spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dolph_USMC

join:2002-11-18
Austin, TX

Connectivity Issues, Are SB6120 Noise Levels in Range?

Hi All,
My parents have had connectivity and slow speed issues for over a year now. A tech had come out awhile back and told my parents that they had line issues, and that he'd have to dispatch another tech out to do some line replacement and troubleshooting (since most ISPs lease their lines); however, a tech never came out to replace lines, etc. I'm a Network Engineer, and know that replacing a modem won't generally resolve anything with line noise issues; however I HATE leased modems (theirs was an Arris), so I've recently installed, and configured, a new Motorola Surfboard (SB6120) to replace the Arris modem. Since I'm not real familiar with this modem; I've decided to post my log files, and SB6120 config screenshots, to see if my noise and power levels are in range, and that my config info looks correct. I did notice my total correctable code words are less than my uncorrectable, which I know can cause issues.
I'd appreciate any info y'all can give me in regards to this.

-Thanks
--
Sr. Network Admin & Systems Security Analyst

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:2

Would probably help if you included the screenshot with your post?

Expand your moderator at work

TurboNerd

join:2013-02-22
Clovis, NM
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Dolph_USMC

Re: Connectivity Issues, Are SB6120 Noise Levels in Range?

Screenshot or at least a post on those levels will help us help you.

Although I am putting money on your cabling. Wont say for sure

Line noise wow haven't heard that in a cable modem forum. For cable systems I believe it's ingress/egress (noise leaking in-interfering/leaking out/weaker)

egress caused latency issues in our drop that the cable modem recovers quickly enough but MTA failed so had ongoing phone issues and tech calls for YEARS.

But if that field tech said its a line techs job and that line tech hasn't come
I would assume that field tech is yet another trained monkey in a series of trained monkeys you will come across.

Call up and ask for a LINE TECH, if you want to trust the call center monkeys to do anything right. I was supposed to get a line tech many times but just another field tech.

Your smart (I see SR network admin in the signature granted I have learned by many PM's that signatures lie so I will take that with a grain of salt. I don't waste my time with a signature telling people I am responsible for the network at the call center I work for from time to time when their tool of a Netowork/Computer Systems Administrator fails to do his job for whatever BS reason but that's to be expected in a who you know place that changes names owners every other year its also a who you know town and idiots stand up for idiots but always call up the smart ones with a BIG check for a temp job wonder when they will learn they can just pay me his wage instead of paying me more to work less and not have a headache)

I hope you don't work with tools (if you don't know look it up) I feel sorry for you and am glad you have the patience to work with them. I don't tolerate working for less than myself (that's why I like being their go to answer to nobody but myself guy)

I assume your like myself handling your parents case for them so they don't get walked all over again just to get dicked around and walked all over yourself and that's why you haven't been on in a while.

DONT LET THE TECHS DICK YOU AROUND MAKE SURE YOU GET A LINE TECH
or get one of the guys here like SDL L3Tech to help you. They don't come on as frequently as we like but when they are on the case they GET THE JOB DONE no matter what it takes.

Good luck and DONT LET YOUR LINE ISSUE TURN INTO A 2.5 YEAR LONG ISSUE all along.

TurboNerd

join:2013-02-22
Clovis, NM
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Dolph_USMC

Oh crap I just saw USMC you do work with tools.
Did the Air Force thing since 9/11 they lowered the bar on who they let in the military so I left after working with tools that keep forgetting filling out their shit the last straw was when another AMU unit forgot to install 3 thrust bolts on an engine they installed.
Since then I learned its not just within our wing its all over the place in all the branches where even tools get promoted.