Search similar:

uniqs

GregH
@myvzw.com

GregH

Anon

Can someone tell me what this is

Click for full size
This is installed on a new construction home and I have not been able to talk to the owners yet. I was wondering what type of internet service uses a device like this... or if it is not for internet, what is it?

I live in the neighborhood, but thought I was relegated to horribly slow frontier DSL.

Thank you.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

WiFi antenna from a "WISP" (assuming there are any wireless ISPs in your area.) Fixed LTE installation. Or possibly an HDTV antenna.

GorbGuy
join:2003-09-23
Middleville, MI

GorbGuy to GregH

to GregH
As cramer stated, WiMax. Looks like an Alvarion antenna, same as my WISP uses.

GregH
@myvzw.com

GregH

Anon

Thanks guys! I tracked down the company offering this service. I hope it's faster than my DSL!

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to GregH

MVM

to GregH
Looks like a rather shabby wireless installation.

I mean, they didnt even cut the tail off the cable tie? Seriously?
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

voxframe to GregH

to GregH
I was gonna say the same. No quality there my friend. Cabling is done like shit, tie wraps not even cut... You're seeing 10% of the entire installation, and it's already badly done.

I SMELL XPLORNET?

Either it's some mom-n-pop hacked up WISP wannabe, or a seriously bad subcontracted installer.

The equipment looks like Alvarion, so that's not cheap stuff. So probably big boys with dumbass installers (*Cough* XPLORNET).

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to TomS_

to TomS_
"I mean, they didnt even cut the tail off the cable tie?"

I can't stand that. I was at a customer's cage 2 weeks ago and I couldn't stand it and had to cut all the tails off. That's just a lack of attention to detail and shows you just don't give a shit about your quality of work.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_

MVM

Even worse than this is when they cut it off, but leave jagged edges. I have some nice scars on my hands and arms from this kind of thing...

Reaching in to the depths of a rack can do bad things to a man.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

If you use wire ties in my network you better use a gun to trim them flush.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to GregH

Premium Member

to GregH
We don't trim zip ties for that exact reason... we like not bleeding to death every time we have to work around those damned things. The only ones I cut are in places you aren't going to be messing with them.

(also, we never trim a single one of them in the race car. I do try to fold them back so they aren't adding to the natural rattle )
voxframe

voxframe to GregH

to GregH
Trim them flush and you don't have that problem. Then you solve both issues.

If people take the time to do the job right, with the right tools, you don't have either problems.

On our towers, if people don't cut the tails, their stuff is removed. Catch one in the eye when climbing and you'll have more to worry about than a scratch from it being cut un-evenly.

Granted they should never be used on towers in the first place, they do have their place in some areas. (ID tags etc).

Sloppy work.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

workablob to TomS_

to TomS_
said by TomS_:

Even worse than this is when they cut it off, but leave jagged edges. I have some nice scars on my hands and arms from this kind of thing...

Reaching in to the depths of a rack can do bad things to a man.

Or reaching into a copy maching, touching the corona terminal.

It won't hurt you but it makes you hurt yourself as you retract your arm at the speed of sound leaving bits of skin behind.

Blob
voxframe

voxframe to GregH

to GregH
LMAO! Done that one.

Rhaas
Premium Member
join:2005-12-19
Bernie, MO

Rhaas to GregH

Premium Member

to GregH
Looks like a Gemtek CPE, maybe a Cambium PMP320 install.

HarryTorres
Harry Torres
Premium Member
join:2001-11-21
Easton, PA

HarryTorres to GregH

Premium Member

to GregH
WiMAX antenna maybe?

CHPMustang
N X T1
Premium Member
join:2001-10-18
Plano, TX

CHPMustang to GregH

Premium Member

to GregH
My in laws in Gilbert AZ has one of those still on their roof from many years ago when they had internet service thru Sprint.

They have had Qwest since then.