spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

shavkaca

join:2012-06-24

DIR-685 changes SSID by itself and loses wireless security

I have had D-link DIR-685 wireless router for two years now and it never gave me any trouble.
Just recently, it started to change SSID and lose wireless security by itself.
Basically what is does is that every morning a new SSID appears without any security whatsoever. The SSID becomes SSID2 (I mean, if for example my SSID is "hello" it will change to "hello2"). Whenever the SSID changes, the wireless security is lost as well (Currently I have WPA2).
I tried changing wireless security, changed keys number of times (thinking somebody might be tinkering with my wifi), changed wireless channel, asmin login password but nothing helped.
Whenever I coonnecto to the changed "SSID2" and then login in router, the router's wireless SSID shows the one it should (I mean my normal SSID) and security and password shows as WEP2 (as it should).
Whenever I restart the router it all changes to normal.
My firmware was 2.00NA when this strange thing started to happen. I did a reset couple of times and then manually configured router but it did not help.
I even found a 2.01NA firmware on Taiwanese D-link website and hopedd that would help but no luck either.

Any ideas?
Thanks

dragonman300

join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA
kudos:1
Have you try 30-30-30 reset?
If that doesn't help, I think its time to replace your Dlink DIR685
--
Curious about Sprint improved 3G and growing 4G LTE network? Then check it out at www.s4gru.com

shavkaca

30/30/30 reset does not seem to work on this unit at all.

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to shavkaca
Did you do a factory reset before FW upgrade then send the FW upgrade file, then one more factory reset after then set up the router from scratch?

Try using IE or FF to do this and set up the router.

Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use [»www.metageek.net to find out. How many?

There is a v2.02WW as well.

Try reviewing this and see if he helps any:
»forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=54498.0

shavkaca

I just did a factory reset after upgrade, not before that, but I will try now as you suggested.

As in regards with WiFi routers in the area, yes there are a lot, that's why I set the channel to 4 so that it would have less interference (checked it with inSSIDer).

The firmware V2.02WW is not for NA routers, so the router does not accept it, although I tried it before.

Thanks for the link, I will go through it and will report.

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
reply to shavkaca
Keep us posted.

BTW I installed v2.02 on my NA 685 and is working. However I only use it as a WIRED NAS now.

shavkaca

I tried to upload v2.02WW and the router did not accept it.
Is yours hardware V1 and NA?
if so, can you please link me to the firmware?
Thanks

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
reply to shavkaca
Mine is.

Use this process to get v2.02WW loaded:
»forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=44909.0

shavkaca

Thanks for info and Link Bimmer.
I tried uploading firmware with the method stated but it still would not do it.
But, reading the link you posted, I stumbled upon this:
10:18
VU#924307: D-Link DIR-685 Xtreme N storage router WPA/WPA2 encryption failure
Vulnerability Note VU#924307
D-LINK DIR-685 XTREME N STORAGE ROUTER WPA/WPA2 ENCRYPTION FAILURE
Overview
The D-Link DIR-685 Xtreme N storage router is reported to fail open to an unencrypted wireless connection during heavy network load.
I. Description
The D-Link DIR-685 Xtreme N storage router when configured with WPA/WPA2 and an AES cipher with a pre-shared key (PSK) will fail to an open unencrypted wireless connection during heavy network load, such as, the transfer of several gigabytes of data. The router's wireless connection will remain in an open unencrypted state until the device is rebooted.
II. Impact
An attacker within physical range of the wireless router may be able to connect to the router's network without having to authenticate and then sniff traffic and also use the victim's Internet connection to launch other attacks.
III. Solution
We are currently unaware of a practical solution to this problem.
Vendor Information
VendorStatusDate NotifiedDate Updated D-Link Systems, Inc.Affected2011-08-292011-10-10
References
»www.dlink.com/products/?pid=DIR-685&tab=3
Credit
Thanks to Jerry Decime for reporting this vulnerability.
This document was written by Jared Allar.

Thanks again...

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to shavkaca
Keep us posted on how WEP works for you. I didn't test out Wifi on the 685 as the one time I did, it was ok and did't have any issues. The main problem at the time was DHCP server on the router was not working well. Someone said it was resolved with v2.02 which I didn't confirm. It's a wired NAS now. Hope WEP works for you. Let know if you want help with v2.02WW.

shavkaca

it usually loses encryption during night, so should be able to update you tomorrow
Thanks for your support!

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
reply to shavkaca

shavkaca

reply to shavkaca
The encryption was lost this morning again
I am thinking o trying WEP now... maybe that helps?
Currently I am using DIR-685 in an AP-mode, (as I have a Cisco VPN router which does all the job), so I am thinking of changing AP mode to standard router mode?
Don't know, kind of lost in here... It looks like a hardware problem...

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
reply to shavkaca
If in AP mode, what channels are you using? They should be different from the main host router.

Are there other WiFi routers near by? This could be also causing interferences. Use InSSIDer app to see whats around you.

shavkaca

Basically my setup is following:
Cable Modem>Cisco RVS4000 (non wirelesss VPN router)>Lan computers and DIR-685.
The best available channel acccording to inSSIDer was 4 so I have had it on channel 4 for around a year now and never gave me any problems except for losing encyption which started around 2 weeks ago.
I wonder why it does so at night... Especially there are no ffiles being transferred or anything at night...

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
reply to shavkaca
How many other WiFi neighbors do you have?

Ya, it's odd that only at night it does this...would be interesting to see if v2.02WW does the same thing...

shavkaca

There are probably 15 other WiFis' in range...
How do you recommend uploading 2.02WW?

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to shavkaca
I'm wondering if having that many could be the cause of the problem...upgrading may not help then. Only other way to find out would be to take the 685 to a different location and test it out, someplace were there isn't any or just a few other WiFi's near by.

What browser did you use to view recovery mode web page?

shavkaca

I was trying to update it with Firefox, then tried it with IE.
I am just curious, can the fact that it is in Access Point Mode be causing this?
I will try without AP mode tonight...

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to shavkaca
Do the following:
Remove any HDDs.

Factory reset the 685. Let it come to ready. Then go in and follow the Recovery process. I think I did mine on a Mac using Safari, however FF is reported the best method of working with FW. Have the v2.02 .bin file on the desktop. It should work. Be sure to disable any 3rd party security SW and stuff like that temporarily while you do this.

Let us know.

shavkaca

I still was not able to upload the firmware, although tried everything...
But Yesterday I changed encryption to WEP Open (128 bit) just to try it... and it has not lost encryption over the night or hanged the SSID, although instead of getting 80mbps over wireless now I am getting just about 15mbps.

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
reply to shavkaca
Hmm...wonder why you can't get v2.02 on.

WEP has slower performance of the security modes.

shavkaca

yeah and I am losing roughly 60mbps this way... but wireless is working
I wonder if DIR-685 is not capable (in reality) to handle higher speeds for long? (although Smallnetbuilder has speed test for this device and it is nearly on the top of the list for WAN/LAN perfrmance, but way lower for wireless)

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to shavkaca
Well, unfortunately, the 685 wasn't the greatest router during it's time and had problems. From my short duration with it as my main host router. I could see why. And it's a shame too, really had some good features and ideas and I like the idea of putting in your own HDD too. I haven't tried anything better than a 320Gb and not sure what the the limit is if any. Streaming from it has been good via wired connection though. I put all my MP4 movies on it. The couple of times I streamed from to to my xbox and DISH Joey, video was great. The wireless if I remember was ok. I didn't do any xfer speed tests, was mainly basic operation to see what everyone was complaining about. After v2.02 came out and seemed to fix the DHCP server issue, that was it. Most people moved on and did other things.

There is a after life project going on with 3rd party user FW development. Theres been some activity however nothing major yet. Not sure if this would be something you might get involved with.

I supposed I could turn my Wifi back on this unit while in wired AP mode and see how it does. I might do that to nite anyways and test. I'll post my settings and results tomorrow. I'll leave it run over nite. All be setting either mixed G and N or Single mode N with WPA2/AES only.

shavkaca

Thanks Bimmer for your support!
I am leaving on a trip tomorrow for couple of days and I think it's best to switch off my router, as if it loses encryption everyone within range can get into my LAN and surf DIR-685 hard drive as well as other NAS I have on network.

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to shavkaca
Good idea.

Well, I turned on the Wifi on my 685. Side the fact that 1 xbox 360 could not connect to it using Single mode N, WPA2/AES only, I presume there is a problem between them and is probably on the 685. I could connect my Mac Book Pro and iPhones ok. I had to eventually turn off the WiFi and go back to my main host routers Wifi so we could play xbox so testing time wasn't good. I'll run another test and reconfigure the Wifi for Mix all modes and auto security and see if I can get the xbox to connect then leave it going over nite. Have a fun trip.

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to shavkaca
Ok, so I went back and reconfigured the 685 for Mixed G and N modes and WPA2 Only using BOTH Cypher types and now I was able to get the xbox to connect. We played for a few hours last nite and had a good time. No issues seen. I woke up this morning and my iPhone connected to the SSID and was surfing. I connected my Mac Book Pro to the same SSID and works well. I'll go back and see what Single mode N is doing. So far it's working well using v2.02.

shavkaca

Hi Bimmer,
Just got back home and will continue experimenting on Wireless.
I was just wondering, could this be because the internet speed is quite fast (up to 80mbps) and wireless can not cope with it? With WEP it seems to work fine (as WEP limits speed to roughly 20mbps)... Not sure, just as a possibility?
Many thanks for your support!

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to shavkaca
Not sure if ISP Speed would have an impact. I kind of doubt it. Mines 50/2 and has been working well here. Any chance you could take the 865 to a different location, like a friend or families place with a different router, modem and ISP speeds and see. WEP has the lowest WiFi performance.

So one thing I finally found out about mine, the 2nd gen 360 WiFi and single mode N, WPA2 and AES only does not work. It works with my 1st gen 360 and MS USB dual band WiFi adapter though. Had to switch back to Mixed G and N, WPA2 and TPIK and AES modes to get 2nd gen 360 to work. Does work after that. We played well however I noticed that after a while having both xboxes on the WiFi, our in game signal started to deteriorate. So I disconnected my WiFi on my xbox and went back to wired. Gaming was good after that for 2nd gen 360.

Where are you located?

shavkaca

I am in CT...
Not really someone around I am thinking I could take the router to and they could monitor it
Just as an idea, how will it behave if I changed encryption to WPA TKIP (TKIP in this case should limit wireless speed to roughly 25Mbps,,, G speeds)...
But, even if this works, I still would not be able to utilize the whole potential of my cable.