All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

jackvcvr
@shawcable.net

jackvcvr

Anon

[BC] 2Mbps down during Peak hours on BB50 (Burnaby)

Recently, peak hour speeds have slowed considerably most likely due to heavy use from Shaw Go WiFi users in our area also using the same node that we're on. The slowest Speedtest I got was this:

Notice how my upload is at max, so it's fine. This is unacceptable peak hour congestion. My 3G is faster than this.

Any plans for splitting people off to a new node? It would even out the load, since I rarely hit 50mbps anymore. Streaming video is impossible to watch without buffering now.
Jedarius
join:2003-06-23
Burnaby, BC

Jedarius

I'm also in Burnaby, having the same issue here...poor download speeds and can't stream videos anymore without hiccups/stuttering/buffering. I'm on the 100 Mbps plan and I never get over 10 Mbps any more. My speed hovers around 3-5 Mbps during peak hours. Upload speed seem to be fine, but these download speeds I'm getting are not even 1/10th of what I'm supposed to be seeing.

I called the Shaw technical support and they say things look good on their end; however they will escalate this to see what's going on. I'm wondering if it's just us or is any one else around the Burnaby area getting this as well?

Here are some speed test results:

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 50291063

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 50292293

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 50293088

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 50300193

jackvcvr
@shawcable.net

jackvcvr

Anon

Just did another speedtest at 3:30AM (lowest usage hours) and my speed is back to 35Mbps. Not quite 50Mbps, but it shows the dramatic difference between daytime usage vs night owl usage.

MerinX
Crunching for Cures
Premium Member
join:2011-02-03

MerinX to jackvcvr

Premium Member

to jackvcvr
Switch to Telus IMO you can max out your speed any time of the day. I tend to get about 58megs on my telus 50 plan with torrents.

This is with u torrent running in background.

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

jtl999 to jackvcvr

to jackvcvr
And I think my 30-45mbps is slow in whiterock.

Wow.
18286719 (banned)
join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

2 edits

18286719 (banned)

yes congestion happens fast when your the only internet provider that can give 100 down..... obviously the demand for good internet is higher then shaw can keep up with, hence prices constantly rising, thats how supply/demand works

unlike most people, i called shaw and made i was not on a congested node before i signed up, and if my node gets congested, i will switch back to telus immediately untill shaw fixes it, here is my shaw

jackvcvr
@shawcable.net

jackvcvr to MerinX

Anon

to MerinX
said by MerinX:

Switch to Telus IMO you can max out your speed any time of the day. I tend to get about 58megs on my telus 50 plan with torrents.

Yes, but we're in an apartment that likely does not support the dual phone line 50/10 service.

As an earlier poster pointed out, Burnaby's node is suffering quite a hit right now. If I were to switch to Telus, we don't have the capability of a dual line phone system in our building.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

telus can get people the 50/10 other ways then dual phone lines, you can qualify on a single line or u could be lucky enough to get a fiber optic ont, look into it if your shaw node is congested, and if your shaw is that bad i would also be considering the telus 25 as an option

jackvcvr
@shawcable.net

jackvcvr

Anon

This is ridiculous... less than 1mbps down at 9:30PM...

Very tempted to switch to Telus now.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

do it, i cant understand why you would even consider staying with shaw, the 25 or 50 is most likely available at your location
Jedarius
Burnaby, BC

Jedarius

I have a tech support coming over this saturday to check things out.

When I call Shaw they tell me to use speedtest.shaw.ca which shows that I get around 90Mbps, but in reality speedtest.net shows 3-10Mbps only. This 'actual speed' is reinforced by stuttering on video sites, downloads and page loads being extremely slow. I really do not trust Shaw's speedtest anymore.

My question is, if I am paying for the 100Mbps plan, what should I be getting from speedtest.net? Connor, it seems like you're able to to get those kinds of speed.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Ususally 70% minimum is considered acceptable.

Expect 80%
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned) to Jedarius

to Jedarius
i think you need to change the server your testing on if your saying you get full speed on shaws speedtest, i highly recomend on speedtest.net holding the mouse over vancouver and using skyway west business as your testing server, if you cant get better speeds on that i dont know what to say
Name3
join:2013-05-28

Name3 to jackvcvr

to jackvcvr
I can attest to Shaw's speedtest (»speedtest.shaw.ca) showing reasonably correct values. When my internet is crap, Shaw's speedtest reflects that; 109ms, 2.04Mbps down, 1.9Mbps up as of right now (12.25% of plan's download bandwidth).
rotohoto
join:2012-03-31
canada

rotohoto to Jedarius

to Jedarius
said by Jedarius:

When I call Shaw they tell me to use speedtest.shaw.ca which shows that I get around 90Mbps, but in reality speedtest.net shows 3-10Mbps only.

If Shaw's speedtest consistently shows 90+, and *ALL* of your local speedtest.net servers show less than 10, you'll probably need to keep calling them back and bugging them until they escalate it.

Obviously not node congestion, but that can suggest a problem elsewhere in their network. Similar thing happened to me last year for a few weeks.
apanihi1
join:2012-03-16
Los Angeles, CA

apanihi1

You know what they told me when I called? That it's like buying a car the speedometer can read 200MPH but it doesn't mean you're going to hit that speed at all.

This is their excuse and as long as it "checks out fine" on their shaw speed test you're good to go.

In reality I can never hit full speeds of 20Mbps on my downloads and torrents are always throttled at half speed around 10Mbps.

I want to switch to Telus now I think. I'm tired of throttling/slowness and overall crap speeds.
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by apanihi1:

You know what they told me when I called? That it's like buying a car the speedometer can read 200MPH but it doesn't mean you're going to hit that speed at all.

This is their excuse and as long as it "checks out fine" on their shaw speed test you're good to go.

In reality I can never hit full speeds of 20Mbps on my downloads and torrents are always throttled at half speed around 10Mbps.

I want to switch to Telus now I think. I'm tired of throttling/slowness and overall crap speeds.

See my response in the other thread

bucko2012
@telus.com

bucko2012 to apanihi1

Anon

to apanihi1
Do it and you will not regret it. Their speeds are consistent just like sasktel in my province as telus are the same thing regards to consistent speeds.
Jedarius
Burnaby, BC

2 edits

Jedarius to rotohoto

to rotohoto
said by rotohoto:

said by Jedarius:

When I call Shaw they tell me to use speedtest.shaw.ca which shows that I get around 90Mbps, but in reality speedtest.net shows 3-10Mbps only.

If Shaw's speedtest consistently shows 90+, and *ALL* of your local speedtest.net servers show less than 10, you'll probably need to keep calling them back and bugging them until they escalate it.

Obviously not node congestion, but that can suggest a problem elsewhere in their network. Similar thing happened to me last year for a few weeks.

This is exactly it, I used different speedtest.net servers in Vancouver/Burnaby. Even tried a few in Seattle...I NEVER get above 10 Mbps during peak hours. Off peak hours I get to 15-20 Mbps. This is on a 100 Mbps plan.

I usually don't put any thought into speedtests in general, but when my web-browsing/streaming experience starts to suffer...I get a little annoyed.
rotohoto
join:2012-03-31
canada

rotohoto

said by Jedarius:

This is exactly it, I used different speedtest.net servers in Vancouver/Burnaby. Even tried a few in Seattle...I NEVER get above 10 Mbps during peak hours. Off peak hours I get to 15-20 Mbps. This is on a 100 Mbps plan.

I usually don't put any thought into speedtests in general, but when my web-browsing/streaming experience starts to suffer...I get a little annoyed.

If that's the case, I would suggest getting some data together and PM'ing one of the Shaw guys on here about it. Get numbers for 5 or 6 speedtest.net sites when you see slow speeds, and then record numbers after hours, or whenever you get good speeds... making sure to note the time. Also record results for the Shaw test at the same times.

It should be pretty easy for them to look at that and immediately recognize an issue. That's more or less what I had to do when I was having this problem last year.

Unfortunately a lot of people working in call centres don't have a great understanding of what they're dealing with, so when faced with information they don't understand they'll just keep parroting what it says in their script.
Gan3f
join:2003-07-10
Westbank, BC

Gan3f to jackvcvr

to jackvcvr
Yup my node was not congested for almost year and all of a sudden i hit 4-15mbps from 10am till 12am on a bb50 connection. Called and all they tell me is yes your node is congested and it will take a few months to fix. So either i deal with a shit connection or switch to telus.. Telus is looking pretty good right about now.

bucko2012
@sasknet.sk.ca

bucko2012

Anon

hello

i just switch to telus do it please do it. you be more happier with them and they have great deals on their optik tv and optik 50. you will not have regrets.

Bucko2013
@rogers.com

Bucko2013

Anon

Telus employee much?
No one begs for oversea call centre service like that.

bucko2012
@telus.com

bucko2012

Anon

If you talking bout me. No I'm not. IF I was I would def switch everyone. Lol Thanks for pointing that out. But not trying to be. I'm not like that.