share rss forum feed

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Riddick

Who saw this? Thought it was amazing. A return to the roots of what makes this series great.

lotusracer
Premium
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL
going to see it this week sometime, perhaps Tuesday

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to Krisnatharok
I thought is was good. Not as great as the original, but it was ok.

I thought the CGI in some spots was weak, though the dog was a nice "emotional" touch.

Add to that the boobies.

Though, they weren't required.

I think I am one of the rare few that actually enjoyed Chronicles, and I wish they had filmed the second part of that where he was suppose to go to the under verse.
But still, at least they explained how he ended up where he ended up.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

If I would have to guess, I would think the Underverse is waiting for him when he finds what's left of Furya.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
said by Krisnatharok:

If I would have to guess, I would think the Underverse is waiting for him when he finds what's left of Furya.

Furya = Alderan = Brunnis (Lexx) Same Difference?
--

!- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -!
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = @TwiztedZero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
reply to Snakeoil
Chronicles wasn't bad, but it was shit compared to the original.
The original was awesome. And Radha Mitchell.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
Correct. Chronicles tried to turn an action movie into a Tudors/Game of Thrones drama piece. And it failed.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to Rook008
I love me some Radha Mitchell. Back then I really liked Claidia Black too,....

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
reply to Krisnatharok
Only die hard Riddick fans could like this thing..........cause it was bad.

5/10
--
Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

I thought is was good. Not as great as the original, but it was ok.

I thought the CGI in some spots was weak, though the dog was a nice "emotional" touch.

Add to that the boobies.

Though, they weren't required.

Katee Sackhoff boobies or someone else? It matters.
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
Both. Though they may have used a stand in for Katee.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

5/10

lol, ok
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

SRFireside

join:2001-01-19
Houston, TX
reply to Krisnatharok
Riddick was better than expected. I liked how it connected with Pitch Black and tied things off rather nicely. Makes that film not so alone in the Riddick franchise. It was interesting how you get to see Riddick in a vulnerable state, yet still survive. The rival bounty hunter groups didn't hurt the dynamic either. Riddick feels more like a hybrid of PB and CoR, with a lot more PB attitude.

I think some of you need to get over the fact that you will not get Pitch Black a second time. It's one experience and it can't, and shouldn't, be repeated. Enjoy that you got your lightning in a bottle and move on. If they did go all out to replicate PB it would fail miserably (remember Lone Ranger's attempt to replicate the formula from Pirates of the Caribbean?). All that rage against all Riddick things "not Pitch Black" sours your taste for any kind of change. Character and story development aren't a bad thing. A change of pace and scenery are not a bad thing.

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

5/10

It was absolutely terrible according to EVERYONE whose opinions I know and trust.

I'm waiting for it to hit the video store.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

2 edits
reply to SRFireside
I actually thought Riddick was a good rhyme of PB, without trying to replicate it. Especially after CoR, #3 was a very refreshing change in artistic style. Who is raging that it wasn't an identical copy of PB?

Edit: I should add that I favored PB over CoR because it was a more balanced presentation of the protagonist. A lot like you saw in Riddick, he isn't invulnerable, and had to alter his strategies to take into account the strengths of his enemies. CoR was an awkward mashup of invincible badass vs. world enders--not as believable of story.

So I hail Riddick as a return to the roots of what made the first movie great, and avoiding most of what turned us off from CoR--there's more influences from Firefly and less from War of the Worlds. The scope of the story was limited to a realistic goal (escaping a harsh planet) vs. destroying an entire race of undead crusading badasses.

I'm not sure if you are reading rage into my comments where I intended none, or I just worded poorly my initial praise of Riddick. I liked it because it had more in common with PB than with CoR--that doesn't mean I am pissed I didn't get PB2. It was a worthy scifi summer flick, and I enjoyed my two hours in the theater.

BSG it is not, but that doesn't mean every scifi story has to be on that level for it to be enjoyed. Neither was it as cheesy as Defiance.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 recommendations

reply to Krisnatharok
I saw it last night at local dollar theatre.

It started kind of slow, but it picked up and finished well.

I don't think it was as good as Pitch Black, but it was still entertaining.

Also, It seemed the only reason to show Katee's boobies was as a set-up for a joke later in the movie.

But, I'll take any reason for onscreen boobage especially in order to finally get a gander at Starbuck's rack.
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill