how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ooglek

join:2004-11-17
Falls Church, VA

[Equipment] iPhone 5S (or 6) and Verizon

I currently have two iPhone 4S phones on Sprint. With my discount, $110/month. While their customer service is fine, and the price is good, their 3G network is atrocious, or worse. I've been with Sprint for 11 years, but the pain of their 3G data network is killing me. Their LTE network seems a bit better, but coverage doesn't seem great in the DC market.

I'm likely going to get the new iPhone being announced Tuesday 9/10/13. From what I've read, while AT&T has the fastest network in the US, Verizon has the most reliable and consistent.

»www.pcmag.com/Fastest-Mobile-Networks/

I'm trying to find out the best price on a plan with Verizon I can get. I just chatted with a Verizon rep who told me my bundle of FiOS Internet + TV with Wireless service would save me $10/month. When I asked how much I would save if I brought my own phone, she said it's the same price either way.

GAH!? The carrier subsidy on phones is $300-500 over 2 years. And they won't give a break? That seems ludicrous (and a big giant money-maker for Verizon).

Has anyone gotten a BYOD discount? Do you have to ask nicely on the phone?

I'm on the east coast (DC) and am looking to share 2GB data.
--
FIOS Installed November 2, 2004: 30Mbps down, 5Mbps up
Hate Spam? Sue Spammers! »www.angryox.com/vaspam/

ooglek

Falls Church, VA
Also, I'm curious about Verizon's customer service and any other input that might help me make a decision. Thanks!
--

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI
reply to ooglek
i have brought my own device to VZW and i did not get any discount for doing so. If your gonna sign a two year contract take an offer on the subsidised phones. there will be TWO iphones announced tomorrow the iPhone 5s and the 5c the 5s will be the "higher end model" with talk of it having a finger print sensor. The 5C will be entry / mid range more like the current iPhone 5 will have to wait for their announcement. On to bundle deals. I used to have to bundle with DSL , phone , wireless. However all your billing eggs are in ONE basket its better to keep your verizon wireless bill DIRECT through verizon wireless. When you bundle your wireless bill is no longer billed through verizon wireless but instead goes through verizon residential this is not always good. If there is a billing snafu or you want to dump the TV crap or something it can be a hassle to untangle the billing.

ooglek

Falls Church, VA
Thanks Norbert26. So you think the pain if resolving billing issues is not worth $120/year savings?

I'm decidedly in the 5S or 6 camp. The fingerprint sensor is kind of cool, though I hope it is more than a novelty.

Verizon's coverage really does seem to be superior to AT&T's, and I'm not going to wait any longer for Sprint to get their act together with LTE in DC. I know Sensorly says there is 4G in DC, but it's not official, and I want solid coverage in the DC area, and Verizon seems to be the only carrier doing it.

The other issue is that Verizon's network consistently had a better response time in testing. Most people look at the bandwidth numbers, but most sites can't push a sustained 10-15Mbps to your phone even if you can take it. I'll take faster response and higher success rate over higher speed, and in that area Verizon seems to take the cake.

Looking at Verizon's pricing though, since they don't give you a BYOD discount, $140/month for 2 iPhones with 2GB data each is less than T-Mobile, where you have $100/month plan plus 2x$27/month for a 32GB iPhone 5 ($154/month total). Even Sprint comes out to $150/month on their website with unlimited data (which I don't really need).

Huh, even now I'm paying $133.49 for Sprint with 2 iPhones with a discount, total of $145/month with taxes and such. Ouch!

Looks like Verizon may even be cheaper, though with limited data. Sweet!
--

kevnich24

join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL
I've never had any billing issues with verizon. They don't do byod discounts at all and you can't use any other phone but a verizon cell phone anyway. You can technically use att iphone 5 on verizon but I know it doesn't have all the bands that verizon uses so there's some areas that it doesn't work. The only advantage to buying your own verizon cell and bringing it is that you get to avoid the 2 year contract....BUT you pay the same amount. I don't agree with this at all but not like they listen to their customers.

As far as coverage, they do have the most reliable coverage of all I've tested so far. Granted, as a company I'm not a big fan of them because their prices are definitely too high IMO, but the saying goes you get what you pay for. The only other carrier with coverage even close to verizon is ATT.

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI
reply to ooglek
if you don't mind being married to verizon residential and your not moving and want to stay on VZW long term its OK to bundle if saving $10 a month is important. I simply dropped Verizon DSL and Verizon landline phone and in my case i was able to separate / unbundle my VZW from landline billing. Some people have had issues unbundling the billing . Just keep in mind when you bundle you will be locked into certain packages on the TV / Residental stuff to get the $10 discount.

ooglek

Falls Church, VA
reply to kevnich24
Thanks for the info kevnich24. Can you back up your opinion about pricing with data?

I priced out all 4 carriers with new iPhone 5 32GB phones with at least 2GB data each, at least 1400 voice minutes, unlimited text, and excluding taxes, fees and initial phone charges*:

AT&T: $190/month
Sprint: $150/month
T-Mobile: $154/month ($100 plan, $54 phones)
Verizon: $150/month

Verizon seems the most reasonably priced. Even at 6GB for both phones, it's cheaper than AT&T. The whole unlimited thing seems silly to me -- I'm on Wifi most of the time, I barely use 1GB/mo on Sprint unless I'm traveling a lot.

With a $10 bundle discount, it's cheaper. And I'll look into a business discount too. If anyone has info on how to get a discount out of Verizon, beyond corporate email, fill us in!

* Sprint & T-Mobile offer unlimited data only; AT&T 3GB; Verizon 4GB shared (2 each phone)
--

HonestEnd

join:2006-03-01
Sterling Heights, MI
Thanks for the info kevnich24. Can you back up your opinion about pricing with data?

I priced out all 4 carriers with new iPhone 5 32GB phones with at least 2GB data each, at least 1400 voice minutes, unlimited text, and excluding taxes, fees and initial phone charges*:

AT&T: $190/month
Sprint: $150/month
T-Mobile: $154/month ($100 plan, $54 phones)
Verizon: $150/month

Verizon seems the most reasonably priced. Even at 6GB for both phones, it's cheaper than AT&T. The whole unlimited thing seems silly to me -- I'm on Wifi most of the time, I barely use 1GB/mo on Sprint unless I'm traveling a lot.

With a $10 bundle discount, it's cheaper. And I'll look into a business discount too. If anyone has info on how to get a discount out of Verizon, beyond corporate email, fill us in!

* Sprint & T-Mobile offer unlimited data only; AT&T 3GB; Verizon 4GB shared (2 each phone)
--
You sure about that? I have a feeling you're not comparing apples to apples. Verizon doesn't advertise their individual data plans leaving you with their Shared Data Plans only. To be fair, you have to compare their 4GB shared plan to AT&T's Mobile Share plan in which case they are EXACTLY the same price for the same package. AT&T and Verizon both mirror each other's pricing up to the 10GB mark. AT&T might actually be a little bit cheaper since they still offer individual data plans for some people.

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
kudos:1
reply to ooglek
I am not happy with verizons soo called "reliable network".. But if your happy with them whatever.. Just pray you don't have any problems. They will give you a static answer that you should have checked coverage in your area before subscribing even though the G.D map says your clearly covered!!

.. Sorry, I'm just Freakin done with verizon and cannot wait till we migrate