uniqs

BobbyD
@bell.ca

BobbyD to hlo207

Anon

to hlo207

Re: [Internet] Fibe - Problems with wifi range and drop outs

Thank you to everyone who has responded, I will try and answer each question -

'Get yourself a router and bridge the Bell device' I thought my new wireless router acting as an access point would work all around the house? Is there something else I can try?

Its happening on all our devices - we have brand new Dell and HP Laptops, Nexus Phones and a Nexus 7 tablet. All drop out and have very limited range from Bells' wireless router.

We have already changed the channel on the router and made sure the power is 100%

No cordless phones

The Bell router has to be by the TV as we have fibe, which is where the TV is connected to the router.

I just cant understand why there is such limited range, especially when Bell said connecting another wireless router should solve the problem, and the guy on the phone said he did that himself and he has a signal all around his house.

Perhaps time to get an engineer around?

Thanks
komi
join:2011-07-08
North York, ON

komi

"The Bell router has to be by the TV as we have fibe, which is where the TV is connected to the router"

Not true. My router is 15 ft away from TV set/PVR.
I have not a single problem with WiFi range provided by Sagemcom, comparable with my Asus RT-N56U range (used with Teksavvy service) and I'm using Dell and Acer laptops and two iPhones. I get 3 bars out of 5 in the backyard-30, 40 feet away and a few walls in between. May be you should ask for another modem/router and change its location, far away from TV set.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to BobbyD

to BobbyD
Im starting to think its what hlo is saying and the tv is interfering, can you give up the tv for a few mins and unplug the sagecom from where it is and plug it in directly to the pots splitter in the basement where it says "MODEM" and wait for it to sync up and see if you can get signal further away, if so then youre tv is interfering and you can either get a new tv or run an ethernet cord back to the modem in the basement to plug in your reciver. The modem does not have to be beside your tv, but if it's your equipment causing the problem then try avoiding the charges bell will hit you with and run the ethernet yourself and if you screw up then us techs are just a call away haha
btech805

btech805 to BobbyD

to BobbyD
Also is the modem broadcasting on 5ghz or 2.4? Try changing it to the opposite of whatever it's on now. Something is interfering in whatever channel its running on

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by btech805:

Also is the modem broadcasting on 5ghz or 2.4? Try changing it to the opposite of whatever it's on now. Something is interfering in whatever channel its running on

The Sagemcom Connection Hub can only broadcast 2.4GHz, however changing the channel should help with the the interference.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805

I thought it did 5ghz aas well?

hlo207
join:2012-11-16
North York, ON

1 edit

hlo207 to BobbyD

to BobbyD
said by Anon80:

The Bell router has to be by the TV as we have fibe, which is where the TV is connected to the router.

This is not true unless you don't want any extra wiring. I asked the tech who installed my FTTH last week about this. Fibre entered in basement. The outdoor rated Cat5e came back out of the house, around and up to the 2nd floor computer room where my Sagemcom and all its predecessors sit. If I decide to subscribe Fibe TV there is no issue wherever I decide to put the whole home PVR. If I choose the family room. Either the tech can connect Sagemcom to the coaxial plug in the computer room and join the line to the coaxial in the family room in the basement electrical room. If I want to keep Rogers running or no coaxial in that room; the tech can run an outdoor rated Cat5e on the outside wall to the family room for the PVR. Whichever I want he can do it as part of the Fibe TV install.