Search similar:

uniqs

goblin_king
@comcast.net

2 edits

goblin_king

Anon

[Comcast Equip] Question about Anyroom DVR and MoCA/Networking

Not sure if I should of posted this in here or the Comcast HSI forum so forgive me

I am technically naive, but to my understanding since I have the anyroom dvr installed now the way the boxes communicate with each other so you can watch something recorded in another room is through MoCA, correct?...To my understanding MoCA can transfer home network acting as ethernet via adapters and such...So my question is why can't I just plug in an ethernet cord from my box into my laptop to get internet?....Is this not possible or is Comcast just blocking the ethernet port from doing that for some reason?

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

Re: Question about Anyroom DVR and MoCA/Networking

The ethernet port is for service only. It's not an HSI modem. Yes, MoCA can be used for home networking, but not in conjunction with AnyroomDVR service, the signals would conflict. Some boxes do have modems in them, that could be used for guide data, but most are not used (outside of X1). So you can't plug a cord in to the port and your laptop to get internet access. That's what your modem is for.

goblin_king
@comcast.net

goblin_king

Anon

Let me try and to more clear...Right now my modem and wireless router are right next to my anyroom dvr in my living room...So my dream setup would be to plug in an ethernet cord from one of the lan ports of the router into the ethernet port on the main DVR...then at each additional cable box around the house I could plug an ethernet cord from the box into a laptop/smart tv or what have you and have internet access...this way you get hardwired internet throughout the house wherever a cable box is instead of using wireless or having to string Cat5e cables around the house

Is this a feasible reality in the future at any point, it seems like a no brainer to me or is my idea just unworkable as someone who is technologically naive?

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

No, it's not in the foreseeable future. The boxes just are not set up for that. The modem in them is for internal use as they are currently set via firmware.

Comcast provisions internet access per "modem", so you would have one subscription per modem, or per box in your case scenario, costing a lot of $ each month.
obckilroy
join:2011-11-16

obckilroy to goblin_king

to goblin_king
You can look into MoCA ethernet bridges, which would use existing coax in the house, but I think you would need an adapter at every point you want internet access

goblin_king
@comcast.net

goblin_king

Anon

@obckilroy...That's kind of my question, is can the cable boxes act as ethernet bridges if Comcast made the ethernet port "hot"...or are the boxes just not set up that way?
obckilroy
join:2011-11-16

obckilroy

No clue, but I doubt it. That seems too user friendly for a cable co!