Search similar:

uniqs
yozh1
join:2005-07-27
Valley Stream, NY

yozh1

New FIOS install need to add my firewall

Hello,

I have been reading the FAQs and different user router options and drawbacks etc...

I`m still a little confused on which option I should use.

I had FIOS installed friday and from ONT I have COAX running to the action tech. I have triple play service with 75/35 and mDVR.

I have a pretty extensive home lab with a dual vm Astaro firewall (redundant pair) which basically works same as a router, WAN/LAN interfaces.

I would like to make sure that VOD, Guide, CID and mDVR are working (remote DVR is not a crucial feature for me).

My firewall needs to have a public IP (DHCP is ok). I have no issues adding another router if I have to, but I would like to avoid that. I can run another CAT 5 from the ONT if needed.

I was thinking of using the bridge mode, and connect back to the internet port of the actiontec router (rev. I btw), but there seems to be issues with that ?

Can some one please let me know whats my best option and which way to setup ?

Thank you guys in advance.
buckweet1980
join:2011-12-31
Saint Petersburg, FL

buckweet1980

I have my pfSense machine connected to the ethernet port on the ONT. Then the Actiontec WAN interface is attached to my LAN. I have no issues using the DVR, the guide, vod and such work.

All you need to do is call verizon and tell them to switch it from coax to ethernet for internet services and then you can attach your firewall(s) as normal.
yozh1
Valley Stream, NY

yozh1

Simple as that ? Why is there so many guides with stuff not working ? Do you need to open ports on you firewall ? Does the caller ID feature work ?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to yozh1

MVM

to yozh1
The double bridge configuration is rather fragile, and I do not recommend it. i.e. it will not survive a reboot of the router.

If you want your firewall as primary, then I recommend running cat5 from the ONT to your firewall and placing the Actiontec behind your firewall.
yozh1
Valley Stream, NY

yozh1

said by More Fiber:

The double bridge configuration is rather fragile, and I do not recommend it. i.e. it will not survive a reboot of the router.

If you want your firewall as primary, then I recommend running cat5 from the ONT to your firewall and placing the Actiontec behind your firewall.

Thanks for the reply.... So its simple as that, run a CAT 5 from the ONT to lets say my firewall and then place actiontec on my LAN side ? No ports needed to be open towards actiontec or STBs ?

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to yozh1

MVM

to yozh1
said by yozh1:

Why is there so many guides

No one configuration is right for everyone.
said by yozh1:

with stuff not working

What do you mean by that?
said by yozh1:

Do you need to open ports on you firewall ?

Not for VOD, guide data, or widgets.
said by yozh1:

Does the caller ID feature work ?

There have been conflicting reports on this. Initially it did not. That may have changed, but I have not been able to confirm.
yozh1
Valley Stream, NY

yozh1

said by More Fiber:

said by yozh1:

Why is there so many guides

No one configuration is right for everyone.
said by yozh1:

with stuff not working

What do you mean by that?
said by yozh1:

Do you need to open ports on you firewall ?

Not for VOD, guide data, or widgets.
said by yozh1:

Does the caller ID feature work ?

There have been conflicting reports on this. Initially it did not. That may have changed, but I have not been able to confirm.

Also mDVR is working ? I guess I`ll have to check Caller ID as I get to it ?

I do have to call VZ to get Ethernet port activated on the ONT and still keep the COAX for TV ?

Thanks again for the help guys

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by yozh1:

Also mDVR is working ?

mDVR is a LAN function. No WAN dependency.
said by yozh1:

I guess I`ll have to check Caller ID as I get to it ?

Serach on this subject. You may find some helpful threads.
said by yozh1:

I do have to call VZ to get Ethernet port activated on the ONT and still keep the COAX for TV ?

Yes, you have to call. And yes, TV stays on coax.
yozh1
Valley Stream, NY

yozh1

Great thanks. Ill give this a shot. Im still moving in so will need a bit time with this.
yozh1

yozh1

Ok VZ was able to switch me to Ethernet port on the ONT, I didnt move in fully yet so didnt move my firewall at this point. I did a speed test and speed seemed a little slower after the move to Ethernet. Im on 75/35 plan and was getting about 45 on my iPhone speedtest app last Saturday, today seem to be getting around 35 or so (this is for down). There shouldnt be any speed drop after moving to Ethernet on ONT correct ?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Don't trust speed tests on mobile devices - too many factors at play.

Test with a laptop/desktop plugged directly into ONT or router before looking into it further. It was likely just WiFi fluctuations. Speeds should be the same on MoCA/Ethernet.
yozh1
Valley Stream, NY

yozh1

Yeah I figured that... Just was checking... Ok will wait for the move in time and test with a laptop.
yozh1

yozh1

Went today to test again and pretty much same results as before.. So so far so good. Will add my firewall later and let you guys know, in mean time if anyone knows if Called ID needs ports open I`ll appreciate it. Also for remote DVR or anything else like that.