Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

Bell taking the Feds to court

So that's 2 of the Robellus cartel that are going after the feds for changing the new entrant roaming rules.

What's Bell's problem? The intial deal was for 5yrs and they no longer had to share towers or providing roaming on their network. Industry Canada changed to infinite and reduces the time for arbitration (remember when the new players launched they were fought on every single tower they wanted on).

They also take issue with the new entrants being able to get 2 "slices" of the 700mhz spectrum.

This is not about allowing them to use their towers or roam on their networks , it's about kneecapping the new players. So basically it's ok to kneecap new players, but don't you dare kneecap us.

If you don't have an "away" area where you can roam on the incumbents network (for a price of course) you don't have a business. And if you don't have a business, well, we here at Robellus would be happy to pick up the pieces for you.

2ndly what's the problem? They're not using towers or roaming for free, Bell is getting paid for this.

As for the spectrum they obviously believe in competition, and that the deepest pockets win, there is no way any of the new players (even if they combined their resources) could outbid Robellus.

»www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o···4182025/
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Nitra

join:2011-09-15
Montreal

You expected differently?

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to elwoodblues

"BCE argues that the federal government cannot retroactively change conditions of wireless licences it bought years ago."

I'm sorry - "bought"? Didn't they get them for free?

Cliffy
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Kitchener, ON

So a carrier is complaining about someone changing the contract after it has been agreed to?

I hope someone points out to the judge how often telcos change customers contracts after signing.
--
there's a fine line between a rut and a groove.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to elwoodblues

They're talking about the AWS spectrum that Bell bought.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to corster

Also, I don't think you can "own" spectrum, it all belongs to Industry Canada and licensed to entities.

FiberToTheX
Premium
join:2013-03-14
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to corster

said by corster:

"BCE argues that the federal government cannot retroactively change conditions of wireless licences it bought years ago."

I'm sorry - "bought"? Didn't they get them for free?

Yes they did.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

....As for the spectrum they obviously believe in competition, and that the deepest pockets win, there is no way any of the new players (even if they combined their resources) could outbid Robellus....

OTOH, even if the playing field WAS 'leveled' in the ways that Robellus wants, Big Cats like Verizon similarly could STILL outbid even the combined resources of Robellus, due to Verizon's even deeper pockets.

So let everyone bid on all of the spectrum, and let the chips fall where they may.

Our 3 floundering newcomers have all made rumblings that they would each like to be assimilated anyway, so how serious can they be at this point about buying ANY new spectrum anyway ?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to FiberToTheX

No, they didn't. We're talking about conditions on the AWS spectrum that the big three paid a hefty amount for. While they did indeed get tons of free spectrum in the past, that's not the spectrum they're complaining about here.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

OTOH, even if the playing field WAS 'leveled' in the ways that Robellus wants, Big Cats like Verizon similarly could STILL outbid even the combined resources of Robellus, due to Verizon's even deeper pockets.

There is no point in mentioning Verizon still when they're out of the picture and are not coming here.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Cliffy

said by Cliffy:

So a carrier is complaining about someone changing the contract after it has been agreed to?

I hope someone points out to the judge how often telcos change customers contracts after signing.

Exactly, it's Ok for these companies to do the same things to their customers but not for IC. They don't "own" the spectrum; it is licensed to them.