TSI Outages

ISP Employee

[Outages] Outage Report DSL/Cable 3:20 PM Sept 08th, 2013

Hello Everyone,

DSL customers in the following areas may be experiencing service interruptions:

• Brossard
• Malton
• Freelton

We are currently experiencing service interruptions with our cable internet service in the following areas;

• Comstock POI, Scarborough - RF issue - reported on 9/3/2013
• Scarlett POI, Etobicoke - RF issue - reported on 9/4/2013
• Newkirk POI, Markham- RF issue - reported on 9/5/2013
• Cutten POI, Guelph - RF issue - reported on 9/5/2013
• Cutten POI, Guelph - DHCP issue - reported on 9/6/2013
• St.Laurent POI, Ottawa - Routing issue - reported on 9/6/2013

We apologize for any inconvenience and are working to resolve these issues ASAP.

Thank you.
TSI Shawn S
TSI Outages

TSI Outages

ISP Employee

**Update**

Adding York POI issue

• York POI, London - RF issue - reported on 9/8/2013

Thank you,
TSI Shawn S

mau108
Mau
Premium Member
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON

mau108 to TSI Outages

Premium Member

to TSI Outages
Hey guys is there a dhcp issue at newkirk poi ? Me and few people on this forum are not getting an ip. I have no connection issue as my modem is synching up with the node no problem.

TSI Outages
TSI Support
ISP Employee
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON

2 edits

TSI Outages

ISP Employee

Hello Mau,

Thank you for your question,

There is no reported DHCP issue on the Newkirk POI at this time.
We will need to troubleshoot the connection with our technical support.

Unfotunately there is an hour wait time.

Thank you for your patience.

TSI Shawn S

mau108
Mau
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

mau108

Premium Member

»[Cable] Richmond Hill cable service outage

Bud not sure if you guys read the rest of the forum on top of that I haven't a response in the direct forum.

johnnybobby
@teksavvy.com

johnnybobby to TSI Outages

Anon

to TSI Outages
I'm fairly sure my service in downtown Toronto is out as well. Or at the very least so intermittent that it might as well be out.
bjlockie
join:2007-12-16
Ontario
Technicolor TC4350
Asus RT-AC56
Grandstream HandyTone 702/704

bjlockie to TSI Outages

to TSI Outages
said by TSI Outages:

We are currently experiencing service interruptions with our cable internet service in the following areas;

• Comstock POI, Scarborough - RF issue - reported on 9/3/2013
• Scarlett POI, Etobicoke - RF issue - reported on 9/4/2013
• Newkirk POI, Markham- RF issue - reported on 9/5/2013
• Cutten POI, Guelph - RF issue - reported on 9/5/2013
• Cutten POI, Guelph - DHCP issue - reported on 9/6/2013
• St.Laurent POI, Ottawa - Routing issue - reported on 9/6/2013

We apologize for any inconvenience and are working to resolve these issues ASAP.

Thank you.
TSI Shawn S

I thought there was only one POI since aggregation?

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020

Premium Member

said by bjlockie:

I thought there was only one POI since aggregation?

Yes there is a single aggregated POI but the old POIs still exist as part of the network. With rCable there can be many issues at this geographic extent hence TSI reporting the problems at a more granular level.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

what exactly is the routing issue at St-Laurent headend in Ottawa? what's causing it?

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Many people are using the term POI for "Head End" because it is ingrained Old habits die hard.

CraigRobinso
@bell.ca

CraigRobinso to TSI Outages

Anon

to TSI Outages
Cable internet in Guelph has been out for days too.
coldszlaw
join:2013-09-08
Guelph, ON

coldszlaw to TSI Outages

to TSI Outages
My connection in Guelph just came back (around 10:45 or so).
bimmerm3m5
join:2001-07-14
united state

bimmerm3m5 to mau108

to mau108
I am having the EXACT same issue. Signals are good, connection is made, but no DHCP. I HAD a connection for about 2 hours last night, until I tried connecting directly to a PC for testing...bad choice, lost DHCP for the test of the night. It finally worked again at around 4:30am this morning. Something is definitely broken at Newkirk.

As others have mentioned, the IP range is totally new. Doing a test on speedtest.net, my IP is identified as being in the Manitoba area.
CraigRobinso
join:2013-09-09

CraigRobinso to coldszlaw

to coldszlaw
Confirmed here too.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook to bimmerm3m5

Mod

to bimmerm3m5
The IP in MB is just a fluke in the geolocate database which is separate from rDNS.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that these IPs were previously assigned to Inukshuk (the Bell/Rogers partnership that seems to have been vapourware)

matazar
join:2011-09-20

1 edit

matazar to coldszlaw

to coldszlaw
Well now I can hope that my connection is back when I get home.

Edit: My computer just signed on to Trillian from home. New IP assigned. Getting tired of updating my name servers though. 192.0.xxx.xxx

mau108
Mau
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

mau108 to TSI Outages

Premium Member

to TSI Outages
ya I have received a 135.x.x.x ip address this morning when the service started working again.

Speedtest thinks I am in Saskatchewan I don't care I have internet! not going to reboot my router or modem. Luckily both are ups'ed so the only way I am going to get kicked off is when my ip lease expires or rogers f's up something.
DigitalRain
join:2013-03-16

DigitalRain to jmck

to jmck
Certain blocks of IP addresses beginning with 135.x (and possibly others) are not able to get online because of a routing problem. Something's misconfigured (likely at the head end) that's preventing traffic coming from client-side modems that are assigned these IP addresses (and in turn assigning them to client-side routers and computers) from being routed onto the Internet. I live in the St. Laurent POI and have a 198.84 address that I've had for ages and I've never had a routing problem with it.

As obvious as this may sound, one key thing to understand about Internet outages is that just because a problem is only affecting a few people within a given service area doesn't mean that the problem doesn't exist and that it doesn't require some sort of remote resolution either from TekSavvy or from the vendor in question.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook to TSI Outages

Mod

to TSI Outages
The geolocate databases that are used are not always up to date ... they are not an automatic distribution thing like DNS ... they are achieved by looking up the netblocks in ARIN and taking info and producing a database. They are done by assorted people and then charged for if for commercial use. As a result the companies that use them don't update them as often as one might like.

My suspicion is that these 135.23.* IPs were assigned to the Rogers/Bell consortium that vanished ... I think it was called Inukshuk Communications or something like that. Hence in old databases it shows these Northern locations.

Latest databases show either Toronto or Chatham.