Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

Tweak Test II

I am trying to run the tweak test since I am now on cable. Previously I was on DSL and could run the test anytime with no changes to or the OS, AV, or Firewall.

Now on cable - I can click on Start --> it reports downloading file --> then nothing. The results button never gets active and the test window never reports it is done. I have turned off the firewall, I have opened the firewall up (disabled), and Disabled realtime protection on the AV with no changes to the results.

In short - on DSL could run Tweak anytime with zero issues, get cable (it is the only difference) and can't. No idea what I can check in the cable modem (it is mine - Motorola SB6141) to see if it is the issue.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
not sure maybe an mtu issue try setting a lower mtu and see if it completes?

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
Thanks Justin - that did it. Changed it to 1492 and it completed.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
its kind of interesting that a TCP download (which is what it is) wouldn't complete in total. I wonder if it is a peculiar issue with just the tweak tester or you'd actually notice issues elsewhere.

dwlamborg

join:2000-09-27
Kansas City, MO
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
Click for full size
Useless Tweak Tester
Given that the "Tweak Tester" apparently is no longer a functional tool since it persistently displays the same invalid and thereby useless information, it seems logical to me that it should simply be permanently removed from the "Tools" page. Just a thought as well as a suggestion.......

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet

1 recommendation

In the good old days someone would have posted "the tweak tester is not working" (which is actually easier and faster to post).

The results directory hit a limit for the maximum number of files any one directory can store and the tool partially failed giving the results you screenshot above. Who knew that ext3 has a maximum number of 32000 subdirectories, not me.

Try it again, if you have the patience.

dwlamborg

join:2000-09-27
Kansas City, MO
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
Justin,
Many thanks for the update, details and clarification re: the Tweak Tester. It's up and running properly again.

There are many of us old f@rts still using older operating systems and "ancient" browsers who find the Tweak Tester an invaluable tool.

Patience? - - not a problem for us old geezers. *grin*

Thanks again,
DWL