spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mythanar

@comcast.net

[IPv6] Kudos for perfectly seamless ipv6 transition!

I am an ipv6 enthusiast. So, there was I, patiently twiddling my fingers until comcast6.net announces availability of ipv6 in my area (PNW/Seattle), so I can enthusiastically dive in and configure my router/server/dhcp for prefix delegation, disable tunnels, fix issues, the whole geeky ten yards of ensuring things a) state of the art, and b) actually work.

While actually lazingly checking comcast6.net every now an then, I've noticed this:
Your IP address is 2601:8:*
Congrats! You are using IPv6 on the Comcast Cable network.

Hmm. I thought. I did not actually configure anything yet. Looked local interface addresses. Correct ipv6. Looked at router configuration. Correct ipv6. Looked at traceroutes. Great and do work. Making this happening without my knowledge much less intervention is mightily impressive.

Flawless. Huge kudos to the ipv6 team at Comcast.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
I agree. I didn't know I had IPv6 until I looked at the Comcast6 page My router also picked things up flawlessly. My devices don't know the difference and work perfectly.

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY
reply to Mythanar
Wish we had native IPv6 in NY :-(

JoeHemi

join:2011-05-06
Bellevue, WA
reply to Mythanar
Well, if you are out of the Seattle headend, it wasn't completely flawless as we had some scope issues causing modems to only accept ipv6 traffic but that was fixed promptly and everything was completed successfully from start to finish in three days. So we're pretty happy about that. Glad to know you're happy with it!

Mythanar

@comcast.net
I am on the eastside (Sammamish), so maybe it did not affect me. According to modem logs, last noteworthy event happened around Aug 20; this makes ipv6 being active for 2 weeks while working trouble-free enough for me to not even notice it was there.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:79
reply to Mythanar
said by Anon80:

Flawless. Huge kudos to the ipv6 team at Comcast.

SWEET... That is what I love to hear.. I will pass this on to the Comcast IPv6 team along with the Market, we need to hear about things like this
--
Comcaster.. IPv6 Network Engineer with NETO

JoeHemi

join:2011-05-06
Bellevue, WA
reply to Mythanar
Sammamish is out of Bellevue's headend and everything was smooth there.

goblin_king

@comcast.net
reply to NetDog
I'm in Northern Virginia and I believe we have ipv6 here now...As a technological naive person what exactly does this mean...is there any settings I should tweak now like OP was saying to get better internet?

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:79
said by Anon80:

I'm in Northern Virginia and I believe we have ipv6 here now...As a technological naive person what exactly does this mean...is there any settings I should tweak now like OP was saying to get better internet?

First goto »www.comcast6.net, if it says your CMTS is ready you will need to check your cable modem and router for support.
--
Comcaster.. Network Engineer with NETO

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8

1 edit
reply to Mythanar
Well for the first time ever I am using IPv6 lol

All I had to do was select "Auto Detect" in my Netgear 6300V2 router IPV6 settings page. I have run lot of tests and everyone says I am using IPV6. I did not realize it would be this easy to enable it.

Here is a CNN IPv6 web site
»ipv6.cnn.com/

test sites
»test-ipv6.com/
»ipv6-test.com/

As I understand it your browser will automatically open any IPV6 web sites you may run into along with IPv4 sites.

System
reply to Mythanar

(topic move) [Connectivity] Modem frequently desyncs

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 3 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[Connectivity] Modem frequently desyncs