spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Lactose

join:2013-09-08
Chandler, AZ

CenturyLink is causing Twitch.tv throttling?

I haven't been able to watch a stream since the start of September because of the massive lag spikes I have been experiencing. I used a free VPN to test and mysteriously everything went away. Previous to September I could have multiple streams at max resolution and wouldn't have any problems.

Every other streaming service I used this month has been fine.

This isn't an isolated incident either. Looks like a lot of Phoenix, AZ residents are having this issue:
»help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/q···ream-lag

Is there anything the "official" tech support people can look into in getting this resolved?

cyrusthegrea

@qwest.net

I'm experiencing the exact same issue; it started in the late/early days of Aug/Sep and still continues.

I live in the Phoenix Area and use Centurylink service.

I only have this problem with twitch live streams when viewing anything above 480p. Recorded content from twitch buffers and plays at "source" quality without issue.

This is a very frustrating issue

bctrainers

join:2004-08-03
Olathe, KS
reply to Lactose

I was going to post a thread regarding this in August, as i had observed the same issues. However went against post it as I thought it was something on TwitchTV's end with some of their routes being a bit wonky at the time. However, this topic appears to be against that case now.

Ustream and TwitchTV/JustinTV have severe stuttering/buffering issues once you set your stream quality over 480p/medium. On many streams that I watch, I am unable to set the stream quality to anything but "Source" or whatever the person streaming is broadcasting at.

The streams seem to have severe QoS limits set in place from 12pm to 12am each and every day. I noticed the most severe limiting was during the weekends when i am unable to watch TTV even at 480p, and have to reduce it down to 240p to just watch it. That's pretty annoying needless to say.

When I swapped over to my Sprint or Verizon LTE connections, these issues went away instantly. When I used my VPN from my server in Dallas, TX - absolutely no stuttering or buffering. These issues popped up around July 18th for me and have been as such ever since. Some of the streams that i can watch on TTV are not from TTV's 'nearby' CDN's. Those of which being Chicago, IL and Dallas, TX. Which begs me to wonder that if there's some intentional rate limiting at play on qwest's/centurytel's backbone to any of their residential subscribers.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3
reply to Lactose

said by Lactose:

Is there anything the "official" tech support people can look into in getting this resolved?

The quickest way to get CL Tech Support involved is to send an email to: talktous@centurylink.com

The only other suggestion, based on reading similar threads, is to try different DNS servers (like OpenDNS or Google).

cyrusthegrea

@qwest.net
reply to bctrainers

said by bctrainers:

The streams seem to have severe QoS limits set in place from 12pm to 12am each and every day

Interesting. 3 AM here in phoenix, AZ and having no issue viewing any stream on twitch at the moment.

bctrainers

join:2004-08-03
Olathe, KS

Possible its rate-limited by region then?

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to Lactose

Probably the result of a congested peering port. I highly doubt they would intentionally limit Twitch specifically.

Lactose

join:2013-09-08
Chandler, AZ
reply to billaustin

said by billaustin:

The only other suggestion, based on reading similar threads, is to try different DNS servers (like OpenDNS or Google).

Just used a program that finds the fastest DNS server for you and switched to a qwest dns. Seems to have fixed it for now.

percy

join:2007-06-02
Eden Prairie, MN

see my recent thread - same video streaming issue/resolution here. OpenDNS and General Mills dns worked much better than Google dns for me.

woolhide

join:2013-09-09
reply to Lactose

I've been looking everywhere on the web about qwest/centurylink possibly throttling but had no luck until this post. (found a few about time warner but that's it)

This lag started about a week ago for me.
Youtube (or any other type of web streaming that creates a buffer by downloading certain portion of video) works just as fine as before.
Only real time streams are lagging hard.
It is completely unwatchable even at "med" quality (480p).
However, during maybe 1~2 am to before noon, I can play "source" (1080p) without any lag.
Any other type of service is unaffected.

I'm from Colorado. Looking at how only qwest/centurylink users are affected across the nation, i'm going to have to point finger at qwest.

cyrusthegrea

@qwest.net

said by woolhide:

I'm from Colorado. Looking at how only qwest/centurylink users are affected across the nation, i'm going to have to point finger at qwest.

This related post on twitch's forums shows that centurylink/qwest customers in AZ, NM, CO are experiencing the same problem beginning at roughly Sep 1.
Expand your moderator at work

cyrusthegrea

@qwest.net
reply to cyrusthegrea

Re: CenturyLink is causing Twitch.tv throttling?

said by Anon80:

This related post on twitch's forums

Woops, forgot the link.

»help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/q···ream-lag

woolhide

join:2013-09-09
reply to woolhide

Looks like there have been many complaints directly to twitch, as twitch refers those as "centurylink users". Pretty much confirms that this is indeed mostly centurylink issue.

»twitter.com/TwitchTVSupport/stat···31258881

cyrusthegrea

@qwest.net

I contacted centurylink support and provided details, time frame, hours, etc. The response, you ask?

Centurylink: "I've checked the circuit and there is no problem or congestion"

Should have figured. I asked the guy to forward the info upstream to his network team. I hope he did.

ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink
·T-Mobile US
reply to cyrusthegrea

cyrusthegrea, A lot of streaming services such as TWIT.Tv have trouble playing live while pre-recorded shows play OK and there's not much you can do about it at your end. It depends on the way they are streaming, how much they compress the video, which streaming service they use, congestion along the way, the player being used, etc. If you can switch streams from Ustream to justin.tv or Bitgravity that might help and changing players can help too. Playing it on a PC might work better than on a Roku or Android Mini PC for instance. If you are using wi-fi the wireless router can make a big difference too! I tried a number of different models of Netgear and D-Link routers but none of them streamed video very well and I finally settled on a Linksys Rangemax model WRT110 that works well. The WRT120 and 160 work well also.
Switching the DNS helped with my problem playing Netflix on the Roku so I'd try that too.

Aorrta

@qwest.net

It seems Twitch and CentruryLink are looking into it.

»help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/q···turylink

Maurice2u

@qwest.net

Thankfully they've finally gotten together on addressing this. I think it is pretty clear it is just a policy/peering issue. Twitch has to show them their 'caps' are causing an issue with their (CenturyLinks) customers worthy of an adjustment, and not get charged an additional fee for the prioritization. That's why they wanted customers pinging CL even though they had more than enough data on their end to understand the problem. Same as with the other provider issues before (google Comcast, ATT, etc streaming issues).

Hopefully they work out a deal, or better yet CL just gives the protocols a 'tweak' up that clears enough bitrate for live video. Of course they are all in business, so just giving up something for nothing doesn't sound very likely. Long as it is expedient, doesn't matter to me. We pay too much for "fast internet" only to be limited by these artificial protocols.

Maurice2u

@qwest.net

Got an email today from CL, and I'm streaming on max "Source" w/ no issues today. Hopefully this is the end of it.

"""Twitch.tv has attempted a fix on their end. Can you test for me and let me know if it’s working? You might need to do a 2 minute power off, then power back on your modem before testing.

Curt Jones
Broadband Support (Escalations)
Boise, ID
Curt.Jones@CenturyLink.com"""

ZetiX

@qwest.net
reply to Lactose

Installing this Google Chrome extension fixed the lag for me. Before i can barely watch twitch streams on low setting, with this extension i can now watch streams on source+high settings.

»chrome.google.com/webstore/detai···ntp-icon