by the TV as we have fibe, which is where the TV is connected to the router.

I just cant understand why there is such limited range, especially when Bell said connecting another wireless router should solve the problem, and the guy on the phone said he did that himself and he has a signal all around his house.

Perhaps time to get an engineer around?

Thanks

komi

join:2011-07-08
North York, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe

"The Bell router has to be by the TV as we have fibe, which is where the TV is connected to the router"

Not true. My router is 15 ft away from TV set/PVR.
I have not a single problem with WiFi range provided by Sagemcom, comparable with my Asus RT-N56U range (used with Teksavvy service) and I'm using Dell and Acer laptops and two iPhones. I get 3 bars out of 5 in the backyard-30, 40 feet away and a few walls in between. May be you should ask for another modem/router and change its location, far away from TV set.

btech805

Greely, ON
reply to BobbyD

Im starting to think its what hlo is saying and the tv is interfering, can you give up the tv for a few mins and unplug the sagecom from where it is and plug it in directly to the pots splitter in the basement where it says "MODEM" and wait for it to sync up and see if you can get signal further away, if so then youre tv is interfering and you can either get a new tv or run an ethernet cord back to the modem in the basement to plug in your reciver. The modem does not have to be beside your tv, but if it's your equipment causing the problem then try avoiding the charges bell will hit you with and run the ethernet yourself and if you screw up then us techs are just a call away haha

btech805

Greely, ON
reply to BobbyD

Also is the modem broadcasting on 5ghz or 2.4? Try changing it to the opposite of whatever it's on now. Something is interfering in whatever channel its running on

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by btech805:

Also is the modem broadcasting on 5ghz or 2.4? Try changing it to the opposite of whatever it's on now. Something is interfering in whatever channel its running on

The Sagemcom Connection Hub can only broadcast 2.4GHz, however changing the channel should help with the the interference.
--
Opinions expressed are my own, and may or may not reflect those of my employers or any other BCE company or division.

btech805

Greely, ON

I thought it did 5ghz aas well?

hlo207

join:2012-11-16
North York, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe

1 edit
reply to BobbyD

said by Anon80:

The Bell router has to be by the TV as we have fibe, which is where the TV is connected to the router.

This is not true unless you don't want any extra wiring. I asked the tech who installed my FTTH last week about this. Fibre entered in basement. The outdoor rated Cat5e came back out of the house, around and up to the 2nd floor computer room where my Sagemcom and all its predecessors sit. If I decide to subscribe Fibe TV there is no issue wherever I decide to put the whole home PVR. If I choose the family room. Either the tech can connect Sagemcom to the coaxial plug in the computer room and join the line to the coaxial in the family room in the basement electrical room. If I want to keep Rogers running or no coaxial in that room; the tech can run an outdoor rated Cat5e on the outside wall to the family room for the PVR. Whichever I want he can do it as part of the Fibe TV install.