Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

blastmain
Premium
join:2002-02-14
Paradise Valley, AZ

Help: Configuring 2nd SSID on CL Actiontec PK5000

I'd like to allow a houseguest to use my CenturyLink DSL without compromising the security of my LAN, and without any additional hardware. Setting up a second SSID seems like the best way to do this, but I'm a bit uncertain about some parts of the configuration. I have activated a second "guest" SSID and set the bandwidth limitation. I have the option to "Set SSID in Separate Subnet" which makes sense, to avoid IP conflicts. I have set the DHCP start and end addresses to, for example, 192.168.88.1 and 192.168.88.254, but am uncertain what values would go in the "SSID Subnetmask" and "Gateway Address" fields. There is also an option to "Select SSID URL redirect." I'd appreciate any other suggestions that would help make this setup more secure.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

Try a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
The Gateway address is the IP that the router assigns to itself. Usually it is the first IP before the IP Address on the first SSID.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

blastmain
Premium
Paradise Valley, AZ

2 edits

Thanks very much for your assistance. When I leave the Gateway address field blank, I get an "invalid IP" error. When I fill in the IP used by the router for the original SSID, I get "The Gateway IP is as same as the router's IP, please use another address." Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

Hazy Arc

join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Embarq Now Centu..
reply to blastmain

What IP range and subnet did you use for your "original" network? The networks have to be separate.

Example Configuration -
First SSID:
Gateway/Router - 192.168.1.1
DHCP range - 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.255
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Second SSID:
Gateway/Router - 192.168.2.1
DHCP range - 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.255
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

blastmain
Premium
Paradise Valley, AZ

Yes, they are separate, just like your example. The router accepts those settings with no error, but after the remote device logs into the "new" network, it times out waiting for an IP address.

Hazy Arc

join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Embarq Now Centu..

Is there an area to enter a DHCP server? I don't have the Actiontec, but it sounds like the Actiontec doesn't know it's supposed to be handing out IP addresses on that subnet.

What happens if you set a static IP on that device inside of that subnet?

blastmain
Premium
Paradise Valley, AZ

Turning off the DHCP server did allow the device to connect to the guest network. (Edit: the device says it's connected to the guest network, but it's using an IP address from the original network range.) I'd really like to have it on for my original network, but the DHCP settings are under a different "heading" of the router management pages (SSIDs are in "Wireless Setup" and DHCP settings are in "Advanced Settings"). So it *appears* that the DHCP settings are not SSID-specific. I'm still not quite sure why the device connected to the guest network (instead of trying the original) and the original network is still visible, so I guess I need to turn off "Broadcast SSID". Thanks very much for your patience!